Tag: Organ Harvesting

  • Ike Ekweremadu, Wife found Guilty of Organ Harvesting

    Ike Ekweremadu, Wife found Guilty of Organ Harvesting

    Former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu has been found guilty of organ trafficking by a United Kingdom court.

    His wife Beatrice and Obinna Obeta, a doctor involved in the case, were also found guilty.

    The jury found that they conspired to bring the victim to London to exploit him for his kidney.

    The Old Bailey heard the organ was for the couple’s daughter, Sonia, aged 25.

    She was cleared of the same charge.

    The victim, a street trader from Lagos, was brought to the UK last year to provide a kidney in an £80,000 private transplant at the Royal Free Hospital in London.

    He said he was promised opportunities in the UK for helping, and that he only realised what was going on when he met doctors at the hospital.

    While it is lawful to donate a kidney, it becomes criminal if there is a reward of money or other material advantage.

    When he was rejected as unsuitable, the court heard the Ekweremadus transferred their interest to Turkey and set about finding another donor.

    The Ekweremadus, who have an address in Willesden Green, north-west London, and Dr Obeta, from Southwark, south London, denied the charge against them.

  • Allege Organ Harvesting: AGAIN, Court Rejects Ekweremadu’s Bail Application

    Allege Organ Harvesting: AGAIN, Court Rejects Ekweremadu’s Bail Application

    The Central Criminal Court, London, also known as Old Bailey, has again denied bail to former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu.

    In the pre-trial hearing on Tuesday, the court gave its verdict denying the bail on the grounds that he was a flight risk.

    It was learned that the court cited the letter and assets forfeiture proceedings against the senator by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

    In the bail application, Ekweremadu’s lawyer had argued that the Nigerian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom and the Attorney-General of the Federal had written to the court that Ekweremadu was not a flight risk.

    His defense also argued that a guarantee to produce him should he pose a flight risk was given and that the Nigeria High Commission in the UK had equally given the option of tagging Ekweremadu electronically to monitor his movement.

    Referring to attestation of Ekweremadu’s character by respected Nigerians and organisations, his lawyer also argued that the lawmaker had proven to be a caring and responsible father and could not escape from London, abandoning his wife and sick daughter.

    The defense further told the court that they had sureties and securities of nearly half a million pounds sterling from 11 people to secure Ekweremadu’s release on bail.

    Stating that Ekweremadu was a highly regarded, well-known public figure, his defense also referred to Ekweremadu’s involvement in some global humanitarian courses.

    However, the prosecution insisted that Ekweremadu was a flight risk contending that as a holder of international passports from two other countries, the lawmaker could escape to any of the other countries asides from Nigeria.

    The prosecution also cited the 18th July 2022 letter by the EFCC signed on behalf of the Executive Chairman, Abdulraheed Bawa, by the Assistant Director Operations, Abdulkarim Chukkoi, and referred to the assets forfeiture proceedings against Ekweremadu in the Federal High Court, Abuja.

    Refusing the bail application, the Judge said, “I am entirely satisfied there remains a flight risk,” noting that bail would not make much difference “as the trial is just over a month away.”

    It was reported that Ekweremadu’s lawyer, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), claimed that the EFCC truncated Ekweremadu’s bail application in July.

    Amongst other things, Awomolu also accused the EFCC of dishonestly obtaining an interim assets forfeiture order against the lawmaker by withholding vital information from Justice Inyang Ekpo.

    However, the EFCC dismissed the allegations through its lawyer, Mr. Sylvanus Tahir (SAN), saying it was a mere coincidence.

    The trial of the Ekweremadus will now begin on 31st January 2023.

  • Organ Harvesting: Don’t Abandon Ekweremadu – Ohanaeze tells FG

    Organ Harvesting: Don’t Abandon Ekweremadu – Ohanaeze tells FG

    Apex socio-cultural Igbo group, Ohanaeze Ndigbo has asked the Federal Government to ensure the release of former deputy Senate president, Ike Ekweranmadu, who is facing trial for alleged organ harvesting in the United Kingdom.

