News
Police Rescue Two Women From Mob Attack in Akwa Ibom
By Ogenyi Ogenyi, Uyo
Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force in Akwa Ibom State have rescued two middle-aged women from being lynched by an angry mob in Uyo following a swift intervention triggered by the state Commissioner for Health, Ekem Emmanuel John.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the police condemned the incident, describing it as a “barbaric” act and a direct assault on human dignity and the rule of law.
The statement, signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, Timfon John, warned that anyone involved in mob violence, jungle justice, torture, or public assault would be prosecuted in accordance with the law.
According to the police, one suspect has already been arrested in connection with the incident, while investigations are ongoing to determine the cause of the mob action.
The command stated that the incident occurred on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at about 9:45 a.m. along Ring Road 3 in Uyo, where an irate crowd allegedly stripped the two women naked, physically assaulted them, and attempted to lynch them over allegations that had not been verified by lawful authorities.
“The Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Ekem Emmanuel John, who witnessed the horrifying scene while on his way to office, immediately took courageous and patriotic steps to save the victims by alerting the Police after observing that one of the women had already sustained severe injuries and was bleeding profusely,” the statement said.
Police operatives were subsequently deployed to the scene, where they dispersed the mob, rescued the victims, and rushed them to a medical facility for treatment.
According to the command, the women are currently receiving medical attention and responding positively to treatment.
The police further disclosed that preliminary investigations led to the arrest of Emediong Robert, a 22-year-old resident of Ikot Ekwere in Ibesikpo Asutan Local Government Area, who was allegedly inciting the mob and calling for the execution of the victims.
The Commissioner of Police, Baba Mohammed Azare, has ordered a full investigation and manhunt for all individuals connected to the attack.
The police warned that the state would not tolerate acts of mob justice or unlawful violence under any guise.
“No allegation against any individual justifies public humiliation, torture, assault, or attempted murder. Every suspect remains innocent until proven guilty by a court of competent jurisdiction,” the statement added.
The command also commended the intervention of the health commissioner and urged residents to avoid taking the law into their hands by reporting suspected crimes to relevant security agencies for lawful investigation and prosecution.
News
Women Must Become Co-Creators of Prosperity, Minister Says
By Abigail David
The Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Imaan Sulaiman-Ibrahim, has called for a new approach to women’s economic empowerment, urging women to move beyond being beneficiaries of interventions and become active contributors to Nigeria’s economic growth.
Sulaiman-Ibrahim made the call at the SheIsIncluded 2026 Summit, where the Federal Government announced plans to expand economic opportunities to 10 million Nigerian women through skills development, recognised credentials, employment and entrepreneurship.
The minister said women should be equipped with the tools and opportunities needed to create wealth and contribute meaningfully to the economy.
Under the SheIsIncluded initiative, women will have access to free, mobile-based learning in local languages using phones they already own. Participants will also receive verifiable credentials designed to be recognised by employers and financial institutions.
The programme is supported by Ubuntu Tribe, its implementation and technology partner, through Ubuntu Tribe Academy.
Ubuntu Tribe founder, Mamadou Kwidjim Toure, said technology could help remove barriers to skills development by making learning accessible regardless of income or location.
Technical Adviser to the President on Economic and Financial Inclusion, Nurudeen Zauro, described the summit as a shift from policy discussions to practical implementation.
The initiative is part of the government’s broader economic development agenda and its ambition to build a $1 trillion economy by 2030.
News
WAEC releases 2026 WASSCE certificates on digital platform
By Abigail David
The West African Examinations Council has announced that the 2026 West African Senior School Certificate Examination for School Candidates certificates are now available on its Digital Certificate Platform.
WAEC made this known in a post on its official X handle on Friday, urging candidates to access their certificates through the platform.
“The 2026 WASSCE for School candidate Certificate is now available for access on the WAEC Digital Certificate Platform,” the examination body said.
Candidates can access, download and share their certificates through the platform by visiting the official WAEC website or using the WAEC Digital Certificate mobile application.
