x

Court fixes Nov. 15 to hear EFCC amended charge against Dudafa

A Federal High Court In Lagos yesterday, fixed Nov. 15, to take arguments on an amended charge filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against a former aide to President Goodluck Jonathan, Waripamo-Owei Dudafa.

Dudafa is charged alongside one Iwejuo Nna, on charges bordering on N1.6 billion fraud.

EFCC arraigned the accused on June 11, 2013, before Justice Mohammed Idris on 23-counts of conspiracy to conceal proceeds of crime amounting.

They had pleaded not guilty to the charges and were granted bail.

The prosecution closed its case on March 16, but the accused opted to make a no-case submission in its defence and urged the court to dismiss the case, on the grounds that the prosecution failed to establish any case against them.

Justice Idris in a ruling delivered in August, dismised the no case submission of the accused, and ordered them to open their defence.

Defence had since opened its case, after which the court adjourned for adoption of final written addresses.

Meanwhile, yesterday, the prosecutor, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo, informed the court of an amended charge against the accused, and told the court that same had been served on defence counsel.

He told the court that the amendment was not prejudicial, and urged the court to accept same and cause the respective pleas of the accused to be taken. In response, defence counsel, Messrs Gboyega Oyewole (SAN) and Ige Asemudara, respectively, resisted the move by prosecution, on the grounds that they had not studied the amended charge.

Asemudara, specifically, told the court that he had just seen the amended charge since he was away when prosecution informed him of same.

He told the court that he required time to study same.

Oyewole on the other hand, told the court that he also needed time to go through the amended charge, as the amendment may be over reaching, adding that defence counsel was mindful of its effect on the accused.

He prayed the court for an adjournment After listening to counsel, Justice Idris adjourned the case until Nov.15, to hear arguments on the charge.

The court held that the outcome of the court’s ruling, will then determine whether the adoption of final addresses will proceed thereafter.

The offences for which the accused are being tried, contravenes the provisions of Sections 17(a), 18 (c), and 27 (3) (c) of the EFCC Establishment Act 2004

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

INEC Collapses Plans to RecallSenator Natasha in Kogi

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC)...

BREAKING: Renewed Hope Proactiveness In Tackling Emergencies Commended.

By Jabiru Hassan.Less than 24 hours of the sad...

INEC Rejects Petition to Recall Senator Natasha in Kogi,

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)...

Delta 2027: No Vacancy In Govt House, says Guwor

By Anne Azuka Speaker, Delta State House of Assembly, Rt...

Rainstorm destroys over 70 houses  in Langtang South LGA of Plateau

By Isreal Adamu, Jos No fewer than 70  houses and...

Plateau govt fumes as gunmen kill 10 persons in Bokkos LGA 

By Israel Adamu,Jos At least, 10 persons were killed on...

SOSG seeks partnership to revive moribound industries 

By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto Gov  Ahmed Aliyu says his administration...

Governor Skkoto bags ANCOPS’s Excellence Award In Education

By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto The All Nigerian Conference of Principals...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img