Category: News

You can add some category description here.

  • Buhari hails Anthony Joshua over against victory Pulev

    Buhari hails Anthony Joshua over against victory Pulev

    President Muhammadu Buhari has commended Nigerian-born boxer, Anthony Joshua, over his victory against Kubrat Pulev on Saturday.

    This was contained in a press statement by Special Adviser to the President (Media and Publicity), Femi Adesina, titled, ‘President Buhari hails Anthony Joshua’s victory over Pulev’ on Sunday.

    The statement read, “President Muhammadu Buhari celebrates the decisive victory of Nigerian-born boxer, Anthony Joshua over Kubrat Pulev Saturday night.

    “The President says by retaining his IBF, WBA, and WBO titles, Joshua has given boxing lovers round the world, and particularly in Nigeria, something to cheer.

    “He recalls his meeting with the heavyweight champion in London earlier in the year, describing Anthony Joshua as a humble, well brought up young man, “who will still go places.”

    Advertisement

    “President Buhari wishes Joshua all the best in his dream fight against Tyson Fury, saying he has the prayers and goodwill of Nigerians going with him.”

  • Gov Sanwo-Olu Commences COVID-19 Treatment

    Gov Sanwo-Olu Commences COVID-19 Treatment

    Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State is now undergoing treatment, following the PCR test confirming that he has contacted COVID-19.

    The governor who is said to have contracted the virus following contact with an infected aide is now being tended to at his home.

    Revealing this on Saturday, the Honourable Commissioner for Health of Lagos State, Professor Akin Abayomi said the governor is receiving treatment and is being closely monitored by the very experienced State COVID-19 clinical team from IDH Yaba.

    Professor Abayomi stressed that Sanwo-Olu is doing well on treatment and rest, adding that the experts are confident that the governor will recover quickly and clear the virus.

    The commissioner said the government is seeing a slight increase in the number of COVID-19 positive cases in clusters within Lagos.

    He advised all residents and visitors to strictly adhere to the prescribed advisories of safe distancing, mask-wearing, good hand and respiratory hygiene and avoidance of unnecessary or large gatherings.

    According to him, the festive season is likely to create the opportunity for the virus to spread if people are not compliant with the regulations established by the Presidential Task Force (PTF) for inbound travellers.

    He said all inbound travelers must be COVID-19 negative by PCR before they board a flight to Nigeria and must self-isolate on arrival and undergo a pre-booked test on day 7 of arrival in Nigeria.

    “Lagosians should keep celebrations to a minimum and be observant and responsible in their interactions.

    “The significant gains achieved to date in containing COVID-19 in Lagos, which has allowed us to carefully re-open the economy, must not be reversed,” Professor Abayomi stated.

    He warned that no one is immune to the virus, adding that COVID-19 is certainly still circulating in the community.

    The commissioner urged everyone to join in praying and wishing the Incident Commander of the Lagos State COVID-19 response Mr Babajide Sanwo-olu a speedy recovery so he can return to normal duties as soon as possible.

  • Noma Children Hospital Performs 100 Eye Cataract Operations 2020 Last Quarter

    Noma Children Hospital Performs 100 Eye Cataract Operations 2020 Last Quarter

    By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto

    Chief Medical Director of NOMA Children Hospital, Dr. Shafi’u Abdul-Aziz made this known while speaking to our reporter in his office.

    He said the success was due to assistance and encouragement from governments and other friendly organizations.
    “Despite the success on operations, some of the structures in the hospital are undergoing renovations, it as well enhance our performances”, he asserted.

    He also assured that the outbreak of the deadly corona virus has contributed to very low performance especially on eye cataract operations as well as admitting normal number of pregnant mothers and other diseases that affect eye sight.

    “In as much as the deadly virus that affects the world economies can permit, I am telling you, even the neighbouring countries around us bring their patients for theatre “, he averred.
    He also revealed that Noma children hospital extends their activities on teeth, eyes, children diseases, pregnant mothers and other children diseases.

    Dr. Shafi’u Abdul-Aziz Isah Gwadabawa while commending the state government also called for more attention especially on the modern sophisticated theatre equipment.

  • NDDC gets interim administrator as Buhari sacks Pondei

    NDDC gets interim administrator as Buhari sacks Pondei

    President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Effiong Okon Akwa as an interim administrator to oversee the affairs of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

    A presidential spokesman, Femi Adesina, said Mr Akwa, who is the Ag. Executive Director, Finance and Administration of the Commission, is to assume headship till completion of the forensic audit.

    Adesina said the interim administrator is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.

    He said the development became necessary as a result of a plethora of litigation and a restraining order issued recently against the Interim Management Committee of the NDDC by a Federal High Court in Abuja.

