Category: News

You can add some category description here.

  • Wole Soyinka Rejects New NBC Code on Arts

    Wole Soyinka Rejects New NBC Code on Arts

    Nigeria’s Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, has kicked against the sixth National Broadcast Code recently released by the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), saying it will strangulate the producers of artworks.

    In a statement Tuesday, the novelist said the federal government was declaring war against the arts and producers of art works.

    “I think it is about time the government comes out openly and admits that it has declared war against the arts and its producers, instead of its present tactics of piecemeal attrition.

    “Just when we were reeling from the action of the Ministry of Youth Development and Sports in joining hands with book pirates by providing a free-loading portal for the works of Nigerian authors, among others, along comes a new regulatory hit against the cinema and video enterprise, and its operators,” he said.

    The renowned writer and author of many first-rate books however commended the Director-General of the Nigerian Copyright Commission for promptly responding to complaints by Nigerian authors on the threat to their copyright.

    While noting that some of the amendments are well-intentioned, Soyinka stated the code is the equivalent of a knee to the neck of the creative industry and carries the potential of economic sabotage.

    “And now it is the turn of a sister industry to be placed under siege! I have just read excerpts of the newly proposed NBC broadcasting code and become aware of some potentially dangerous aspects of the code.

    “Whilst one concedes that, I shudder to imagine unintended consequences such as backhanded censorship in the age of digital media. These restrict intellectual property rights and their scope of exploitation with whomsoever one chooses to collaborate,” he said

  • BREAKING: Explosion rocks NNPC facility, Causes Seven death

    BREAKING: Explosion rocks NNPC facility, Causes Seven death

    An explosion on Oil Mining Lease 40 operated by the Nigerian Petroleum Development Company has killed seven workers, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation announced on Wednesday.

    NPDC is the flagship subsidiary of NNPC.

    The explosion occurred on Tuesday at the petroleum company’s Benin River Valve Station.

    The Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, NNPC, Kennie Obateru, said the BRVS explosion happened at Gbetiokun, OML 40, operated by NPDC.

    He disclosed this in a statement issued in Abuja entitled “NNPC Reports Explosion at NPDC’s Benin River Valve Station.”

    Obateru said, “The incident, which occurred on Tuesday during the installation of a ladder on a platform (Benin River Valve Station) for access during discharging of Gbetiokun production, unfortunately caused seven fatalities.”

    The national oil firm said a detailed investigation of the cause of the explosion had commenced.

    It said the Department of Petroleum Resources had been duly notified and Form 41 was being prepared for the industry regulator as required in circumstances of this nature.

  • Chief of Staff to Kwara State Governor, Aminu Logun is dead

    Chief of Staff to Kwara State Governor, Aminu Logun is dead

    Kwara State Governor, Abdulrasaq Abdulrahman has lost his Chief of State, Aminu Logun to death

    This was disclosed by Fafoluyi Olayinka, the Special Assistant, New Media to the Governor through his twitter account.

    “Kwara State Chief Of Staff, Aminu Adisa Logun Is Dead. Indeed, death is the next thing after birth. Black Tuesday here in Kwara.”Fafoluyi said.

    The late Logun was appointed the Chief of Staff of the Kwara State Governor in 2019 a few weeks after Governor Abdulrazaq was sworn in.

  • Unknown Gunmen kills district head in Kebbi

    Unknown Gunmen kills district head in Kebbi

    Unidentified gunmen have killed the district head of Bajida, Alhaji Musa Muhammad Bahago, in Fakai Local Government Areas of Kebbi State.

    An elder brother to the late district head, Umar Muhammad, confirmed to newsmen on Wednesday that the deceased was killed on Tuesday at around 6pm on his way back to Bajida.

    According to him, his late brother died at the age of 56 and left four wives and many children behind.
    When contacted, the spokesperson of the Kebbi State Police Command, DSP Nafi’u Abubakar, confirmed the incident.
    He said the late Bahago was hacked to death on his way back to his domain in Bajida from Zuru.

    According to the police, the deceased was driving himself in his car when he was blocked and his killers inflicted several matches cuts on him which led to his death.

    He added that, so far, no arrest had been made and that police were making a frantic effort to unearth the perpetrators of the crime with a view to bring them to book. “The police are aware of the unfortunate incident and are making an effort to bring the culprits to book,” he said.

  • Viral video: FRSC orders prosecution of driver, investigation of patrol team

    Viral video: FRSC orders prosecution of driver, investigation of patrol team

    The Corps Marshal, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Dr Boboye Oyeyemi, on Wednesday ordered the prosecution of an erring driver, following the viral video of a marshal on a vehicle’s bonnet.
    Oyeyemi gave the directive in a statement issued by Mr Bisi Kazeem, Corps Public Education Officer (CPEO) in Abuja.

    The corps marshal also called for the investigation of the patrol team.

    The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the incident occurred on Monday on Ikorodu-Sagamu Road in Lagos, during a special joint patrol operations.

    The operation was aimed at enforcing PTF’s directives on physical distancing and prevention of passengers’ overloading.

