Category: News

You can add some category description here.

  • COVID-19: Saudi Arabia Reopens Land Borders, Resmes international flight

    COVID-19: Saudi Arabia Reopens Land Borders, Resmes international flight

    Saudi Arabia on Sunday announced the reopening of borders and the resumption of international flights after a two-week suspension aimed to stem the spread of a new Covid-19 strain.

    The government ordered the lifting of “precautionary measures related to the spread of a new variant of coronavirus”, the Ministry of the Interior said, according to the official Saudi Press Agency.

    Saudi Arabia has recorded more than 363,000 cases, including over 6,200 deaths –- the highest among the Gulf Arab states — but has also reported a high recovery rate.

    Riyadh suspended international flights and access through land crossings and ports on December 21.

    Other Gulf countries, Oman and Kuwait, who had taken similar measures, have also lifted them in recent days.

    But travellers returning from Britain, South Africa or “any country where the new variant of the coronavirus is spreading” are subject to more restrictions, the statement added.

    Foreigners coming from those countries must spend 14 days in another country before entering Saudi Arabia, and show a negative test.

    Saudi nationals returning from those countries will be able to enter directly — but must then spend two weeks in quarantine on arrival, and be subject to tests.

    Last month Saudi Arabia was one of the first Gulf countries to launch a massive vaccination campaign using the Pfizer-BioNTech jab.

  • US Records 277,000 COVID-19 Cases In 24 Hours, Sets New Record

    US Records 277,000 COVID-19 Cases In 24 Hours, Sets New Record

    The United States on Saturday saw its highest number yet of coronavirus cases recorded in one day, with more than 277,000 infections.

    The hardest-hit country in the world by the pandemic, the United States has marked 20.4 million cases overall and just under 350,000 deaths.

    Infections have been surging in recent months, with top US government scientist Anthony Fauci warning just days after Christmas that the worst of the pandemic may be yet to come, driving the country to a “critical point” as holiday travel spreads the virus.

    The country has floundered in its efforts to quell Covid-19, with its vaccination program beset by logistical problems and overstretched hospitals.

    More than 4.2 million people in the US have already received their first jabs, with 13 million doses distributed, but that falls well behind the 20 million inoculations that President Donald Trump’s administration promised by the end of 2020.

  • Bandits murders Imam who spoke against their activities in Kaduna

    Bandits murders Imam who spoke against their activities in Kaduna

    Armed bandits have killed the chief Imam of Kawaran Rafi in Igabi local government area of Kaduna state, Danleeman Isah.

    Samuel Aruwan, the state commissioner for internal security and home affairs, in a statement on Saturday, January 2, said the Islamic cleric was killed for consistently speaking against the activities of bandits in the state.

    Aruwan in his statement said

    “Security agencies have informed the Kaduna state government that armed bandits invaded Kawaran Rafi village village in Igabi local government area, and killed one Danleeman Isah, the chief immam of the village.

    The bandits moved straight to Isah’s residence, and in what appears to be a pre-meditated murder, shot him dead and left the location without taking any items or hostages.

    The murder of the cleric has been linked to his vocal stance against the killing and kidnapping of citizenry by bandit.

    It is of a similar ilk to the killing of Ardo Musa Layi of Kajuru local government, who was kidnapped and killed by armed bandits in October 2020 for his advocacy against killing, kidnapping and cattle rustling.

    Also similar was the shooting of Ardo Ahmadu Suleiman by bandits at Kasuwan Magani, Kajuru local government, leaving him with bullet wounds.”

    Aruwan said security agencies have also reported the murder of Yohanna Abu, Sarkin Yaki of Godogodo, by a gang of kidnappers. Aruwan, the gunmen attacked Nisama village in Jema’a local government area on Friday night January 1 and abducted Abu along with Charles Audu, another resident.

