Author: Alpha Maidawa

  • COVID-19 : NCDC announces 452 new cases, total number 21,371

    Nigeria has announced 452 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of the cases in the country to 21,371.

    The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) gave the figure on Tuesday night through its official Twitter handle.

    The NCDC said that the new cases were from 14 states.

    It said that the country recorded seven deaths on June 23.

    The NCDC said that Lagos State had the highest number of the new cases with 209 cases, followed by Delta with 37 cases and Ogun – 36, FCT – 22, Abia – 20, Enugu – 16, Bauchi – 15, Kaduna – 8, Ondo -8, Osun – 7, Imo – 3, Benue – 3 and Borno 1.

    The NCDC said that as at June 23, 21,371 COVID-19 cases had been confirmed in the country, with 13,285 active, 7,338 treated and discharged, 117, 569 samples collected and 533 deaths recorded. (NAN)

  • Ghana apologises to Nigeria over demolition of mission building

    Ghana apologises to Nigeria over demolition of mission building

    The President of Ghana, Nana Akufo-Addo, has sent apologies to President Muhammadu Buhari over the demolition of a building in the premises of the Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana.

    Mr Ferdinand Nwonye, spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, made this known in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.

    “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs wishes to inform that the President of Ghana, Nana Akufo-Addo, called President Muhammadu Buhari GCFR, today, June 23, on the phone.

    “To express his sincere regrets and apology for the demolition of a building on the premises of the Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana.

    “He informed President Buhari that he had directed a full investigation of the unfortunate incident.

    “It further emerged earlier in the day that some suspects had been arrested and will be arraigned in court.

    “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on this note wish to call on Nigerians home and abroad to remain calm despite the highly provocative attack on the High Commission of Nigeria in Accra, Ghana.

    “And to reassure Nigerians that the Federal Government is engaging the Ghanaian Authorities at the highest level to seek redress,” it stated.

    The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that on June 19, some unidentified persons willfully carried out the demolition of a building in premises of the Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana.

    The perpetrators, who were purportedly on the instruction of the Ghana Urban Development Agency, were said to have carried out the act without prior notification.

    There have also been engagements between the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, and the Ghanaian authorities since the incident. (NAN)

  • Australia’s Victoria calls in military as coronavirus cases spike

    Australia’s Victoria calls in military as coronavirus cases spike

    Australia’s second-most populated state of Victoria on Wednesday asked the military and other jurisdictions for help as it struggles to contain a recent spike in the number of coronavirus cases.

    Victoria, the state of which Melbourne is the capital, on Wednesday recorded 20 new cases and one death – the first COVID-19-related fatality in the country since May, health authorities said.

    The state government asked the Australian Defence Force as well as the neighbouring states of New South Wales, South Australia, Tasmania and Queensland, for help dealing with testing and logistics.

    “This support will mean we can get even more tests done and results back quickly – and a stronger effort to remind Victorians if you are sick, stay home and get tested,’’ a government spokeswoman said.

    Several Melbourne suburbs were identified as hotspots, as local health authorities scrambled to isolate the affected areas, warning people not to leave their suburbs.

    Health authorities were also knocking on doors in the areas where a large migrant population reside, with many speaking languages other than English at home.

    Community engagement in some 55 languages has been produced.

    The state government is mulling a return to strict lockdown measures.

    Due to panic buying at supermarkets, purchase limits on toilet paper and other essential items were also reinstated in the state.

    Federal Health Minister, Greg Hunt, blamed Black Lives Matter rallies – which were held in all major Australian cities earlier this month and saw tens of thousands of protesters in attendance – for people’s relaxed attitude towards social distancing and other COVID-19 restrictions.

    Australia has so far recorded more than 7,520 COVID-19 cases and 103 fatalities. (dpa/NAN)

  • Asia stocks at four-month top as markets stay stubbornly optimistic

    Asia stocks at four-month top as markets stay stubbornly optimistic

    Asian shares cleared a four-month high on Wednesday as investors remained stubbornly upbeat on the outlook for a re-opening of the global economy even as cases of the coronavirus looked to be accelerating to new peaks.

    MSCI’s broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan added 0.5 per cent to reach its highest since pandemic lockdowns first cratered markets in early March.

    South Korea led with a rise of 1.6 per cent, while Japan’s Nikkei was held flat by a firm yen.

    E-Mini futures for the S&P 500 reversed early losses to gain 0.2 per cent, while EUROSTOXX 50 futures lagged with a loss of 0.3 per cent.

    On Wall Street, the Dow had ended Tuesday 0.5 per cent higher, while the S&P 500 gained 0.4 per cent and the Nasdaq 0.7 per cent.

    News on the coronavirus was hardly encouraging with several U.S. states seeing record infections and the death toll in Latin America passing 100,000 on Tuesday, according to a Reuters tally.