  • Buhari appoints Akwa as NDDC’s Interim Administrator

    Buhari appoints Akwa as NDDC’s Interim Administrator

    President Buhari has appointed Effiong Okon Akwa as the Interim Administrator of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

    Mr Akwa was until his new appointment the Acting Executive Director, Finance and Administration, of the NDDC, under the Professor Kemebradikumo Pondei-led Interim Management Committee (IMC).

    According to a statement issued by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina on Saturday, December 12, Akwa would henceforth oversee the affairs of the Commission till the end of the ongoing forensic auditing of the interventionist agency.

    “President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of an interim administrator to oversee the affairs of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC)

    He is Mr Effiong Okon Akwa, the Ag. Executive Director, Finance and Administration of the Commission, who is to assume headship till completion of the forensic audit.

    Mr Akwa is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.

    The development became necessary as a result of plethora of litigation and a restraining order issued recently against the Interim Management Committee of the NDDC by a Federal High Court in Abuja” the statement read

  • Gov Sanwo-Olu tests positive for COVID-19

    Gov Sanwo-Olu tests positive for COVID-19

    Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has tested positive for COVID19.

    The state Commissioner for Health, Akin Abayomi, disclosed this on Twitter on Saturday evening, December 12.

    On Friday December 11, Governor Sanwo-Olu went into isolation after one of his aides tested positive for the novel virus.

    Abayomi’s statement reads

    ”Following Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s exposure to a confirmed case of COVID-19, a PCR test performed yesterday, the 11th of December, has confirmed that he has indeed been infected with the virus, which is supported by mild symptoms and fatigue typical of a mild case of COVID.

    Mr. Governor is receiving treatment and is being closely monitored at home by the very experienced State COVID-19 clinical team from IDH Yaba.

    Mr. Sanwo-Olu is doing well on treatment and rest and we are confident that he will recover quickly and clear the virus. We are seeing slightly increasing number of COVID-19 positive cases in clusters in Lagos and all residents and visitors should strictly adhere to the prescribed advisories of safe distancing, mask-wearing, good hand and respiratory hygiene and avoidance of unnecessary or large gatherings.

    The festive season is likely to create the opportunity for the virus to spread if we are not compliant with the regulations established by the Presidential Task Force (PTF) for inbound travellers and the festive season celebrations. All inbound travellers must be COVID-19 negative by PCR before they board a flight to Nigeria and must self-isolate on arrival and undergo a pre-booked test on Day Seven of arrival in Nigeria.

    Lagosians should keep celebrations to a minimum and be observant and responsible in their interactions. The significant gains achieved to date in containing COVID-19 in Lagos, which has allowed us to carefully reopen the economy, must not be reversed.

    No one is immune to this virus and it is certainly still circulating in the community.

    Please join me in praying and wishing the Incident Commander of the Lagos State COVID-19 response, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, a speedy recovery so he can return to normal duties as soon as possible.

    I will be keeping the public informed regularly of Mr. Governor’s recovery and wellbeing.

    Professor Akin Abayomi

    Honourable Commissioner for Health

    12th December 2020”

  • Award-winning Exhibition of the Drawing Competitionon Fighting COVID-19 Kicks off at GSS Garki

    Award-winning Exhibition of the Drawing Competitionon Fighting COVID-19 Kicks off at GSS Garki

    On Dec. 9th, 2020, the Award-winning Exhibition of the Drawing Competition on Fighting COVID-19 is open to students and teachers at GSS Garki. To promote cultural and educational exchanges between China and Nigeria, the Chinese Embassy in Nigeria, in collaboration with FCT Secondary Education Board (SEB) and China Cultural Center in Nigeria (CCCN), hosts this exhibition. Mr. Li Xuda, Cultural Counsellor of the Chinese Embassy and Director of CCCN, Mr. Yahaya Musa Muhammad, Chairman of SEB, teachers and students, journalists from NAN, NTA, Summit Post News, People’s Daily Online are present at the opening ceremony of the Exhibition.

    In his remark, Counsellor Li says that in August, the Chinese Embassy in Nigeria and FCT Secondary Education Board worked together and successfully hosted 2020 China Image Drawing Competition themed with “The Strength of China-Nigeria Solidarity in Defeating Covid-19”. In September, the Awarding Ceremony for the 2020 China Image Drawing Competition was held in the Chinese Embassy. Since then two months passed, today witnesses the opening of Award-winning Exhibition of the Drawing Competition on Fighting COVID-19. When we view the exhibition, through those beautiful paintings we can see that Nigerian talented students expressed their respects to Chinese and Nigerian doctors and health workers who’re fighting COVID-19 in the forefront, extended their best wishes for the solidarity and cooperation, with which we will definitely defeat the pandemic. Their works serve as a cultural bridge, they are really young cultural Ambassadors to our two countries.  