    “A struggle ensued between the duo and the kidnappers, and while Mr Audu was able to escape, the kidnappers shot Mr Abu dead,” he said

    Aruwan said five persons have been arrested in connection with the killings and security agencies are investigating the incidents. He added that the state governor, Nasir el-Rufai, has expressed sadness at both incidents, and prayed for the repose of the souls of the slain cleric and the community leader.

  • Insecurity: Zulum Visits Attacked Hunters In Hospital

    Insecurity: Zulum Visits Attacked Hunters In Hospital

    Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum on Saturday visited 6 hunters injured as a result of a landmine attack by Boko Haram while on patrol along Sambisa forest receiving treatment at the hospital.

    About 7 of them died instantly, while 16 others sustained various degrees of injuries.

    Reports had it that, the hunters were on patrol after receiving an alert of Boko has rustled cattle from a nearby village.

    The Commissioner of Sports and Empowerment, Hon. Sainna Buba said, 11 out of the 16 injured have been discharged after receiving treatment at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital.

    Zulum arrived from Abuja on Saturday after attending a closed-door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, and Director General of NEMA, Air Vice Marshall Muhammadu Muhammad (Rtd).

  • Gov Akeredolu’s Chief of Protocol dies in car accident

    Gov Akeredolu’s Chief of Protocol dies in car accident

    The Chief Of Protocol to Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu of Ondo state, Tosin Ogunbodede has reportedly died.

    Mr Ogunbodede was said to have died in a ghastly motor accident along ilesha road.

    He was rushed to the Wesley Guild Hospital, Ilesa where he later died.

    Another occupant of the car also lost his life in the accident.

    Details later…

  • COVID-19: Zimbabwe Goes Into Immediate National Lockdown

    COVID-19: Zimbabwe Goes Into Immediate National Lockdown

    Zimbabwe’s government on Saturday imposed a national lockdown with immediate effect, following a surge in Covid-19 cases, creating a major problem for most citizens who rely on the informal employment sector.

    Only essential services, such as hospitals, pharmacies and supermarkets will remain operational for the next 30 days, putting more pressure on already poverty-stricken families.

    The southern African nation is already struggling with a deepening economic crisis, hyperinflation and high unemployment.

    The government first imposed a nationwide lockdown in March to contain the spread of Covid-19, but had eased most of those measures amid fears of further economic malaise

    Vice President and Health minister Constantino Chiwenga told reporters there had been a huge spike in cases over the festive season which almost doubled the number of infections recorded throughout the year.

    “In light of the recent surge in Covid-19 cases the following stiff lockdown measures are being put in place with immediate effect,” he said.

    “Gatherings are reduced to not more than 30 people at all funerals. All other gatherings at weddings, churches, bars, bottle stores, gymnasiums, restaurants etc etc are banned for 30 days,” he added.

    Even premises providing essential services will have to close at 3 pm.

    A new overall curfew will run from 6 pm to 6 am.

    Covid 19 cases have almost doubled in two months from 8,374 at the start of November to 14,084 now.

    A total of 369 virus-related deaths have been recorded in the country since the outbreak of the pandemic.

  • FCMB probes MD over alleged unethical conduct

    FCMB probes MD over alleged unethical conduct

    The Board of First City Monument Bank, on Saturday, says it is investigating its Managing Director, Mr Adam Nuru, over allegations of unethical conduct involving a former employee, Ms Moyo Thomas.

    The bank made this known in a statement released on Saturday titled, ‘Official Statement -Media Stories Regarding Our Managing Director’.

    Reports had gone viral on social media that the managing director had an affair with Ms Thomas and the shock culminated in the death of her husband, the late Mr Thomas.

    There have also been calls for the Central Bank of Nigeria to sack Mr Nuru over the allegations.

    FCMB, however, said, “We are aware of several stories circulating across several media platforms about our Managing Director Adam Nuru, a former employee Ms Moyo Thomas and her deceased husband, Mr Tunde Thomas.

    “While this is a personal matter, the tragedy of the death of Mr Tunde Thomas and the allegations of unethical conduct, require the Bank’s board to conduct a review of what transpired, any violations of our code of ethics and the adequacy of these code of conduct ethics. This will be done immediately.