    The European Union is even prepared to bar U.S. travellers because of the surge of cases in the country, putting it in the same category as Brazil and Russia, the New York Times reported.

    Yet the market assumes there is a very high bar to shutting down economies again, so the impact on business activity will not be too great.

    The dogged optimism about the global economy was supported by upbeat surveys of manufacturing from Europe, with France a stand-out as lockdown loosening there led to a modest return to growth.

    That followed solid June readings from much of Asia, though Japan did disappoint.

    “One surprise in the recent data has been the resiliency of activity data in emerging Asia even as the global economy slowed sharply and global demand remains below pre-pandemic levels,” said analysts at JPMorgan in a note.

    “This outcome largely appears to be due to the tech sector outperforming non-tech, most likely reflecting in part a temporary work-from-home boost to demand.”

    The better European data combined with the positive risk mood to keep the U.S. dollar under pressure.

    Against a basket of major currencies it slipped back to 96.578 from a top of 97.719 at the start of the week.

    The euro edged up to $1.1320, having been as low as $1.1167 on Monday, while the dollar eased to 106.50 yen after touching a six-week low of 106.06 at one stage.

    “The dollar and risk sentiment are likely to remain broadly negatively correlated, barring the U.S. displaying clear and enduring leadership in the global economic recovery, something hard to square with the grim U.S. news on COVID,” said Ray Attrill, Head of FX Strategy at NAB.

    The New Zealand dollar eased after the country’s central bank said it might have to do yet more to stimulate the economy, including cutting rates further, expanding bond purchases or even buying foreign assets.

    In commodity markets, the decline in the dollar and endless cheap liquidity from central banks helped lift gold to its highest since October 2012.

    The metal was last at $1,770 an ounce.

    Oil futures eased from four-month highs after U.S. crude inventories rose a surprisingly large 1.7 million barrels last week, according to industry data.

    That compares with analysts’ expectations for a 300,000-barrel build.

    U.S. government data will be released on Wednesday.

    Brent crude futures declined eight cents to $42.55 a barrel, while U.S. crude fell 20 cents to $40.17. (Reuters/NAN)

  • World Bank approves $750m power sector recovery operation for Nigeria

    World Bank approves $750m power sector recovery operation for Nigeria

    The World Bank has approved a 750 million dollars International Development Association (IDA) credit for Nigeria’s Power Sector Recovery Operation (PSRO) to improve electricity supply.

    The Bank, in statement in Abuja on Wednesday, said that the target was to also achieve financial and fiscal sustainability and enhance accountability in Nigeria’s power sector.

    It explained that about 47 per cent of Nigerians did not have access to grid electricity and those who had access, faced regular power cuts.

    According to the bank, the economic cost of power shortages in Nigeria is estimated at around 28 billion dollars, which is equivalent to two per cent of its Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

    It stated that getting access to electricity was one of the major constraints for the private sector according to the Ease of Doing Business report.

    It added that improving power sector performance, particularly in the non-oil sectors of manufacturing and services, would be central to unlocking economic growth post COVID-19.

    The statement quoted Shubham Chaudhuri, World Bank Country Director for Nigeria, as saying “lack of reliable power has stifled economic activity and private investment and job creation.

    ”This is ultimately what is needed to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty.

    “The objective of this operation is to help turn around the power sector and set it on a fiscally sustainable path. This is particularly urgent at a time when the government needs all the fiscal resources it can marshal to help protect lives and livelihoods amid the COVID-19 pandemic”.

    The bank said that PSRO would provide results-based financing to support the implementation of the Government’s Power Sector Recovery Programme (PSRP).
    It further explained that the PSRP was a comprehensive programme to restore the power sector’s financial viability, improve service delivery and reduce its fiscal burden.

    “The PSRO is expected to increase annual electricity supplied to the distribution grid, enhance power sector financial viability while reducing annual tariff shortfalls and protecting the poor from the impact of tariff adjustments.

    “This will enable the turnaround of power sector while helping the Federal Government to redirect large fiscal resources from highly regressive tariff shortfall financing towards critical crisis-responsive and pro-poor expenditures. It will also increase public awareness about ongoing power sector reforms and performance.

    “Specifically, the PSRO will ensure that 4,500 mwh/hour of electricity is supplied to the distribution grid by 2022 by strengthening the regulatory, policy and financing framework.
    “It will also enhance the accountability and financial viability of the sector, helping the sector create a track record of sustainable operation necessary for unlocking much needed private investments in the future,” the Bank explained. (NAN)

  • Reason why I gift myself a mansion for my birthday – Ehi Ogbebor

    Reason why I gift myself a mansion for my birthday – Ehi Ogbebor

    It has been days after but everyone is still talking about the luxurious mansion Ehigozie Ogbebor, the Sayaveth Interiors & Hotel boss gifted her for her 35th birthday.

