x

Choice Of Service Provider: Don’t Truncate 2025 Hajj, CSO Urges NAHCON, SMPWBs.

By Jabiru Hassan, Kano

Independent Hajj Reporters (IHR), a faith-based registered Civil Society Organization, has called on the leadership of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) and State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Boards to refrain from any action that could truncate the smooth operation of the forthcoming Hajj 2025.

 

IHR made the call on Sunday in response to a reported squabbles between NAHCON and States over the choice of a service provider for Nigeria’s intending pilgrims.

 

HAJJ REPORTERS had earlier reported that the chairman of NAHCON, Professor Abdullahi Saleh is planning to replace the service provider earlier engaged and whose contract were signed by the NAHCON board last January.

 

The report also narrated the opposition to that decision by the leadership of state boards.

 

“We are aware of the concerns raised by some Executive Secretaries of States Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Boards over the decision of NAHCON Chairman Prof Abdullahi Saleh to begin the process of cancelling the contract of Saudi Arabian Hajj Service Provider,” the CSO said in a statement signed by its national coordinator Ibrahim Mohammed. IHR said the issues, if not handled properly can thwart the 2025 Hajj operations and deny Nigerian intending pilgrims who had registered an opportunity to perform this year’s hajj.

 

IHR said both NAHCON and States need to work together as one body and make any critical decisions together in the interests of Nigerian pilgrims

 

“We are particularly concerned about the situation because we believe that NAHCON must have conducted its due diligence profile checks on the service provider before putting pen to paper.

 

“Attempting to change the selected service provider after signing the contractual agreement, and at a time other countries are almost done with payments for hajj service contracts connotes a self-indictment of failure or incompetence,” IHR said.

 

The CSO added that with the attitude being displayed by Nigerian Hajj officials “no service provider in Saudi Arabia will have confidence in serving Nigerian pilgrims in the future”.

 

It said there is already no adequate time to prepare for the services by the selected service provider due to non-payment from Nigeria.

 

We had earlier acknowledged and commended the efforts made by NAHCON to change service providers based on petitions and complaints from various hajj stakeholders including the Association of Hajj and Umrah Operators of Nigeria (AHUON) about the 2024 service provider. “We also applauded the State Pilgrims board collaborative efforts with NAHCON.

 

“However, we are disturbed that recent developments pose a high risk to Nigerian Hajj 2025 intending pilgrims whose money is the primary source of funds for the exercise.

 

“We, therefore, call on all concerned to be cautious and avoid any friction that may cause the Saudi Arabian Ministry of Hajj and Umrah to outrightly cancel Nigeria’s hajj service contracts and deny our innocent intending pilgrims an opportunity to fulfil their religious obligations”, the statement said.

 

Cancellation of hajj service contracts may dovetail into legal battles that may drag Nigeria into unnecessary litigations in Saudi Arabia unless it is sanctioned by the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah.

 

Hot this week

Plateau Flags Off CNG Conversion Training for 120 Youths

By Israel Adamu, JosThe Government, in collaboration with the...

Arsenal Lead as 14 Teams Reach FA Cup Fifth Round

Arsenal stormed into the FA Cup fifth round for...

FERMA Proposes ₦229.999 Billion 2026 Budget, Calls for Enhanced Legislative Support

By Jabiru HassanThe (FERMA) has submitted a proposed budget...

Kaduna Governor Restores State-Sponsored Christian Pilgrimage After 11-Year Suspension

Christian leaders and intending pilgrims in Kaduna State have...

Wizkid & Fela Kuti: Six Notable Samples and References

A recent cultural debate reignited after Wizkid declared himself...

FHQ Dominates 15th BIPOGA Swimming Competition With 15 Gold Medals

By Anne AzukaThe Police Force Headquarters (FHQ) dominated the...

BIPOGA: Zone 17 Wins 4x400m Relay in Female, Male Categories

By Anne AzukaZone 17 has emerged champion in both...

Nigeria national football team 2026 WCQ Campaign Over on Pitch, FIFA Case Still Pending

Nigeria’s Super Eagles have officially concluded their on-field journey...

Ogun State Police Command Detain TikToker Mirabel Over Alleged False Assault Claim

Popular Nigerian TikTok personality Mirabel has been taken into...

Manchester City F.C. Face Uncertain Future Amid 115-Charge Case

Premier League champions Manchester City remain embroiled in a...

Kogi Govt Hails Tinubu Over Faleke’s Appointment, Describes It as Strategic Masterstroke

From Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Kogi State Government has expressed...

Stephen Keshi Stadium to Host BIPOGA Football Final as Zone 10 Face Zone 4

By Anne AzukaThe final of the male football event...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img