    “We enjoin all our stakeholders to bear with us as we conduct this review and to please respect the various families involved.”

  • COVID-19: FG Releases Passport Details Of 100 Banned Passengers

    COVID-19: FG Releases Passport Details Of 100 Banned Passengers

    The Federal Government has published the passport numbers of 100 travellers, who failed to undergo the mandatory COVID-19 test after their return to Nigeria.

    Details of the passports were published by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 on Saturday.

    “Based on Presidental authority, travel restrictions are placed on the following passports due to non-compliance to the mandatory Day 7 post-arrival COVID-19 test,” the communique read.

    It said the restrictions started from January 1, 2021, and would last till June 30, 2021.

    The PTF also confirmed that the affected passengers have been notified and will be prevented from out of the country during the period.

    The Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, had earlier in the week said the affected travellers would be published before the end of the week.

    Nigeria has recorded over 85,000 COVID infections including more than 1,200 associated fatalities, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

  • Senator Wamakko Loses Nephew

    Senator Wamakko Loses Nephew

    By Muhammad Goronyo, Sokoto


    The death of the Nephew of the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Defence and Deputy Chairman ,Senate Committee on Anti-Corruption, Senator Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko, Dr Bello Magatakarda Wamakko, has occured .

    The deceased, who was aged 53, died today, at the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Shika, near Zaria, Kaduna State, after a brief illness.

    His funeral prayer which was conducted this night at the Sahabi Dange road, Gawon Nama,Sokoto residence of Senator Wamakko was led by the Chief Imam of Sultan Bello Juma’at Mosque, Sokoto, Sheikh Malami Akwara.

    The funeral prayer was attended by the Minister of Police Affairs, Alhaji Muhammadu Maigari Dingyadi, former Governor of Sokoto State, Mallam Yahaya Abdulkadir, the Executive Secretary, Police Trust Fund, Alhaji Ahmed Aliyu Sokoto, Nigeria’s Ambassador to Tanzania, Ambassador Sahabi Isa Gada, members of National and State Assemblies and the Galadiman Garin Sokoto, Alhaji Aliyu Attahiru.

    Others were the former APC Gubernatorial Aspirant in the 2019 General Elections, Alhaji A. A. Gumbi, State Chairman and Secretary of the All Progressives Congress ( APC), Alhaji Isa Sadiq Achida and Alhaji Abubakar Muhammad Yabo, respectively, former Commissioners, serving and retired Permanent Secretaries and Directors-General ,other top civil servants.

    It was also attended by several Islamic Clerics, traditional tittle holders, members of the business community, thousands of relatives, friends, Associates and sympathizers, among others.

    Until his death, the late Dr Bello was a staff of Specialist Hospital, Sokoto.

    Late Dr Bello Magatakarda Wamakko, who was popularly called Dr Coach, is survived by one Wife and eight children.

  • Governor Tambuwal Appoints Abubakar As Head Of Service

    Governor Tambuwal Appoints Abubakar As Head Of Service

    By Muhammad Goronyo, Sokoto

    Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal has appointed Mallam Abubakar Muhammad (Mni) as the new Head of Service of Sokoto State.

    Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the Governor, Muhammad Bello made this known to newsmen in Sokoto.

    This follows the retirement of the former Head of Service, Alhaji Sani Garba Shuni, who attained the age of 60 on December 30, 2020.

    Muhammad, a graduate of Sociology from Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto, was born February 4, 1967.  He attended the Senior Executive Course 31 at the prestigious National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, Jos, Plateau State in 2009.

    Before then he has worked in the Sokoto State Newspaper Company in 1992 rising through the ranks to become a Permanent Secretary in 2008 when he touched base at the State Ministry of Agriculture.

    Eventually, he moved, in the same capacity, from the State Pilgrims Welfare Agency through the Ministries of Information and Higher Education to that of Health from where he was elevated to his present position.

    His appointment takes immediate effect.