By Israel Adamu, Jos
A coalition under the banner of the Conference of Immediate Past Legislative Council Leaders in Plateau State has dissociated itself from a statement credited to a separate group allegedly rejecting the rumoured defection of Governor Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang to the All Progressives Congress (APC).The clarification was contained in a statement jointly signed by Rt. Hon. Damar Yaksun (former Qua’anpan Legislative Arm Leader), Rt. Hon. Fom Wash Toma (former Barkin Ladi Legislative Arm Leader), and Hon. Engr. Samuel Azi (former Jos East Legislative Arm Leader).The group said its attention was drawn to a press conference held by an entity known as the Immediate Past Councillors Forum of Plateau State, led by Hon. John Dashe, which claimed to oppose the governor’s alleged planned move to the APC.
According to the leaders, the press conference did not represent their position, as it was “conducted without due consultation” and therefore does not reflect the collective views of their organisation.They noted that the decision-making framework of their association emphasizes consultation, majority consensus, and adherence to due process—standards they say were not met in the said press briefing.“As a body of respected grassroots politicians, we operate collaboratively, not in isolation,” the statement read. “Our core aim is to connect our people to opportunities that improve their lives while promoting the ideology of our esteemed party, the APC.”
The group reiterated that the APC, as a leading progressive party in West Africa, is committed to expanding its membership base for national growth and development. They stressed that unity remains crucial in addressing the insecurity confronting Nigeria.“We believe it is time for Nigerians to come together. Through unity, we can tackle the insecurity threatening our shared existence. We firmly believe the APC is the umbrella capable of uniting us all,” they stated.The leaders also used the opportunity to appeal to Governor Mutfwang to consider the plight of former councillors who were removed from office on June 2, 2023, noting that about 15 members have died since then due to hardship.“We appeal to the governor to graciously settle our outstanding entitlements, as many of our members have faced severe financial difficulties,” the group said.
They reaffirmed their loyalty to the APC’s manifesto, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, and pledged their support for his 2027 presidential bid.The group further expressed concern over the deteriorating security situation in the country, especially the abductions of children and the losses suffered by military personnel.“Our hearts go out to Nigerians grappling with heightened insecurity. We urge security agencies to intensify efforts to protect lives and restore peace,” the statement added.



