x

Joint WHO-China report gives full recognition to China’s effort

An official report on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) released jointly by the World Health
Organization and China’s National Health Commission identified the disease as a zoonotic virus
and stated that there is no known pre-existing immunity in humans, and everyone is assumedly
susceptible to infection.
According to the report, titled WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019, which is
based on analysis of data the WHO and Chinese health authorities gathered from February 16-24
in China, human-to-human transmission is largely occurring in families.
The report also found that people with COVID-19 generally show symptoms within five to six
days, on average, after contracting the infection, and most people infected have mild symptoms
and could recover.
However, individuals, including people aged over 60 and those with underlying conditions such as
hypertension face the highest risk of severe conditions and even death, the report said.
COVID-19 is transmitted through droplets and fomites during close unprotected contact between
an infector and infectee. Airborne transmission has not been reported for COVID-19 and it is not
believed to be a major source of transmission based on available evidence, the report stated, which
is in line with the Chinese health authorities’ previous findings.
The cordon sanitaire around Wuhan and neighboring cities imposed since January 23 has
effectively prevented further exportation of infected individuals to the rest of the country, the
report added.
“In the face of a previously unknown virus, China has rolled out perhaps the most ambitious,
agile, and aggressive disease containment effort in the history,” the report hailed while
elaborating, “The strategy that underpinned this containment effort was initially a national
approach that promoted universal temperature monitoring, masking, and hand washing. However,
as the outbreak evolved, and knowledge was gained, a science and risk-based approach was taken
to tailor implementation.”
The implementation of these containment measures has been supported and enabled by the
innovative and aggressive use of cutting-edge technologies, from shifting to online medical
platforms for routine care and schooling to the use of 5G platforms to facilitate rural response
operations, it stated.

Hot this week

Spring Festival: Tegbe Congratulates China, Backs Deeper Economic Integration

The Director-General of the Nigeria–China Strategic Partnership (NCSP), Joseph...

El-Rufai Must Return Every Kobo Allegedly Looted – Shehu Sani

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaFormer Senator representing Kaduna Central in...

Kano Speaker Extends Condolences Over Singa Market Fire

By Jabiru HassanThe Speaker of the , Rt. Hon....

Kaduna Communities Praise Defence Minister’s Free JAMB Registration Scheme

Communities across Kaduna State have welcomed a free Joint...

Wike’s Bold Governance , Infrastructure Renewal in FCT is Exemplary, says Gusau

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuThe former Coordinating Director, Economic and...

Excitement as Warri/Effurun Roads, Flyovers near completion

. Julius Berger works speedily ahead rainy seasonThere...

Ibom Air Partners MWAN on Cancer Awareness

By Ogenyi Ogenyi, Uyohas partnered with the (MWAN) to...

A’Ibom Confident of April Target for Int’l Flights as VAIA Receives Boarding Bridges

By Ogenyi Ogenyi, UyoThe Government has expressed confidence that...

NYA: A Platform for Young Nigerians to Defend Democracy – Youth President

By Jabiru HassanThe (NYA) has reaffirmed its commitment to...

FG Reaffirms Commitment to Interfaith Dialogue and National Unity

By Francis WilfredPresident has reaffirmed Nigeria’s commitment to interfaith...

Bayelsa Honours Over 90 Veteran Journalists with Cash Awards, Football Fiesta

More than 90 retired journalists in were celebrated for...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img