x

FG releases N386m for Coronavirus prevention

The Federal Government has released N386million to two health agencies to strengthen Coronavirus (COVID19) preparedness in Nigeria.

Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Health, Mr Abdulaziz Mashi Abdulaziz, disclosed this to newsmen while providing updates on the preparedness for Coronavirus and Lassa Fever in the country, on Friday in Abuja.

Abdullaziz noted that the amount was released by the government in two batches.

“While the first batch of N71 million was released at the end of January to facilitate activities of the Port Health Services department of the ministry, the second was released after the Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, said the government had budgeted N620 million to curtail the virus from entering Nigeria when he appeared before the Senate Committee on Health.

“It is true that intervention was sought from the presidency and the Ministry of Finance and Budget Planning. This is because of the level of the emergency. I can confirm to you that N71million was released to the Port Health Services division of the (health) ministry.

“The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control was also given N315m directly. Other requests are in the pipeline and yet to be released,” he said.

Earlier, in his address, Senator Olorunnimbe Mamora, Minister for States, FMOH, said information available to the Nigerian government was that the first case of coronavirus had been reported from Egypt and that the affected person was a foreigner.

Mamora added that the Ministry has inaugurated an inter-ministerial committee to provide oversight leadership.

He said the committee was being coordinated by the NCDC and that it meets twice in a week.

He said, “Nigeria is receiving technical support from the World Health Organisation, Africa Centre for Disease Control and West African Health Organisation.”

He added that the Port Health Services had intensified screening of passengers coming from China and other countries of high risk.

Screening forms have been provided to all airlines.

“As at now, there is no report of any confirmed case in Nigeria. Clinicians are being trained on the management of cases at the moment.

”We are developing a stockpile of medical supplies to be used in the event of any outbreak.

”Our capacity for testing has been enhanced because we have three laboratories in Edo, Lagos states as well as in Abuja,” he said.

Hot this week

Gunmen Kidnap Two Members of CEFN Church in Kogi

By Noah Ocheni, Lokoja Gunmen have abducted two members of...

D-CARES Implementation Applauded at NG-CARES South-South Review Meeting

By Anne Azuka Governor Sheriff Oborevwori has commended the World...

Prof Usman Ogbo Congratulates New Polytechnic Governing Council

By Noah Ocheni, Lokoja The Rector of Kogi State Polytechnic,...

NDLEA Arrests Suspect With 9kg Cannabis Worth Over ₦10m Along Zaria-Kano Road

By Jabiru Hassan Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement...

2027: Middle Belt Group Protests PDP Zoning, Demands Presidential Ticket

By Israel Adamu, Jos The Cultural Middle Belt Renaissance Forum...

Plateau Youth Activist Hoomen Congratulates Dr. Cyril Tsenyil on NCDC Appointment

By Israel Adamu, Jos Plateau youth activist, Comrade Pius Hoomen,...

Ododo Orders Appointees to Return to LGAs for Grassroots Mobilisation on CVR

By Noah Ocheni, Lokoja Kogi State Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Usman...

Chinese film on Nanjing Massacre resonates with Nigerian audience Source:...

Oborevwori, Senator Nwoko Hail Igbo Socio-Cultural Group for Tackling Identity Crisis

By Anne Azuka The Igbo Unification Movement, in collaboration with...

Tinubu Declares 9th National Youth Games Open in Delta

By Anne Azuka The 9th National Youth Games kicked off...

PAAU Gets NUC Approval for MBBS Program

By Noah Ocheni, Lokoja The Faculty of Medicine at Prince...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img