x

CSO Asks NAHCON, States To Inform Intending Pilgrims Basic Travel Allowance Embedded in 2024 Hajj fare.

By Jabiru Hassan, Kano.

Independent Hajj Reporters, IHR, has asked the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, NAHCON and the States Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Boards and Agencies to inform all Hajj 2024 intending pilgrims how much they will receive as Basic Travel Allowance, BTA.

IHR said it has become necessary to draw the attention of the NAHCON and state Hajj agencies that the 2024 Hajj fare they announced so far did not indicate the amount that will be given to intending pilgrims as BTA contrary to usual practices over the years.

This was contained in a statement signed by the national coordinator of the group, Ibrahim Muhammed and made available to newsmen.

The BTA, IHR said, is an allowance of foreign currency that a Nigerian citizen, in this case, the pilgrims to Saudi Arabia is allowed to draw from a Nigerian bank when travelling abroad. It’s a part of the country’s foreign exchange controls and such money is added to the hajj fare components.

“Traditionally, the announcement of Hajj fare by NAHCON always comes with a provision of Basic Travelling Allowance for each intending pilgrim. This is meant to allow pilgrims to prepare their minds on how much they will receive and make their financial plans accordingly.

“For example, the 2023 Hajj pilgrims paid an average of N2.9m inclusive of $800 Basic Travel Allowance. Hajj fare computations consist of local and foreign service components with Basic Travelling Allowance for pilgrims.

“However, the previous board of NAHCON later slashed the 2023 Hajj BTA to $700 owing to what they described as differentials in airfare tickets. This year’s hajj fare was announced without stating how much is the BTA even when additional hajj fare was announced,” IHR said.

The group said the BTA is given to pilgrims on the day of their departure to Saudi Arabia as pocket expense funds to enable pilgrims to take care of certain financial needs while in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

The CSO added that “it is strange that the two-hajj fares announced so far by NAHCON has not announced provisions for BTA for intending pilgrims even after another announcement on the increment of the fare from the N4.899 to N6.617”.

“We are calling on NAHCON and States Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Agencies to immediately announce how much is the 2024 hajj BTA to intending pilgrims,” IHR said.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

BREAKING: Kevin De Bruyne Confirms Manchester City Departure

Kevin De Bruyne has officially announced that he will...

Wike dismisses rumours of collapse, says its a political gimmick to divert attention

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe FCT Minister, Barr. Nysome Wike on...

Ijoba Lande Reveals Payment After a Month on Set with Funke Akindele

Controversial Nollywood actor and comedian, Ijoba Lande, has shared...

Protesters Demand Suspension of FUOYE VC Over Alleged Sexual Harassment

Protesters gathered at the Federal Ministry of Education in...

Six Nigerians Among 0.8% of World’s Black Billionaires – Forbes

Black billionaires remain a small fraction of the world’s...

JUST-IN: Court Stops Pro-Wike Rally In Bayelsa

A Bayelsa State High Court in Yenagoa has issued...

Trump Introduces $5M ‘Gold Card’ Visa Program

Aboard Air Force One on Thursday, U.S. President Donald...

BREAKING: Supreme Court sacks Abure as Labour Party chairman

The Supreme Court has removed Julius Abure as the...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img