x

Probe uncovers Colonel as alleged coordinator of coup plot against Tinubu

An interim investigation report into the alleged coup plot against President Bola Tinubu’s administration has identified an Army Colonel (name withheld) as the alleged coordinator of a clandestine network of military officers involved in planning the takeover.

The report, sighted on Tuesday, said the officer mobilised personnel across the Army, Navy and Air Force, assigning them to survey critical national installations, including the Presidential Villa, major barracks and international airports.

According to investigators, the officer’s repeated failures in promotion allegedly fuelled his disaffection, which he used to recruit like-minded officers. The report said the plot had moved beyond casual dissent into early operational planning.

In October 2025, the Defence Headquarters announced the arrest of 16 officers over acts of indiscipline. Media reports later linked the arrests to an alleged coup plot, a claim the military initially dismissed as an internal disciplinary matter, pending investigation.

However, on Monday, the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, confirmed that a comprehensive probe had been concluded and forwarded to appropriate authorities.

The interim report described the Colonel as the main source of funding, recruitment and motivation. Searches on his vehicle allegedly uncovered charms and anti-government materials, while a raid on his residence reportedly yielded sensitive documents detailing assigned roles and handling of key national figures.

Investigators said the foiled plot, allegedly scheduled for October 25, 2025, targeted the President, Vice President Kashim Shettima, ministers, service chiefs and strategic installations.

Financial inducements of between ₦2 million and ₦5 million were allegedly paid to some officers, while encrypted platforms were used for coordination. A financial trail is being analysed with the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit.

One suspect, Lt Col S. Bappah, was identified as a key cooperating witness, providing details on funding, recruitment and communication channels.

The Defence Headquarters has said indicted officers will be arraigned before appropriate military judicial panels, as investigations continue to track additional suspects, civilian contacts and possible political links.

Keywords: coup plot, Nigerian military, Tinubu, Defence Headquarters, security investigation

Hot this week

FA Cup Fifth Round Draw Confirmed

The FA Cup fifth-round draw has delivered a blend...

Wike Says FCT Magistrate Court Project to Be Delivered in June

By Joyce Remi - BabayejuThe FCT Minister, Barr. Nyesom...

Abuja Bus Terminals to ” Hit the Ground Running” After FEC Approval, Wike Assures

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuThe FCT Minister, Barr.Nyesom Wike, has...

Wike’s Bold Governance , Infrastructure Renewal in FCT is Exemplary, says Gusau

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuThe former Coordinating Director, Economic and...

Excitement as Warri/Effurun Roads, Flyovers near completion

. Julius Berger works speedily ahead rainy seasonThere...

Ibom Air Partners MWAN on Cancer Awareness

By Ogenyi Ogenyi, Uyohas partnered with the (MWAN) to...

A’Ibom Confident of April Target for Int’l Flights as VAIA Receives Boarding Bridges

By Ogenyi Ogenyi, UyoThe Government has expressed confidence that...

NYA: A Platform for Young Nigerians to Defend Democracy – Youth President

By Jabiru HassanThe (NYA) has reaffirmed its commitment to...

FG Reaffirms Commitment to Interfaith Dialogue and National Unity

By Francis WilfredPresident has reaffirmed Nigeria’s commitment to interfaith...

Bayelsa Honours Over 90 Veteran Journalists with Cash Awards, Football Fiesta

More than 90 retired journalists in were celebrated for...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img