Army: The $1bn approved to fight insurgency hasn’t been released

Must read

SOKAPU Donates Food Items, Drugs, Blankets To Over 10,000 IDPs in Kaduna

By Gabriel Udeh, Kaduna  Southern Kaduna Peoples Union (SOKAPU), yesterday donated food items, clothes, blankets...

Bandits unlease terror, killed 6, burnt 8 houses in Southern kaduna

...As army says it repels same By Gabriel Udeh, Kaduna Southern Kaduna insecurity situation has ...

Multiple Court orders threaten Anambra election, INEC warns

The multiplicity of Court Orders constitutes a major threat to the conduct of the November 6 Anambra governorship election the Independent National...

UAE to lift ban on transit flights from Nigeria, others

The United Arab Emirates, UAE, will on Thursday lift a ban on transit flights from Nigeria, India and Pakistan.

The Nigerian army says it is yet to get $1 billion approved to fight insurgency and other security challenges in the country.

In 2017, the national economic council (NEC) approved the request of the current administration to withdraw $1 billion from the excess crude account (ECA) for the fight against insurgency.

Fielding questions on Weekend File, a news programme on the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), Sani Usman, spokesman of the army, said the money is still being processed.

“People should understand also that this is a democratic system in which procurement and of course funding of defense related issues takes such a long time,” he said.

READ  Eid-el-Fitr: Hamzat urges Nigerians to watch their actions so it doesn't affect others negatively

“Take for instance the issue of the $1 billion approved recently by Mr. President, up till now the process is ongoing. The ministry of defense is still pursuing the matter to the point that when it is done, the armed forces will definitely get more equipment, more arms and ammunition.”

In April, Garba Shehu, presidential spokesman, had said the president’s approval wasn’t final as a draft bill would be sent to the national assembly for consideration.

Usman, however, said at the moment, what the armed forces have and what have been procured over the last two to three years is being used judiciously.

Recently, Boko Haram insurgents attacked military formations in the north-east, and many had blamed this on lack of sufficient equipment, but Usman said “to the best of our abilities, all the necessary equipment, ammunition and arms are being given.”

He expressed sadness over the recent killings of troops, and said legal action would be taken on those fabricating figures around the casualties.

READ  Anti-open grazing bill to be passed soon – Oyo Speaker

“So sad and unfortunate that our troops came under enemy attack on the 18th of last month and we suffered causality as we mentioned. Sadly, we lost 23 gallant officers and men and of course some of them sustained injuries,” he said.

“In respect of the effort, we are trying as much as possible to make sure that first and foremost we give timely and accurate information on all our activities and operations bearing national security concern.

READ  Jikwoyi residents in Abuja protest against AEDC poor services

“And then secondly, we have gone a north further to identify where those fake news and fabricated stories are coming from, and definitely our legal department is taking step to make sure that all those involved would be taken to court.

He added that Tukur Buratai, chief of army staff, and the hierarchy of the army have been going round to meet with the troops in different locations

Copyright DAYBREAK.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from DAYBREAK NEWS.

More articles

Latest article

SOKAPU Donates Food Items, Drugs, Blankets To Over 10,000 IDPs in Kaduna

By Gabriel Udeh, Kaduna  Southern Kaduna Peoples Union (SOKAPU), yesterday donated food items, clothes, blankets...

Bandits unlease terror, killed 6, burnt 8 houses in Southern kaduna

...As army says it repels same By Gabriel Udeh, Kaduna Southern Kaduna insecurity situation has ...

Multiple Court orders threaten Anambra election, INEC warns

The multiplicity of Court Orders constitutes a major threat to the conduct of the November 6 Anambra governorship election the Independent National...

UAE to lift ban on transit flights from Nigeria, others

The United Arab Emirates, UAE, will on Thursday lift a ban on transit flights from Nigeria, India and Pakistan.

Matawalle Suspends Joint Task Force In Zamfara, Calls For Restructuring

The Zamfara State Governor,  Bello Matawalle has approved the immediate suspension of all the activities of the Joint Task Force on Zamfara...