x

NEMA Confirms one Dead, 651,000 Displaced in Anambra Flood

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has confirmed the death of one Ginikanwa Izuoba in the Enugu-Otu, Aguleri flood.

Acting State Coordinator of the agency in Anambra, Thickman Tanimu, confirmed the incident in an interview in Awka on Saturday.

Mr Tanimu said the late Izuoba died when his house collapsed due to the impact of the flood.

He also said that at least 651,053 persons in six local government areas of the state had so far been displaced by flooding.

Mr Tanimu said that the agency had undertaken an assessment of flooding in different parts of the state, with Ogbaru having the highest number of victims with 286,000 persons.

He said that Anambra West and East Local Government Areas (LGAs) followed with 237,000 and 103,000 victims, respectively.

He said that Awka North LGA had 10,345 victims, while Ayamelum had 9,240 flood cases with 5,468 displaced persons.

Mr Tanimu said that NEMA, accompanied by officials of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), had visited Umueze-Anam, Mkpunando, Umunteze, Igbedo, Inoma Ifite-Ogwari in Anambra East and Anyamelum LGAs.

“The assessment team observed that the flood has submerged houses, farmlands, schools, health centres, Police Stations and Churches and other critical infrastructure.

“We did the assessment tour with a boat because the access roads to the communities have been submerged by flood water,” he said.

Mr Tanimu commended the Anambra SEMA for taking some proactive measures to mitigate the impact of the disaster.

Some of the measures, he said, included the identification of 13 IDPs camps, recruitment of camp managers and support staff and activation of health workers to work with people in the camps.

He listed the camps so far activated to include the Ifite-Ogwari and Igbakwu Health Centres, adding that “The assessment tour is the first step the Federal Government has to take.

“We have reported our findings to the management of the agency and based on that, they can now deploy relief materials as appropriate.”

He listed clothing, diapers, bedding, sanitary materials and food items, amongst others as part of the relief materials.

“We once again advise villagers to move to the holding camps to avert further loss of lives,” Mr Tanimu said.

Hot this week

A’Ibom tasks sports officials on capacity building

By Ogenyi EmekaPaul Bassey, Commissioner for Sports in Akwa...

Bomb Scare Disrupts Activities at Bayelsa Secretariat, Police Arrest Suspect

Activities were disrupted at the Bayelsa State Civil Service...

FCT Council Election: I ‘ll only Back “Asiwaju ‘s” Supporters—Wike

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuThe FCT) Minister, Barr. Nyesom Wike,...

Kogi Government Warns Churches Against Violating Security Protocols Amid Anti-Crime Drive

The Kogi State Government has warned that churches operating...

Olakunle Churchill Celebrates Wife Rosy Meurer on Her Birthday

Nigerian businessman and philanthropist Olakunle Churchill is celebrating his...

Arsenal Lead as 14 Teams Reach FA Cup Fifth Round

Arsenal stormed into the FA Cup fifth round for...

NO ONE IS ABOVE GOD, NOT EVEN THE POPE – AONDOAKAA

Former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of...

TY Danjuma Praises Trump for Spotlight on Middle Belt Insecurity at Plateau Varsity Event

Former Defence Minister, Lt.-Gen. Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma (retd.), has...

Diri Marks Sixth Anniversary in Office with Thanksgiving Service in Bayelsa

Bayelsa State Governor Douye Diri on Saturday marked six...

Asaba 2026: Tinubu, Oborevwori Rally Support as Police Games Open

By Anne AzukaPresident and Delta State Governor have reaffirmed...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img