x

Nasarawa: Tiv Farmers in Awe LGA Accuse Govt.  Officials of Forcefully Harvesting Rice

By Leo Zwànke, Lafia
Farmers in Anyarkeke, Ikyochiha, Shankodi, and China communities of Ribi District, Jangwa Development Area, Awe Local Government Area, Nasarawa State, have raised serious allegations against government officials and traditional leaders. They claim their rice crops are being forcefully harvested by individuals led by the Chief of Jangwa, Shehu Adamu, allegedly acting under orders from the state government.
When our Correspondent visited the communities on Friday who are  predominantly Tiv farming communities, with a population of over 10,000, are in turmoil as their main source of livelihood is being threatened. Some farmers alleged that security personnel, including heavily armed soldiers, accompanied the officials to their farms to carry out the harvest.
Narrating his ordeal, Mr. Joseph Faga, one of the affected farmers, said, “The planting season was peaceful, but everything changed during harvest. I found the commissioner overseeing the Ministry of Agriculture, the local government chairman, and the chief of Jangwa harvesting my rice. When I confronted them, they said it was an order from the state government.”
Faga added, “They have been threshing my rice for three days now under tight security. I feel helpless watching my hard work being taken away like this.”
Another farmer, Mr. Vitalis Chiangi, expressed similar anguish, describing the situation as devastating. “This rice is our only source of income and survival. We plead with the authorities to intervene before things escalate further,” he said.
Community leader Iorlaha Aloysius accused the government of acting contrary to a court order and ignoring the farmers’ rights. “The land is not under dispute, and a high court in Abuja had restrained the state government or any party from interfering with the Tiv farmers. If the government wants the land, they should call for dialogue instead of harvesting our crops without notice. This is unjust and inhuman,” Aloysius stated.
The farmers estimated that over 400 bags of rice had already been harvested from their farms, leaving them in dire straits.
When contacted, the chairman of Awe Local Government Area, Hon. Dankano, denied any involvement in the matter. “I am not aware of such an incident, but I will investigate and provide more information,” he said. When pressed about allegations that he was present during the harvest, Dankano maintained, “I have no knowledge of the situation, but I will look into it and revert.”
Governor Abdullahi Sule recently addressed similar concerns during a visit to Jangwa Development Area, where the state government oversaw the harvest of 2,000 hectares of rice. “The state government has no intention of forcefully taking land from anyone. If there is a need for land acquisition, the right processes, including compensation, will be followed,” the governor assured.
The governor also dismissed allegations circulating on social media about the government’s involvement in the forced harvesting of farmers’ crops. “We are committed to ensuring transparency and fairness in our operations,” he added.
The affected farmers have called on the state and federal governments to investigate the incident, return their harvested rice, and ensure that such occurrences are prevented in the future.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

Wike employs 34 Resident Doctors for FCT Hospitals

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe FCT Minister Barr Nysome Wike has...

Why Uzor Arukwe Is Nollywood’s Hottest Star Right Now – Segun Arinze

Veteran Nollywood actor Segun Arinze has hailed his colleague...

Man gets life jail for setting ex-boss ablaze in Ekiti

An Ekiti State High Court in Ado Ekiti has...

Travellers Stranded in Taraba as Bridge Collapse Cuts Off Major Highway

Travellers and motorists in Taraba State have been left...

President Federation Cup Round of 32 Fixtures Revealed

The highly anticipated President Federation Cup Round of 32...

Kaduna Police Officer Threatens Retaliation Against Southerners Over Uromi Killings

Kaduna State police officer, Hadaina Hussaini Dan-Taki, has sparked...

BREAKING: Edo Tribunal Dismisses Action Alliance’s Petition Against Okpebholo, APC

The Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal in Abuja...

Sterling Bank Stops Online Transfer Charges

Sterling Bank has announced the elimination of transfer fees...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img