x

 Lagos Commences Judicial Inquiry into Journalist Onifade’s Death During Protest

By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna

A judicial inquiry has commenced into the circumstances surrounding the death of 20-year-old journalist, Mr. Pelumi Onifade, who died in 2020 while covering the #EndSARS protests in Lagos. The inquiry, initiated by Media Rights Agenda (MRA), began on October 17, 2024, aiming to uncover the truth and provide closure to the journalist’s family.

Mr. Onifade, a reporter for Gboah TV, was reportedly arrested by policemen attached to a Lagos State taskforce during the protests. His body was later found at a mortuary in Ikorodu, Lagos. The coroner’s inquest was ordered by a Federal High Court in Lagos after the MRA filed a wrongful death suit against the police and Lagos State Government, demanding an investigation into his death.

In a statement by MRA’s Communications Officer, Mr. Idowu Adewale, it was confirmed that the investigating magistrate promised a thorough and impartial investigation to determine the cause of death and assign responsibility where necessary. The inquest is expected to identify any negligence or culpability.

At the initial hearing, the coroner, Mrs. T.R.A. Oladele, stressed that the inquest’s primary goal is to ascertain whether Mr. Onifade’s death was preventable, establish the true cause of death, and evaluate any negligence or wrongdoing.

Mrs. Bose Onifade, the mother of the late journalist, provided emotional testimony recounting the family’s challenges in locating her son’s body, conflicting reports, and the difficulty in securing the release of the body from the mortuary.

The Attorney General’s representative, Mr. Oluwaseun Akinde, suggested tracking the body’s movements using official documentation from the taskforce. He assured the coroner that he would follow up on these issues and ensure a DNA test is conducted, as Mrs. Onifade mentioned that her DNA sample had already been collected but without any feedback from relevant institutions.

The coroner adjourned the hearing to October 30, 2024, directing that official records and further evidence be obtained to ensure a comprehensive and transparent investigation.

Hot this week

North-Central APC Forum Says Yilwatda Has No Power to Stop Muftwang’s Defection

By Israel Adamu, JosThe North-Central All Progressives Congress (APC)...

We won’t Forgive Anyone Involved In FCT Schools Closure — Wike

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuFollowing the false memo issued by the...

Kogi Police Debunk Rumoured Bandit Invasion of Lokoja Communities

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Kogi State Police Command has...

A”Ibom community condemns campaign against Monarch aftermath of election

By Ogenyi Ogenyi,UyoThe Ekpri Nsukara Offot Village Council has...

Igbomotoru Massacre: Amagbein urges CDS to reopen investigations to bring perpetrators to book

By Our CorrespondentNiger Delta ex-agitator, the self-styled General...

NOA Affirms Commitment to Drive Public Support for New Tax Laws

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe National Orientation Agency (NOA) has affirmed...

Youths Involvement is Essential in Peacebuilding

By Raliat AbdulkadirIn Nigeria today, the youths make up...

Riyadh 2025: Yussuf Alli Credits Team Nigeria’s Historic Success to NSC Planning, Athlete Welfare

Team Nigeria’s Deputy Chef-de-Mission to the Riyadh 2025 Islamic...

NYA Appoints Seven New State Chairmen for North-West Zone

By Jabiru HassanThe Office of the National Vice President...

Bishop Kukah Says No Christian Persecution in Nigeria, Cites Misuse of Data and Genocide Claims

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaBishop of the Sokoto Catholic Diocese...

North-West Security Summit: Gov. Uba Sani, Defence Minister Outline Strategies to Tackle Insecurity

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaKey stakeholders from government, defence,...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img