    Counsellor Li emphasizes that China and Nigeria are strategic and cooperative partners, the friendship and brotherhood between China and Nigeria is rock-solid and unbreakable. 2021 will mark the 50th Anniversary of the bilateral ties between China and Nigeria. I’m convinced that our two countries will surely offer mutual support and fight shoulder to shoulder in the face of covid-19. With solidarity and cooperation, we will definitely defeat the pandemic. 

    On behalf of FCT Secondary Education Board, Chairman Muhammad congratulates the opening of the Exhibition. He says it’s commendable that the Chinese Embassy organized and sponsored the image drawing competition in this August when Nigerian students were on lockdown at home. The Board remains grateful to the Chinese Embassy and CCCN for not just organizing the event, but the award of prizes to the winning students and consolation prizes to all the participants. Chairman Muhammad also uses this opportunity to draw attention of both students and staff that the COVID-19 Pandemic is still around and dangerous, so by organizing this Exhibition to sensitize us more on the protocol is a welcome idea. The Board sincerely acknowledges and appreciates China’s kind gesture. 

    Over 30 award-winning paintings selected from 2020 China Image Drawing Competition are displayed at GSS Garki, the Exhibition will last 10 days in that school and later will move to other Nigerian schools in Abuja. 

  • Kankara Gss School Attack: IGP Deploys Additional Rescue Assets

    Kankara Gss School Attack: IGP Deploys Additional Rescue Assets

    Orders Revamp of Security Around Schools

    The Inspector General of Police, IGP M.A Adamu, NPM, mni has ordered the deployment of additional operational and investigative assets to support the ongoing search and rescue operations in Kankara and its environs in Katsina State. The deployment is sequel to the unfortunate attack on Government Science Secondary School, Kankara, Katsina State by heavily armed men on 11th December, 2020 which left some of the students missing.

    The deployment, which includes personnel from the Police Tactical Squads and crack detectives from the Force Intelligence Bureau, will provide investigative support to the Katsina State Police Command. They are also to work in sync with the military and other law enforcement agents in coordinated efforts aimed at rescuing the students, hunting down the perpetrators and bringing them to book.

    Investigations so far reveal that one of the attackers was killed and a policeman injured during the attack. The exact number of students missing cannot be ascertained at the moment as massive operations including investigations, search and rescue exercise are still ongoing.

    Meanwhile, the IGP has ordered the immediate review and strengthening of security arrangements around educational institutions in the Country.

  • Northern Governors Condemn Attack On Katsina School

    Northern Governors Condemn Attack On Katsina School

    The Northern Governors Forum is enraged over Saturday’s attack by bandits on Government Science Secondary School, Kankara in Katsina State. 
    Chairman the Forum and Governor of Plateau State Simon Bako Lalong in a statement said the Governors totally condemn the unfortunate incident which is regrettable and intolerable. 
    While expressing solidarity with their colleague Governor Aminu Bello Masari, the Government and people of Katsina State, the Northern Governors said they stand with the authorities as they do everything possible to respond to the situation and ensure that no student gets missing or harmed.
    Governor Lalong said they remain solidly behind security agencies who responded appropriately and have been in pursuit of the bandits to ensure that normalcy is restored and the criminals are apprehended. 
    He also said the Forum appreciates the directive by President Muhammadu Buhari to the security forces to deploy every available resource needed to deal with the situation.
    Lalong said the prayers of the Forum are with the families of the students, the school authorities and the injured, even as he called on the citizens to volunteer useful information to the security agencies and relevant Government bodies that will assist in quick resolution of the sad incident. 

  • Soldiers kill bandits in Benue State

    Soldiers kill bandits in Benue State

    By Isaac Kertyo Makurdi   

    No fewer than three suspected armed bandits terrorising Benue communities were reportedly killed at Adaka in Makurdi Local Government Area by the troops of the Military operatives, popularly known as Operation Whirl Stroke.   

    Findings by Day Break showed that the incident occurred following a gun duel with the troops by the aforesaid bandits on Makurdi-Naka-Adoka road, few kilometers from Makurdi, the Benue State capital.   

    Checks by Day Break further indicated that the armed bandits had attacked Adaka community and shot into the air to scare residents of the area, where they robbed the people of various item.   

    The armed bandits met their Waterloo after distress calls were put across to the military personnel who were on patrol of the area. The operation whirl stroke, it was learnt shot dead three of them while others ran into the bush .    Items recovered from the bandits include three AK47 among other items.   

    Confirming the incident, the Commander in charge of the troops, Majoy General Adeyemi Yekini averred that his patrol team had an encounter with some armed bandits in Adaka community.    

    His words: ” Our troops are on top of the situation and will be alive to their responsibility to protect lives and property of the people,” Gen. Yekini assured.