EndSARS: A’Ibom DPO alleges threat to life from cultists

Must read

Supreme Court Declines Family’s Request To Access Abacha’s Frozen Foreign Accounts

The Supreme Court has again refused the request by Ali Abacha, a brother to the late Head of State, General Sani Abacha,...

Nigerians detained in Saudi Arabia cry out for help, FG reacts

Some Nigerians detained in Saudi Arabia over expired visas and inability to renew their residency, have appealed for...

We Won’t Allow Anyone Cause Ethnic Crisis In Oyo – Gov Makinde

The Oyo State Governor ‘Seyi Makinde on Friday said his government will not allow anyone to cause ethnic tension or harass anyone...

Insecurity: Boko Haram regrouping in Nasarawa – Gov Sule raises alarm

Nasarawa Governor Abdulahi Sule has said that members of the dreaded sect, Boko Haram, are regrouping in the state and carrying out...

The Divisional Police Officer in charge of Itu in Akwa Ibom, CSP Joseph Udourioh has said that he has been receiving threats from cultists after spending N2.8 million to treat a robbery suspect he maimed.

Speaking at the judicial panel of enquiry investigating Police brutality in the state, Udourioh stated on Tuesday in Uyo that he maimed one Mr. Victor Otu, a suspected armed robber when he was a DPO in Okobo local government area.

The DPO stated that he maimed Otu with his pistol while the victim was trying to escape from Police custody, adding that he did not intent to harm the victim.

He explained that Otu whom he trusted, turned out to be the leader of an armed robbery gang involved in stealing facilities in one of the hospitals in Okobo, and raping nurses there.

He explained that since then, he has spent about N2.8 million on treating him, but despite the amount expanded, cultists have continued to threaten him.

“I maimed Victor after trying to escape from my custody the day I arrested him, after realizing that he was the leader of the armed robbers.

“I maimed him with my pistol, I didn’t plan to do this but I did it basically for the purpose of righting the wrong in our society. After maiming him, I took him to the hospital and I have spent about N2.8 million for his health. 

“Since then I have been receiving threats from cultists and they even burnt down my office and many of my properties. During the cause of this threat, cultists have visited me several times partly at Okobo and partly at Itu.” Udourioh stated.

Counsel to the claimant, Clifford Thomas however kicked against the injury done to his client, Victor Otu, alleging that the DPO tried to bribe him with N1. 3 million to end the case, but he returned the money to his client.

The panel adjourned the case to another sitting day.

Another petitioner, Mrs Esther  Eton, urged the panel to grant her justice against the killers of her son, Mr. Daniel Eton, shot dead by Police officers in 2016.

Narrating her ordeal to the panel, Eton said, “My son, a 35 year-old man, on December 31, 2016, went to visit his friend, one Mr. Anietie Etim at No. 124 Aka road in the evening. 

“It was later reported to me in the morning by my second Son; Mr. Charles Eton that Daniel was shot death at about 11:45pm in the night by police officers.

“All my efforts to know the murderer of my son was all in vain. I reported to many police stations but nothing was done about it. Not until I heard about this panel so I decided to come here and tender my report”. She said.

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest article

Supreme Court Declines Family’s Request To Access Abacha’s Frozen Foreign Accounts

The Supreme Court has again refused the request by Ali Abacha, a brother to the late Head of State, General Sani Abacha,...

Nigerians detained in Saudi Arabia cry out for help, FG reacts

Some Nigerians detained in Saudi Arabia over expired visas and inability to renew their residency, have appealed for...

We Won’t Allow Anyone Cause Ethnic Crisis In Oyo – Gov Makinde

The Oyo State Governor ‘Seyi Makinde on Friday said his government will not allow anyone to cause ethnic tension or harass anyone...

Insecurity: Boko Haram regrouping in Nasarawa – Gov Sule raises alarm

Nasarawa Governor Abdulahi Sule has said that members of the dreaded sect, Boko Haram, are regrouping in the state and carrying out...

Victor Osimhen finally recovers from COVID-19

Napoli and Super Eagles striker, Victor Osimhen has finally recovered from coronavirus.  The Nigerian international, 22,  first tested positive...