x

Gov Yari backs state of emergency in Zamfara

*Hopes it’ll save lives of peoples of the state

*Warns against politicizing the ongoing massacre

*Regrets that some of the bandits are relations of the victims

*Commends security agencies for their efforts so far

Following the unmitigated spate of killings of innocent citizens in Zamfara state by bandits, Governor Abdulaziz Yari on Thursday threw his weights behind the call on President Muhammadu Buhari to declare a state of emergency on the state.

Governor Yari, who returned to Zamfara on Thursday from Saudi Arabia where he was performing the lesser hajj, declared his support for emergency while addressing journalists in Gusau, the state capital.

“I am also in support of the declaration of state of emergency if it will save the lives of people of the state,” Mr Yar said.

He warned politicians against politicising the disturbing security situation in the state.

“We are talking about the lives of our people and this needs the coming together of all, so that the crisis can end.

“If the provisions of my office had allowed me to carry arms against the bandits, l would have done so.

“But, if I am not around, there are capable hands that collaborate with the security team in the fight against the bandits.

“The security men are doing their best.

“But, it is sad to know that some of the people involved in the kidnappings are close relatives or associates of the victims, which is part of the reasons the problem is persisting.

“We must all come together and expose anyone or group that is part of these hoodlums, and we should also pray for Allah’s intervention,” Mr Yari, Chairman of Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF), said.

The killings prompted protest by hundred of youth in Tsafe town in Tsafe Local Government Area of the state.

The police said on Monday that it arrested 23 persons suspected to be involved in the protest.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

CSOs Inaugurate New Committee to Enhance Budget Accountability and Combat Corruption

• …CBIAMEC to Focus on Oversight, Transparency, and Effective...

Police Rescue Kidnapped Israeli Engineer in Taraba

The Taraba State Police Command, in collaboration with the...

PDP Chieftain Calls for EFCC Probe into Ebonyi Contract Racketeering

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in...

BREAKING: Kevin De Bruyne Confirms Manchester City Departure

Kevin De Bruyne has officially announced that he will...

Wike dismisses rumours of collapse, says its a political gimmick to divert attention

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe FCT Minister, Barr. Nysome Wike on...

Ijoba Lande Reveals Payment After a Month on Set with Funke Akindele

Controversial Nollywood actor and comedian, Ijoba Lande, has shared...

Protesters Demand Suspension of FUOYE VC Over Alleged Sexual Harassment

Protesters gathered at the Federal Ministry of Education in...

Six Nigerians Among 0.8% of World’s Black Billionaires – Forbes

Black billionaires remain a small fraction of the world’s...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img