x

Ogun doctors raise the alarm, want lockdown

In Ogun State, the branch of the association raised the alarm over the possible spread of COVID-19 in the state.

It, therefore, asked the state Governor, Dapo Abiodun, to lock down the state for at least two weeks in view of the increasing cases of COVID – 19 across the country.

The State Chairman of the association, Dr Ismail Lawal, said this while addressing journalists at the NMA House in Abeokuta.

Lawal said the lockdown would allow the government and health officials to track down some undetected cases in the state.

He further said shutting down of all the activities in the state would prevent the state from getting more cases in the coming weeks.

The NMA chairman warned that the number of coronavirus patients and the contacts so far identified in the state “are just infraction of cases” that were looming in the state.

He maintained that the situation on the ground had shown that the state was not prepared to manage multiple cases of COVID-19.

He stressed that the total lockdown would be for the benefit of everybody in the state at the end of the day.

He described the situation as an emergency which he said must be tackled with seriousness to safe people from contracting the virus.

He said, “This is the time for emergency, whatever resources anywhere should be put together to curb the menace.

“It is only when we manage our people that we can work and government can get money in the long run or in weeks to come.

But the state government said there had not been any reason for lockdown of the state, though it was an option.

The Special Adviser to the state Governor on Public Communications, Remmy Hazzan, said this on Thursday.

Hazzan said the government was taking steps as the events were unfolding.

The government spokesperson said the essence of the government actions was to avoid pressing a panic button.

Hazzan, however, said the government would not hesitate to lock down the state any moment it saw the reason to do so.

The state had on Tuesday recorded another case of COVID-19 in Sagamu through a returnee from the United Kingdom with 32 contacts.

Hazzan said despite the new case the situation had not warranted imposing a lockdown on the people.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

Cricket Federation honours A”Ibom Dep Speaker, gets new cricket turf in Itu

By Ogenyi Ogenyi,UyoThe Nigeria Cricket Federation (NCF) has honoured...

Massacre of over 50 in Plateau, enough is enough- Northern CAN warns

*Say's people now hide under cover of religion, tribal...

NCDMB donates mobility equipment to Persons with Disabilities in Bayelsa

Photo NewsThe Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB)...

Court Stops Pro-Wike Rally In Bayelsa

Amgbare Ekaunkumo, YenagoaA Bayelsa State High Court sitting in...

First Lady, Oluremi Tinubu Flags Off NDDC Medical Outreach In Bayelsa

-as Gov.Diri sues for collaborationBy Amgbare Ekaunkumo,YenagoaNigeria’s First Lady,...

Minister Visits Pipeline Explosion Site in Bayelsa

Vow to Bring Perpetrators to BookAmgbare Ekaunkumo, YenagoaThe Minister...

14 Kidnapped Benue Links Transport Company Passengers Regain Freedom 

By Isaac Kertyo, Makurdi Benue State Police Command has rescued...

Benue’s Products Exhibition to Enhance Economic, Industrial Growth -Gov Alia 

By Isaac Kertyo, Makurdi The Executive Governor of Benue State,...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img