x

Sanwo-Olu Suspends Media Aide Over Misrepresentation on Social Media

By Abigail Philip David

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has suspended his Senior Special Assistant on Print Media, Mr. Wale Ajetunmobi, following a misrepresentation of facts on his personal social media account.

In a statement released on Tuesday by the Governor’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Gboyega Akosile, it was revealed that Ajetunmobi’s suspension was triggered by a controversial post on his X (formerly Twitter) account. The post, which was later deleted, contained misinformation regarding a past incident.

According to Akosile, the suspension stems from Ajetunmobi’s tweet about the arson attack on the Television Continental (TVC) station during the 2020 #EndSARS protests, in which he claimed that those responsible for the attack had been “hunted down and executed.” Ajetunmobi also alleged that one of the alleged arsonists, a young man from Ketu, had been found with an AK-47 rifle.

The statement emphasized that the Sanwo-Olu administration “frowns at any form of extra-judicial punishment” and stressed that such claims were contrary to the administration’s principles. “That is not who we are. That is not our way,” Akosile added.

Following public outcry and inquiries about possible extra-judicial killings, Ajetunmobi responded in a series of tweets, clarifying that his initial use of the term “executed” was a mistake. He further explained that his post was a personal opinion and did not represent the views of his office or the Governor.

In a tweet posted early Tuesday, Ajetunmobi stated, “The word ‘executed’ was erroneously used and not intended in the context of that casual conversation.” He also reiterated that no extra-judicial killings were insinuated and that the comments had been removed.

The controversial tweet followed a report from Premium Times, which quoted Ajetunmobi’s statement about the arsonists involved in the 2020 attack on TVC. The attack had caused significant damage to the station, disrupting operations and forcing over 250 staff members to work from temporary accommodation.

Governor Sanwo-Olu’s administration has reiterated its commitment to upholding justice and due process.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

INEC Collapses Plans to RecallSenator Natasha in Kogi

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC)...

BREAKING: Renewed Hope Proactiveness In Tackling Emergencies Commended.

By Jabiru Hassan.Less than 24 hours of the sad...

INEC Rejects Petition to Recall Senator Natasha in Kogi,

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)...

Delta 2027: No Vacancy In Govt House, says Guwor

By Anne Azuka Speaker, Delta State House of Assembly, Rt...

Rainstorm destroys over 70 houses  in Langtang South LGA of Plateau

By Isreal Adamu, Jos No fewer than 70  houses and...

Plateau govt fumes as gunmen kill 10 persons in Bokkos LGA 

By Israel Adamu,Jos At least, 10 persons were killed on...

SOSG seeks partnership to revive moribound industries 

By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto Gov  Ahmed Aliyu says his administration...

Governor Skkoto bags ANCOPS’s Excellence Award In Education

By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto The All Nigerian Conference of Principals...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img