x

Alison-Madueke set to be arraigned by the court on October 3

A federal high court in Apo has fixed October 3, for the arraignment of Deziani Alison-Madueke, former minister of petroleum, on five counts bordering on conspiracy and illegal act of accepting and giving gratifications.

Day Break reports that the court granted the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) leave to arraign Alison-Madueke and Olajide Omokore, former chairman of Atlantic Energy Drilling Company, on five counts on February 25.

The date was fixed, on Wednesday, following the absence of Valentine Ashi, trial judge who was on another official engagement.

Faruk Abdullahi, counsel to the EFCC, had told the court on February 25, that the arraignment would not hold as Alison-Madueke and her co-accused were not in court.

Abdullahi explained that the EFCC had forwarded a request to the attorney-general of the federation (AGF) for onward commencement of Alison-Madueke’s repatriation process from the United Kingdom.

He said the absence of the second defendant (Omokore) was linked to the commission’s inability to serve him with the court’s processes.

The prosecutor, therefore, prayed the court for further adjournment to enable the team tidy up its house.

Adeniyi Adegbonmire, counsel to Omokore, said his client was prepared to stand trial but that the right process to commence the trial must be adhered to.

Alison-Madueke and Omokore are billed to be arraigned on five-count charge bordering on conspiracy and illegal acts of accepting and giving bribe.

EFCC averred that the accused persons had conspired at different levels to commit the fraud.

The anti-graft agency also alleged that the ex-minister accepted gift of properties described as penthouse 22, block B, Admiralty estate, Ikoyi, and penthouse 21, building 5, block C, Banana island, Lagos.

The EFCC said the alleged offence, contravened the provisions of sections 26(1) and 17 of the EFCC Act, 2000.

In December last year, the trial judge had ordered the police, EFCC, Department of State Services (DSS), and others to produce Diezani in court within 72 hours.

Ashi gave the order, following an ex parte motion made before the court by the counsel to the anti-graft agency.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

Wike employs 34 Resident Doctors for FCT Hospitals

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe FCT Minister Barr Nysome Wike has...

Why Uzor Arukwe Is Nollywood’s Hottest Star Right Now – Segun Arinze

Veteran Nollywood actor Segun Arinze has hailed his colleague...

Man gets life jail for setting ex-boss ablaze in Ekiti

An Ekiti State High Court in Ado Ekiti has...

Travellers Stranded in Taraba as Bridge Collapse Cuts Off Major Highway

Travellers and motorists in Taraba State have been left...

President Federation Cup Round of 32 Fixtures Revealed

The highly anticipated President Federation Cup Round of 32...

Kaduna Police Officer Threatens Retaliation Against Southerners Over Uromi Killings

Kaduna State police officer, Hadaina Hussaini Dan-Taki, has sparked...

BREAKING: Edo Tribunal Dismisses Action Alliance’s Petition Against Okpebholo, APC

The Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal in Abuja...

Sterling Bank Stops Online Transfer Charges

Sterling Bank has announced the elimination of transfer fees...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img