    Ohanaeze made the appeal following a statement credited to the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, that the Federal Government will not interfere with any local or international legal battle involving Ekweranmadu.

    National Publicity Secretary of Ohanaeze, Dr. Alex Ogbonnia, in a statement obtained by The Sun, disagreed with Malami and pointed out that countries world over would always go for their citizens.

    Read the statement below…

    “Every dispassionate Nigerian knows that the practice of organ harvest has over the years become a Nigerian provenance and of course it is not viewed as unlawful so long as there is a mutual agreement between the parties involved.

    “It is in the context of cultural relativism and the premium placed on their citizens’ welfare and national pride that countries deploy their diplomatic weights and resources to ensure their citizens obtain justice and even reprieve in a foreign land, no matter the gravity of the offence.

    “Ohanaeze Ndigbo believes that Ekweremadu’s case should not be different, especially when Nigeria enjoys longstanding cordial relations with the UK, and all the individuals involved in the UK case are Nigerian nationals.

    “The Nigerian government and indeed all Nigerians should know that a measured indignity to Ike Ekweremadu, an illustrious Igbo and a serving senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is a sad denouement to Nigeria and indeed the entire Africa.

    “We urge the Federal Government led by President Muhammadu Buhari and Mr. Geffrey Onyeama, Minister of Foreign Affairs; Nigeria High Commission in the UK, the Senate and House of Representatives to burnish their diplomatic channels in ensuring that Ekweremadu and wife get the desired assistance by transferring the case to Nigeria,” Ohanaeze stated.

  • Organ Harvesting: Ike Ekweremadu Back To Custody As Court Adjourns Trial To Oct 31

    Organ Harvesting: Ike Ekweremadu Back To Custody As Court Adjourns Trial To Oct 31

    Former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, has returned to custody as his trial on alleged human trafficking and organ harvesting was adjourned to October 31.

    Ekweremadu first appeared before the Uxbridge magistrates’ court in London, United Kingdom, where he denied all the charges against him.

    Both the lawmaker and his wife were denied bail and remanded in custody while the case was adjourned to July 7 and later August 4, 2022.

    But in a new twist, Beatrice, Ekweremadu’s wife, was granted bail under strict conditions, following an application filed by the defendant counsel.

    The bail was granted on July 22, 2022. However, a similar bail application for Ekweremadu was denied by the court.

    For the record, at the last sitting, the court ruled that the victim in this case is no longer a minor, meanwhile only Ekweremadu is in custody while his wife had been granted bail.

    Adamu Bulkachuwa, Senate committee chairman on foreign affairs, was in court to show support for Ekweremadu.

  • Organ Harvesting: UK medical doctor docked for allegedly conniving with Ekweremadu

    Organ Harvesting: UK medical doctor docked for allegedly conniving with Ekweremadu

    A London-based medical doctor, Obinna Obeta has been docked for allegedly conniving with Ike Ekweremadu and his wife, Beatrice to facilitate the travel of Ukpo Nwamini David for kidney harvesting.

    Recall that the Metropolitan Police had on June 21 arrested the couple for allegedly planning to have David’s kidney removed for their daughter Sonia who was suffering from kidney failure.

    David who earlier claimed to be 15 years old, on 5 May 2022, presented himself at Staines Police Station alleging that he was transported to the UK by Ekweremadus for his kidney to be removed.

    On the other hand, Obeta was alleged to have conspired with the former Deputy Senate President to arrange or facilitate the travel of David with a view to exploiting him through organ harvesting.

    The 50-year-old medical doctor of Hillbeck Close, Southwark, southeast London had according to reports, appeared at Bexley Magistrates’ Court on 13 July.

    David who earlier claimed to be a minor had also confessed to the UK court that he is 21-year-old. Ekweremad and his wife are still in custody.

  • Sen. Ekweremadu Appears Before UK Court Over Organ Harvesting Charges

    Sen. Ekweremadu Appears Before UK Court Over Organ Harvesting Charges

    The former Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu appeared before Uxbridge Magistrates Court in London earlier today, facing charges under Britain’s Modern Slavery Act.

