x

47,975 terrorists surrender to troops, says DHQ

The Defence Headquarters said, Thursday, that a total of 47,975 terrorists and their families have so far surrendered to troops of Operation Hadin Kai in the North-East from September last year to date.

Director, Defence Media Operations, Major-General Bernard Onyeuko, who disclosed this while giving an update on military operations between March 10 and March 24 in Abuja, said the achievements of the military within the period included killing of 17 terrorists, arrest of 35, recovery of 34 AK-47 rifles, five dane guns and nine locally made guns.

He said the troops also recovered 270 rustled cows, three motorcycles and 13 bicycles used by the terrorists for movement.

According to him, while 7,000 Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) and Boko Haram terrorists from different locations surrendered, troops also rescued 27 civilians in the last two weeks.

“The surrendered terrorists have been profiled, while rescued civilians and recovered items were handed over to appropriate authorities for further action,” he said.

On Operation Hadarin Daji, Onyeuko said the air component carried out air interdiction on March 14 at Unguwar Adam village in Danmusa Local Government Area of Katsina State, killing more than 27 bandits.

He said the air raid was sequel to an intelligence report about the gathering of more than 50 terrorists for a meeting with their key commanders and leaders.

He added that one Malam Sule, a brother to notorious bandit, Lalbi Ginshima, was among those killed in the air raid, which according to him is a major setback for the group.

The Defence spokesman said scores of terrorists were also killed in another air interdiction carried out at a terrorist enclave at Magaba in Kaduna State, adding that those fleeing were trailed and mopped up by ground troops.

He said the troops also neutralised eight bandits, arrested seven, rescued 56 victims and recovered arms and other equipment in other operations during the period.

In Operation Safe Haven, Onyeuko said the troops recovered several stolen railway sleepers, three trucks, one J5 bus, two AK47 rifles with extra magazines during operations within their area of responsibility.

He said the troops also rescued three civilian victims, neutralised two bandits and apprehended 19 others, who he said were handed over to appropriate authorities for further action.

In Operation Whirl Stroke, Onyeuko said that troops eliminated no fewer than 10 bandits, arrested five, recovered vehicles and different types of weapons during the period.

According to him, troops have continued to carry out operations against terrorists, bandits and other enemies of the state and have remained committed to all operational engagements.

“While the security situation in some locations remained peaceful and calm, some other areas recorded some incidents within the period,” he said.

Hot this week

NDLEA Arrests Suspect With 9kg Cannabis Worth Over ₦10m Along Zaria-Kano Road

By Jabiru Hassan Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement...

ECOWAS Peace Fund, UCARE Nigeria Render Humanitarian Services to Over 2,000 IDPs in Benue

By Isaac Kertyo, Makurdi The ECOWAS Peace Fund, in partnership...

Omu Ogwashi-Uku kingdom, stakeholder urge community on peace for development

Omu Ogwashi-Uku kingdom, stakeholder urge community on peace for...

Goronyo Commends Swift Rescue Response, Reaffirms FG’s Commitment to Waterway Safety

By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto The Federal Government has restated its...

CACOL Commends Imo Governor for Increasing Minimum Wage

By Jabiru Hassan The Centre for Anti-Corruption and Open Leadership...

Revealed: Why AGF Halted Osun LG Allocations

By Our Reporters Abuja — The decision of the Attorney...

House of Rep denies leadership crisis, throws weight behind Speaker Abbas

Gabriel Achadu The House of Representatives has reacted to a...

2027: Middle Belt Group Protests PDP Zoning, Demands Presidential Ticket

By Israel Adamu, Jos The Cultural Middle Belt Renaissance Forum...

Plateau Youth Activist Hoomen Congratulates Dr. Cyril Tsenyil on NCDC Appointment

By Israel Adamu, Jos Plateau youth activist, Comrade Pius Hoomen,...

Ododo Orders Appointees to Return to LGAs for Grassroots Mobilisation on CVR

By Noah Ocheni, Lokoja Kogi State Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Usman...

Chinese film on Nanjing Massacre resonates with Nigerian audience Source:...

Oborevwori, Senator Nwoko Hail Igbo Socio-Cultural Group for Tackling Identity Crisis

By Anne Azuka The Igbo Unification Movement, in collaboration with...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img