Connect with us

Metro plus

46 Bodies Recovered After Sokoto Boat Accident

Published

on

By Abigail David

At least 46 bodies have been recovered following a boat accident in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, the state Police Command has confirmed.

The accident occurred on Thursday when a boat carrying 77 passengers, including men, women and children, capsized in the community.

The spokesperson for the Sokoto State Police Command, DSP Ahmed Rufai, said 15 passengers were rescued alive, while rescue teams were still searching for the remaining 16 people.

He said the rescue operation involves local divers, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and the police.

“46 corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive,” Rufai said, adding that all 77 passengers were on board when the boat capsized.

The cause of the accident was not immediately known.

The incident has plunged the Gorau community into mourning, with families anxiously awaiting information about their relatives. A senior NEMA official said the agency had mobilised personnel to join the rescue operation.

Reacting to the tragedy, African Democratic Congress governorship candidate in Sokoto State, Manir Muhammad Dan’iya, described the incident as devastating and called for increased rescue efforts.

Dan’iya urged the state government and emergency agencies to provide additional personnel, medical teams and rescue equipment. He also called for safer boats, life jackets, trained operators and improved crossings for farming communities located around waterways.

The accident occurred a year after a similar boat mishap in Kijio community, also in Goronyo Local Government Area.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Crime

NDLEA Arrests Alleged Cocaine Trafficking Kingpin at Lagos Airport

Published

on

By Abigail David

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested a suspected Nigerian coordinator of an international cocaine trafficking network while allegedly attempting to flee the country for Paris.

The agency said the operation followed the seizure of 184.5kg of cocaine concealed in a consignment for export through a courier company in Lagos. NDLEA Chairman, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), said the drugs could have generated an estimated N39 billion for the cartel.

According to the agency, investigations led to the arrest of two key suspects, including logistics company employee Lawal Mujab Kehinde and Afolabi Kazeem Michael, popularly known online as “KC Luxury.”

NDLEA identified Michael as the alleged Nigerian arrowhead of the syndicate, which reportedly moved cocaine from South America through Nigeria to the UK, other European countries and Asia.

Marwa said Michael was arrested at the boarding gate of Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, on August 13 while allegedly preparing to travel business class to Paris.

The suspect was reportedly found with €7,750, £2,800 and N100,000, as well as jewellery. A search of his luxury apartment on Banana Island, Lagos, also led to the recovery of exotic vehicles, the agency said.

NDLEA said the investigation revealed the cartel used intermediary companies, false identities and financial facilitators to conceal its activities.

The agency said some suspected members of the network had also been arrested by authorities in the UK.

Continue Reading

Metro plus

Army Rescues Nine Kidnap Victims in Kogi

Published

on

By Abigail David

The Nigerian Army has rescued nine commuters abducted by suspected kidnappers along the Ajaokuta–Itobe Road in Ofu Local Government Area of Kogi State.

In a statement posted on its official X account on Tuesday, the Army said troops at Patrol Base Itobe responded to reports of an attack on commuters along the route.

The troops reportedly found an abandoned Toyota Hiace bus and Toyota Sienna at the scene, with the passengers missing. They subsequently launched a pursuit operation towards the outskirts of Adumu Community in Dekina Local Government Area.

The Army said the troops engaged the kidnappers in a gun battle, forcing them to abandon the victims and flee into the bush.

Nine people were rescued, including two elderly men, two elderly women, four other adult males and an infant.

The victims were evacuated to safety and handed over to the Nigeria Police, Itobe Area Command, for further assistance and reunification with their families.

The Army said troops were continuing the search for the fleeing kidnappers and other possible victims, while efforts were ongoing to apprehend those responsible for the attack.

It urged residents to provide credible and timely information to security agencies to support efforts to combat criminal activities.

Continue Reading

Metro plus

Tinubu Orders Security Agencies to Hunt Killers of 30 Kaduna Residents

Published

on

By Abigail David

President Bola Tinubu has directed security agencies to track down and bring to justice those responsible for the deadly attack on Naridon Village in Kauru Local Government Area of Kaduna State that claimed about 30 lives.

The President’s directive followed the early Monday assault on the community, where gunmen reportedly killed residents, including women and children, and set several houses ablaze.

In a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, Tinubu condemned the incident, describing it as an unprovoked act of terrorism against innocent civilians.

He said those behind the attack would be held accountable, stressing that efforts to undermine the peace and improved security recorded in Kaduna State would not succeed.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to strengthening Nigeria’s security architecture by improving security infrastructure, equipping personnel and dismantling criminal networks threatening lives and property.

Tinubu also extended his condolences to the families of those who lost loved ones, as well as to Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani, the state government and residents affected by the tragedy.

The Federal Government reiterated its resolve to support security agencies in pursuing those responsible for the attack and preventing similar incidents across the country.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.