    Oyeyemi said that the agency’s attention had been drawn to a viral video circulating in the social media where a patrol team member of the Corps was seen on the bonnet of a vehicle (Honda Odessey).

    “The vehicle, whose driver was attempting to avoid arrest, having been accosted by the team for committing the offence of seatbelt use violation, absconded,” he said.

    Oyeyemi, who said he was saddened by the development, ordered the entire team to be recalled to the Lagos State Sector Command for investigation and appropriate disciplinary actions.

    He said that the investigation would commence in line with the Corps’ regulations, while the erring driver would face immediate prosecution in a court of competent jurisdiction.

    “It is expedient to state that the agency’s operational guidelines do not allow personnel to stand in front of any vehicle while stopping it to effect an arrest, at the detriment of their own safety.

    “For emphasis, the staff does not need to commit suicide while stopping an offender that is already on a suicide mission.

    “Every arrest of an offender is expected to be done within safe and professional limits, in line with their training and operational guidelines.

    “This is not to unnecessarily put their own lives in danger while attempting to arrest a fleeing offender.

    “That is why the Corps has been deploying technology to track all cases of absconding recalcitrant drivers of this nature and bring them to justice,” he said.

    Oyeyemi warned motorists to note that the above scenario was not a guarantee for drivers to continue to disobey traffic laws and exhibit such dastardly acts, that put the lives of law enforcement agents at risk.

    He said that the agency would consequently utilise every legal option within its powers to arrest and prosecute the absconding dangerous driver, who, having realised his folly, abandoned the vehicle and took to his heels.

  • Police search Magu’s residence as NBA backs his probe

    Police search Magu’s residence as NBA backs his probe

    The private residence of the suspended chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Ibrahim Magu was searched Tuesday by some policemen attached to the Force Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department.

    After searching the suspended EFCC boss’s residence located on Abduljalil Street, Karu Site, Abuja, the officers made away with some documents. The search was conducted around 6pm.

    Magu was detained by the police after Monday’s interrogation and was returned to the police custody at 8:30pm on Tuesday.

    Meanwhile, the Nigerian Bar Association on Tuesday supported the probe of Magu over the graft allegations.

    The National Publicity Secretary of the association, Kunle Edun told the Punch that “An integral component of the rule of law is that no one is above the law. The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the cleaner on the street are equal before the law.

    “It is only in a situation where there is an obvious lack of democracy and constitutionalism that we see deviations from these established democratic ethos. We have seen a lot of such deviations in Nigeria. This is why it is surprising to some Nigerians that the arrest of the EFCC chairman is a big deal. No, it should not be, because he is also subject to the law. Everyone occupying public office should be ready to give account whenever called upon provided it is not a witch-hunt.

    “The only admonition that the NBA will give is that Ibrahim Magu must be accorded all his fundamental rights as a Nigerian and presumed innocent until otherwise found guilty of whatever allegations made against him by a competent court. He must not be detained beyond the limit set by the constitution.

    “As the NBA President, Paul Usoro, has said in several fora, if you take care of the rule of law, the rule of law will take care of you one day,” he said.

  • Nigeria Army claims to have killed 46 bandits

    Nigeria Army claims to have killed 46 bandits

    Authorities of the Nigeria Army say 46 armed bandits were killed in Katsina State during a clash in Batsari Local Government Area of the State.

    The Army said the fierce encounter followed a distress call from Yar Gamji town in the local council that armed bandits had invaded the area.

    According to a military source, “The troops of Nigerian Army Super Camp 4 Faskari Operation Sahel Sanity on July 6, 2020 received a distress call of the invasion of armed bandits in Yar Gamji town in Batsari LGA.

    “The gallant troops who were just inducted into operation responded swiftly to the call. The troops engaged the criminals and neutralised 46 bandits in the encounter while others escaped with gunshot wounds.”

    On its side, the Nigeria Air Force said the air component of Operation Hadarin Daji had destroyed some armed bandits’ camps and neutralised several bandits in a fresh air interdiction operation launched July 6, 2020, in Sokoto State.

    It said the subsidiary air interdiction operation conducted as part of efforts to rid the North-west of armed bandits, cattle rustlers, kidnappers and other criminal elements under the Defence Headquarters-led Operation Accord.

  • BREAKING: Ondo Assembly suspends Deputy Speaker, alongside lawmaker

    BREAKING: Ondo Assembly suspends Deputy Speaker, alongside lawmaker

    The Deputy Speaker of the Ondo State House of Assembly, Iroju Ogundeji has been suspended.

    Ogundeji was suspended alongside another member of the House, Hon. Adewale Williams.

    The two lawmakers were suspended by the leadership of the House on Wednesday during plenary for unruly behaviour.

    The affected lawmakers were among the nine lawmakers who did not sign the impeachment notice against the embattled Deputy Governor of the state, Agboola Ajayi.

  • NGO campaigns against rape, gender violence in Ogun

    NGO campaigns against rape, gender violence in Ogun

    By Ademola Ogunbon

    Disturbed by the alarming rate of rape and other sexual and gender-based crimes in the country, a foundation and Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), Oyenola Oluwole Foundation (OOF), in partnership with some stakeholders, has intensified its efforts through outdoor exercise and awareness campaign against rape and other gender crimes.