    It should be recalled that Ehi Ogbebor shocked many when she showed the magnificent 7 room castle located in the heart of Lekki she got for herself days ago as a 35th birthday gift.

    Ehi Ogbebor who is an interior designer and consultant located at 59 Fola Osibo Street in Lekki Phase 1 and sits atop a multi-billion naira business, told City People Magazine in a chat that she is very, very happy that she has been able to complete the project. “It is personal to me. I decided to celebrate this birthday big because I felt like I deserve it with the commitment and hard work I put into my work and also beautifying other people’s homes, I deserve a proper house too, for me and my kids.

    Its a 7 bedroom mansion I called Castle E, named after me, Castle Ehigozie. She revealed on her Instagram handle that she has received thousands of messages since Monday when she released the video.

    The video feedback is overwhelming…but this stuck…I remember doing this exact same thing: I looked into the mirror one day at the age of 23 and I said to God use me to prove to my generation that you are God…God is for everyone. He can do more for you”.

    She invited a few of her family members and friends for the opening. “I could not invite a lot of people to my birthday and house warming because of the situation going on in the country”.

  • Davido’s elder brother, Adewale opens up on the singer’s absence on social media and alleged break up with Chioma

    Davido’s elder brother, Adewale opens up on the singer’s absence on social media and alleged break up with Chioma

    Davido’s elder brother, Adewale Adeleke has revealed in a video chat with OAP Daddy freeze, the reason why the sensational singer went ‘MIA’ on social media and the status of his relationship with the mother of his son, Chioma.

    According to Adewale, Davido went MIA on social media to get busy with his next album. He added that Davido working hard presently to make sure his next album will be the best in Nigeria.

    When Daddy Freeze asked Adewale if Davido and his fiancee, Chioma are still together, he replied saying “Oh yes, they are still together”.

  • Magistrate court orders reopening of Jabi Lake mall after been sealed for hosting Naira Marley concert

    Magistrate court orders reopening of Jabi Lake mall after been sealed for hosting Naira Marley concert

    A magistrate court in the Federal Capital Territory has ordered that Jabi Lake Mall, which was sealed 10 days ago for hosting a drive in concert by Naira Marley, be reopened.

    It should be recalled that the June 13 drive-in concert hosted by Play Network and Naira Marley in the mall was condemned on social media users across Nigeria.

    This is because the guests flouted the social distancing order and other COVID-19 precautionary guidelines

    Following the ban of the mall, Magistrate Idayat Akanni has announced today, tuesday June 23 the decision to reopen the mall was a sequel to the application filed by the defence counsel, Nnamdi Ekwem, who asked the court to unseal the business premises.

    According to her, her judgment was based on the overall interest of those, who would be affected adversely by the closure, noting that the mall had over 100 employees and other tenants, who are not co-offenders in the matter.

    The order is also based on compassion, especially, in consideration of the economic losses that will be suffered by those affected, coupled with the impact of COVID-19 on the people.”

  • Nigerian actress, Tonia Ferrari turns chorister at Brooklyn Park

    Nigerian actress, Tonia Ferrari turns chorister at Brooklyn Park

    Fast rising Nollywood actress, Tonia Okoro, popularly known as Tonia Ferrari has turned a chorister at Brooklyn Park.

    Tonia Ferrari recently became a chorister at Revive Brooklyn Park Church EFCA, Minnesota, United States of America.

    Kemi Filani News earlier reported that the Igbo thespian, relocated to America about two years ago, and she has since been attending the church.

    Not only good at interpreting roles, the actress is an amazing singer and she has decided to use her sonorous voice to praise and worship God.

    Kemi Filani News gathered that she has since been participating in every activity going among the choir members.

    She was spotted in some recent pictures she took with the choir master and other choristers in the church after practice.

    It will also interest you to know that Ferrari has always been a choir member at the Redeemed Christian Church of God back in Nigeria and that is her little way of being useful to God Almighty.

    See photos below…

  • Tuface Idibia bags UN ambassadorship as its Refugees Goodwill Ambassador.

    Tuface Idibia bags UN ambassadorship as its Refugees Goodwill Ambassador.

    Nigerian music legend, 2face Idibia took to his official Instagram page to announce that The United Nations appointed him as its Refugees Goodwill Ambassador.

    According to 2baba as he is fondly called, he is humbled and honoured to be appointed as the regional goodwill ambassador of United Nations. He disclosed that the recognition will ensure his commitment to supporting the effort of United Nations personnel and volunteers

    In his words;

    “Honoured and humbled by my appointment as regional goodwill ambassador of UNHCR. Thanks for the recognition. This will no doubt deepen my commitment to supporting the effort of UNHCR personnel and volunteers who are on ground every day, working hard to provide support and hope to millions of forcefully displaced persons across the world.
    Special thanks to donors and supporters of the cause. Blessings one and all.WARRIORS..GRATEFUL..ONELOVERELIGION