Tag: Talata-Mafara

  • Reveal school girls Abductors, ACF to Zamfara Governor

    Reveal school girls Abductors, ACF to Zamfara Governor

    By Gabriel Udeh,, Kaduna

    Zamfara State Governor, Bello Mutawalle has landed himself in trouble following aggressive renewed call by Northern Socio Cultural Organization, Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), to reveal the identity of the criminals behind the 317 abducted school girls or be quizzed by security agency.

    ACF which made the call Tuesday in Kaduna in a release sighed by it’s National Chairman Chief Audu Ogbe and made available to journalists, described Mutawalle remark as careless statements on a serious issues of kidnapping.

    Accordingly to ACF, the Governor was reported in the media to have told 17 Emirs who paid a sympathy visit to him on the kidnap of 317 school girls from Government Girls Secondary School Jangebe in Talata Mafara, “that he knew the identity of the kidnappers and that if he revealed their identity, Nigerians will be shocked.

    ACF stated that it’s “stunned by a statement accredited to the Zamfara Governor, Bello Mutawalle, that he knows the identity of the criminals.

    “We ask the governor to reveal their identity and let Nigerians be shocked or even the heavens fall”, it stated.

    The forum also stated that it’ll also asked the security agencies to question Governor Mutawallle to reveal the identity of the criminals if he refused to disclosed them.

    “We also ask the security agencies to question the governor on the identifies of the criminals he is trying to hide. If he refuses to disclose their identities, he must be treated as an accomplice to the criminal act of kidnapping”, it further stated.

    The forum also expressed displeasure that it has been embarrassed by the spate of kidnappings especially of school children spreading like wild fire all over the north.

    “People in positions of authority that will help us out of this mess like Governor Mutawalle must stop embarrassing the north and country with careless statements on a serious issue like the kidnappings of school children.
    “Zamfara State and the north are far away behind the rest of the country in educational development. The serial kidnappings of school pupils in the north will only worsen a bad and unacceptable state of education in the North”, ACF lamented.

  • Zamfara Police confirms 317 Girls Kidnapped

    Zamfara Police confirms 317 Girls Kidnapped

    Police in Zamfara has said that about three-hundred and seventeen (317) students were abducted from the Government Girls Science Secondary School Jangebe in Jangebe, Zamfara State.

    We had earlier reported that the school which is located within the Talata-Mafara local government area of the state came under siege by some bandits at past midnight.

    In reaction to the development, the Zamfara Police Commissioner, CP Abutu Yaro said a joint search and rescue operation is already underway with a view to rescuing the 317 students kidnapped by the marauders.

    CP Yaro said the Force Commander Operations Hadarin Daji, Major General Aminu Bande, Brigade Commander 1 Brigade, Nigeria Army Gusau, and other state government officials led a heavily armed Re-enforcement team to Jangebe to complement the ongoing rescue operation in the locations where the students were believed to have been whisked to.

    The Commissioner while interfacing with the Principal of the school and the parents appealed to everyone to be calm as joint efforts of the police and other security agencies will surely lead to a successful rescue of the students.

  • Security Operatives in pursuit of abductors of Zamfara schoolgirls

    Security Operatives in pursuit of abductors of Zamfara schoolgirls

    The Zamfara State Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Alhaji Abubakar Dauran, said security operatives and Vigilantes are in pursuit of the abductors of more than 300 Students of Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe in the Talata-Mafara Local Government Area of the state.

    He disclosed this while confirming the abduction in a brief interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Gusau on Friday.

    It was gathered that the abductors in their hundreds invaded the town and took away the students about 2 am.

    “I can confirm to you now that we have sadly received the report on the abduction of the students of GGSS Jangebe and right now, I am on my way to the school.

    “At this moment, l cannot say how many students were taken away by the gunmen until l get there, but we have already mobilized security men and members of the vigilantè who are now in pursuit of the abductors,” the commissioner stated.

    A staff of the school who spoke to NAN on condition of anonymity said, “The gunmen in their hundreds invaded the town around 2 am on Friday, shot sporadically in the air to scare the residents before coming into the school.

    “After taking away most of the students, we rounded up those that escaped or hid from the bandits and conducted a census where we counted 54 students and we are still searching to see if we can get more.”

    Also, a resident who gave his name as Haliru Jangebe said the local vigilantes had tried to repel the invaders but were overpowered.

    “The bandits were too many and they all seemed to be carrying heavy arms as we heard gunshots from all parts of the town and when the shots stopped, we heard that the students had been taken away.”