    The outdoor exercise tagged “Walk Against Rape and Female Genital Mutilation”, also known as Female Circumcision, was aimed at campaigning against rape, which has tripled in number since Covid-19 lockdown, held at Abeokuta, the State capital.

    Convener of the exercise and founder of the organization, Asiwaju Oyenola Oluwole (Wole Papa) appealed to the Nigerian government to exercise its political will and legislative powers to eradicate rape and other gender crimes, especially Female Genital Mutilation which has become embarrassing cultural practice in the country.

    While narrating his personal ordeals with his family, he said “apart from the denigration of human dignity and existence, the stigma that follows this despicable act is always a lasting scar, difficult to erase or wipe away, because of the continual psychological trauma.”

    Oluwole said that according to the Nigeria Police, between January and May this year, there were 717 reported cases of rape, as UNICEF statistics confirmed that one in four girls experienced sexual violence before the age of 18, adding that sometimes this despicable acts involved murder of the victims in the process.

    He said that they were unable to do much at this time than to campaign against rape and other sexual crimes, through means that they would be safe and also accessible to everyone to hear their voices at this time, noting that they decided to hike with few people under strict observation of the social distancing rules for outdoor events.

    “Indeed, rape is a crime, it is traumatizing and we called on the Federal Government for stricter measures against rapists in Nigeria,” Oluwole said

    He said that women were more vulnerable to sexual crimes than men, noting that sexual violence reflects and reinforces existing gender inequalities.

    It would be recalled that Oyenola Oluwole Foundation was established with the objective of campaigning against Female Genital Mutilation, Rape, Domestic Violence and every form of Social Vices that devalues human dignity.

  • BREAKING: Buhari replaces two non-career Ambassadors

    BREAKING: Buhari replaces two non-career Ambassadors

    The Senate on Wednesday received a request from President Muhammadu Buhari for the replacement and confirmation of two non-career Ambassadors-designate.

    The request was contained in a letter read during the plenary by the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan.

    The President sought to replace the earlier nomination of Mr. Oboro Effiong Akpabio and Brigadier General Bwala Yusuf Bukar from Akwa-Ibom and Borno State, respectively.

    A statement by Ahmad’s spokesperson, Ezrel Tabiowo quoted the letter as saying: “In accordance with Section 171(1)(2)(c) and subsection (4) of the 1999 Constitution as amended, I have the honour to forward for confirmation by the Senate, the appointment of Mr. John J. Usanga and Air Commodore Peter Anda Bakiya Gana (rtd) from Akwa-Ibom and Niger State respectively, as non-career Ambassadors-designate.

    “The Senate is kindly requested to recall my earlier submission of Mr. Oboro Effiong Akpabio and Brigadier General Bwala Yusuf Bukar from Akwa-Ibom and Borno State respectively, vide letter dated 17th June 2020, I substitute Mr. Oboro Effiong Akpabio with Mr. John J. Usanga (Akwa-Ibom State). I replace Brigadier General Bwala Yusuf Bukar (Borno State) with Air Commodore Peter Anda Bakiya Gana (Niger State).”

    But coming under Order 43 of the Senate Standing Rules, the lawmaker representing FCT in the upper chamber, Senator Philip Aduda, protested the exclusion of a non-career Ambassador from the FCT.

    NEWS: Kanye West vows to defeat Trump, win US 2020 presidential race
    According to him, the only FCT indigene presently serving as a non-career Ambassador in Sierra Leone, Hafiz Obada, was not re-appointed.

    “For the ambassadorial nomination for the non-career, nothing has been said about the one for FCT. It has been silent and we have an Ambassador who is already sitting in Sierra Leone, his name is Ambassador Hafiz Obada. We don’t know what becomes of his fate because other states have been told to remain in their stations or they have been re-appointed.

    “My issue is that at this time FCT will now lose an Ambassador. It is worrisome to me and the people of the FCT. Sitting here, names have been called for all other states except FCT and we have one.

    “Now that particular non-career Ambassadorial slot for the FCT is being taken away from us and is being killed, otherwise we are also entitled to have, and that is what I have consistently said since this list came out.

    “So, Mr. President, I hope something can be done to this to help the people of the FCT. We don’t get Ministerial nomination, we don’t get so many of these things, but the small ones that we have are about to be taken away which should not be so”, Aduda said.

    NEWS: Arewa youths react to Magu’s suspension, advises Buhari on picking next EFCC chairman
    Lawan, in his remark, described the lawmaker’s complaint as valid, saying it is constitutional for an indigene of the FCT to be appointed as a non-career Ambassador by the President.

    “I sympathize with the FCT but I know there were twelve non-career Ambassadors who were retained. I don’t know if you have an FCT indigene among those twelve, probably you should check that to see if you would see any FCT indigene, but your complaint is very valid.

    “What I’m going to advise is maybe we need to take more political action, so that it doesn’t always come like it is an after-thought. The FCT is to be treated like a state, that’s what the Constitution states, so you deserve one like any other state deserves”, Lawan said.