x

Coronavirus: Wuhan residents resume work as China eases restrictions

People in Central China where the coronavirus was first detected are allowed to go back to work and public transport is restarting, as some normality slowly returns after a two-month lockdown.

The easing of restrictions in Wuhan city comes as Chinese health officials reported Monday no new local cases of the deadly virus but confirmed another 39 infections brought from overseas.

Wuhan residents considered healthy can move around the city and take the bus or metro so long as they show ID, officials said.

They can also go back to work if they have a permit from their employer, and leave the city for other parts of the surrounding Hubei province after being tested for the virus and receiving a health certificate.

The virus, which emerged in a market that sold wild animals in December, sparked a dramatic lockdown of the city on January 23 that was then widened to the rest of the province of nearly 60 million people.

The number of persons infected has slowed dramatically and for five straight days and there have been no new cases in Hubei.

Another nine people died in Wuhan, the National Health Commission said Monday in its latest update.

The easing of restrictions follows Chinese President Xi Jinping’s visit to the city earlier this month — his first since the crisis erupted.

As the rate of infection slows in China, the rest of the world has stepped up measures to try and battle the raging pandemic.

China is anxious about an influx of infections brought in from other countries, with the number of imported cases climbing steadily in recent weeks to pass 350.

Of the 39 new cases reported Monday, 10 were in Shanghai and 10 were in Beijing.

Many cities have brought in tough rules to quarantine new arrivals.

Authorities have said all Beijing-bound international flights will be diverted to other cities where they will be screened for the virus to help make the process more efficient.

Those who get the all-clear will be allowed to continue to Beijing where they will still be sent to quarantine facilities.

There have now been over 81,000 cases in China, and the death toll has reached 3,270.

Hot this week

Audi: Trajectory of Success and Changing the Narrative

From a plethora of achievements and milestones—despite daunting challenges...

U.S Bill: Driving a wedge at Nigeria- China Partnership

 By Charles Onunaiju, AbujaJust recently, American’s political establishment took...

North-Central APC Forum Rejects Calls for Governors to Face Primaries Ahead of 2027

The North-Central All Progressives Congress (APC) Forum has opposed...

Psychiatric Hospital Kaduna Management Criticises NANNM over Strike Action

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaThe management of the Federal Neuro-Psychiatric...

NLC warns Senate over electronic transmission of election results

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has warned that workers...

Olakunle Churchill Celebrates Wife Rosy Meurer on Her Birthday

Nigerian businessman and philanthropist Olakunle Churchill is celebrating his...

Arsenal Lead as 14 Teams Reach FA Cup Fifth Round

Arsenal stormed into the FA Cup fifth round for...

NO ONE IS ABOVE GOD, NOT EVEN THE POPE – AONDOAKAA

Former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of...

TY Danjuma Praises Trump for Spotlight on Middle Belt Insecurity at Plateau Varsity Event

Former Defence Minister, Lt.-Gen. Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma (retd.), has...

Diri Marks Sixth Anniversary in Office with Thanksgiving Service in Bayelsa

Bayelsa State Governor Douye Diri on Saturday marked six...

Asaba 2026: Tinubu, Oborevwori Rally Support as Police Games Open

By Anne AzukaPresident and Delta State Governor have reaffirmed...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img