    Ekweremadu’s case, a source told Channels Television, was fast-tracked. He was in good shape, wore a grey tracksuit, and spoke twice during his appearance to confirm his name and date of birth.

    His wife Beatrice, who in her defence, asked the court to allow her to appear by his side because she has not seen him since the hearing last Thursday, was not granted such a request.

    The prosecutor claims that David Ukpo, who alleged that he was coerced to donate his kidney to the Senator’s daughter, is 15 years. According to court, David was allegedly picked up off the street in Lagos by a criminal gang some months ago with the intention of organ harvesting.

    Ekweremadu was remanded in custody as the court argued that he is an influential person, a flight risk and the case involves a child and modern slavery.

    The case has been adjourned to July 7 at Westminster Magistrate Court to enable the UK Attorney General, Suella Braverman, to determine whether the case will be tried in the country or Nigeria.

    A large delegation from the Nigeria High Commission was also present in the public gallery alongside the Senator’s two adult children.

    On Wednesday, the Senate had said it was sending a delegation to visit Ekweremadu and his wife.

    Senate President Ahmad Lawan said this after a closed-door session of the lawmakers in Abuja. He said members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs will be traveling to the UK soon.

    “There will be a delegation to London to see Senator Ike Ekweremadu and his wife. A delegation from the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs of the Senate will leave in the next two days for London for that purpose,” Lawan said.

    “I want to urge all federal government institutions that can do anything to ensure that justice prevails in this case, that they do so.”

    He also said the Nigerian High Commission has engaged the services of lawyers in the UK to defend Senator Ekweremadu.

    “I had a personal engagement with our Nigerian High Commissioner to Britain, Alhaji Isola Sarafa, who has done so well to establish contact with our colleague, who has been able to get his team to be in the court at Uxbridge where Ekweremadu was taken to,” Lawan added

    “The high Commission has also been able to provide some consular services that include the engagement of some lawyers who will defend our colleague.

    “We commend them for giving attention to the issue at stake. Equally, the Nigeria Foreign Affairs Minister has been engaged here, so that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs takes steps to provide diplomatic support for our colleague.

    “Because this issue is already in court, we have limited opportunity to discuss beyond what we have done so far.

    “But I want to ensure the family of our colleague, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, and Nigerians, that the Senate will continue to engage with our ministry of foreign affairs as well as our high commission in London. The High Commission has done so much but we still expect that it will continue to provide any other further consular services.”

  • Organ Harvesting: Immigration Boss Reveals Victim’s Real Age

    Organ Harvesting: Immigration Boss Reveals Victim’s Real Age

    The Comptroller-General of Nigeria Immigration Service, Isah Jere Idris, has affirmed that Mr. Ukpo Nwamini David, who is at the heart of the alleged organ harvesting saga involving former Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, is 22 years old.

    He added that the service adhered to due process in issuing the country’s ordinary passport to David.

    Speaking with selected journalists, Sunday, the Nigeria Immigration Service boss said David applied for the international passport using the service’s portal.

    Thereafter “he visited the Gwagwalada office of Immigration in Abuja with his birth certificate issued by the National Population Commission, National Identification Number (NIN) and a letter of indigineship from the Ebonyi State Liason office confirming he is from the state.”

    The Comptroller-General of Nigeria Immigration Service said all the available information provided by Ukpo Nwamini David showed that he was born on October 12, 2000.

    “The Nigerian Immigration service relies on information and documentation from other government agencies like National Population Commission and the National Identification Management Commission,” he added.

    He said the case of David was not an exception as the Immigration Service followed all the due process in issuing the international passport to him

    Isah Jere Idris, therefore, appealed to the public to know that as a Nigerian, David was validly issued a Nigerian international passport.

    Asked if the British Government or the National Assembly has contacted the Immigration office regarding the case of David, the Comptroller-General said nobody had contacted the service.

    Recall that Senator Ike Ekweremadu and his wife, Beatrice, were remanded in custody in London on Thursday, charged with plotting to have a 15-year-old boy taken into the United Kingdom to harvest his organs.