The digital certificate platform provides two categories of access: Certificate Access, for individuals who want to view, download or share their certificates, and Certificate Confirmation, for institutions and organisations seeking to verify candidates’ certificates.
How to access WAEC certificate online
To access the 2026 WASSCE certificate online, candidates should:
- Visit the official WAEC website and access the Digital Certificate Platform.
- Select Certificate Access.
- Provide the required examination details and identification information.
- Complete the verification process, including any OTP authentication where required.
- View and download the digital certificate.
- Save the certificate securely or share it with institutions that require it.
WAEC also advised candidates to use its official digital certificate application, available on the Google Play Store, to access their certificates.
The certificate platform is separate from the WAEC result-checking portal, which candidates use to check their examination results.
The development comes after WAEC released the results of the 2026 WASSCE for School Candidates. WAEC said 1,950,726 candidates sat for the examination, with 1,200,514 candidates, representing 61.54 per cent, obtaining credits and above in at least five subjects, including English Language and Mathematics.
The 2026 examination was conducted between April 21 and June 19, 2026, with candidates across more than 24,200 secondary schools participating.
News
Bandits Attack Kaduna Millennium City, Kill Vigilante, Abduct Woman, Son
By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna
Armed bandits, in large numbers, have again reportedly launched an attack, killing a local vigilante, Mustapha Baba, and abducting a woman and her son at Kyauta, Millennium City, in Kaduna State.
The brother of the deceased, Yusuf Baba, who confirmed the incident on his social media handle, said Mustapha Baba was shot by the bandits during the attack and rushed to Barau Dikko Specialist Hospital, Kaduna, where he later died on Wednesday night.
The terrorist group reportedly attacked a house located near the popular Mai-Rago Friday Mosque in the area.
According to a family source, the attackers demanded to see the owner of the house but later abducted his wife and son when they could not find the main target.
Series of attacks
It was gathered that the incident is the latest in a series of attacks targeting Kyauta and other communities within Millennium City.
A previous attack was reported at the Police Estate in Baban Saura, where five residents were reportedly abducted.
During a recent security meeting, residents of Millennium City appealed to the Kaduna State Government and security agencies to improve road access to some parts of the community as part of efforts to address insecurity.
Stakeholders demand action
The Chairman of the Millennium City Security, Development and Enhancement Forum and Chairman of Katukan Danhonu Community, Alhaji Abu Mohammed, said stakeholders had identified the completion of the Eastern Bypass road project as a top priority, describing the abandoned road and bridge construction as a major challenge to effective security operations in the area.
The stakeholders urged the Federal Government to expedite work on the Eastern Bypass and complete the bridge to improve accessibility for security agencies, facilitate the movement of heavy-duty vehicles and ensure prompt emergency response to security threats.
They also called for the deployment of additional police and military personnel, as well as more sophisticated security equipment, to strengthen the capacity of security agencies to combat banditry and protect communities in the area.
Police yet to comment
The police had yet to issue any official statement regarding the attack as at the time of filing this report on Thursday.
-
News23 hours ago7th China-Africa Media Cooperation Forum Opens in Beijing
-
News20 hours ago
Gov Sule Commends DSS, Other Security Agencies Over Rescue of Kidnapped Victims in Nasarawa State
-
Business10 hours agoGov Kefas Launches Youth Enterprise Fund, Empowers Over 200 Taraba Youths With N500,000 Each
-
News4 hours agoWomen Must Become Co-Creators of Prosperity, Minister Says
-
News10 hours ago
Bandits Attack Kaduna Millennium City, Kill Vigilante, Abduct Woman, Son
-
Metro plus4 hours ago46 Bodies Recovered After Sokoto Boat Accident
-
Entertainment4 hours agoBella Okagbue Breaks Silence on Sheggz Breakup, Addresses Marriage and Engagement Plans
-
News4 hours agoWAEC releases 2026 WASSCE certificates on digital platform

You must be logged in to post a comment Login