Tag: TCN

  • TCN Commends NSCDC for Arresting Three Suspected Vandals at Osogbo Transmission Substation

    TCN Commends NSCDC for Arresting Three Suspected Vandals at Osogbo Transmission Substation

    By Jabiru Hassan

    The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) has commended the Osun State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for arresting three suspected vandals at the Osogbo Transmission Substation.

    The suspects—Adigwe (52), Bomi (39), and Seyi (42)—were apprehended on November 1, 2025, while allegedly dismantling three 132kV DS contact isolators stored in a container designated for tools and materials at the facility.

    According to preliminary findings, the suspects had already dismantled five out of eighteen DS contact isolators before their arrest. They were found in possession of three of the vandalised components belonging to TCN.

    One of the suspects, Adigwe, reportedly confessed that he and his accomplices tampered with the equipment without authorisation or any valid permit from TCN.

    TCN noted that the incident comes just days after another case of vandalism on November 3, 2025, when local vigilantes in Upu Community, Otukpo Local Government Area of Benue State, apprehended five suspects caught vandalising the Otukpo–Yandev 132kV single-circuit transmission line.

    The company stated that all suspects will be prosecuted upon the conclusion of investigations in accordance with laws protecting critical national assets and infrastructure.

    TCN reiterated its call for collective vigilance in safeguarding power facilities across the country and urged the public to promptly report any suspicious activities around electricity installations to the nearest security agency or a TCN office.

  • TCN Begins Maintenance on Aja–Alagbon 330kV Transmission Line in Lagos

    TCN Begins Maintenance on Aja–Alagbon 330kV Transmission Line in Lagos

    By Jabiru Hassan

    The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) has announced that it will carry out scheduled maintenance on the Aja–Alagbon 330kV transmission line in Lagos from November 26 to 29, 2025. The work will take place daily between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.

    According to TCN, the maintenance exercise will enable contractors to install wave traps on the 330kV line bays at both the Aja and Alagbon Transmission Substations. The company said the installation is part of ongoing efforts to enhance grid reliability and improve transmission efficiency.

    During the four-day operation, electricity supply from the Alagbon Substation will be diverted to the Ijora 132kV line. Similarly, supply to the Akoka and Oworo Transmission Substations will be routed through the Ikeja West 132kV line.

    TCN stated that these diversions will result in temporary load reductions and brief supply disruptions within the affected areas during the maintenance window. The company assured consumers that the interruption is necessary to ensure long-term network stability.

    The statement added that TCN regrets any inconvenience experienced by electricity customers within the Eko Disco franchise and appealed for public understanding. It emphasized that the maintenance is part of broader upgrades designed to strengthen Lagos State’s transmission infrastructure.

  • FG to add 817 Megawatts to National Grid – TCN

    FG to add 817 Megawatts to National Grid – TCN

    The federal government says plans are ongoing to add additional 817 Megawatts (MWs) of electricity to the national grid to boost power supply within the FCT and its  environs.

    Sule Abdulaziz, the Managing Director of Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), said this in Abuja while inspecting ongoing projects in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on Wednesday.

    Mr Abdulaziz said that the project which belonged to TCN and referred to as the Abuja Feeding Scheme, was being funded by the French Development Agency (AFD), a donor agency.

    He said when completed, it would contribute an additional 1.465 transmission lines to the grid, thereby, upgrading and reinforcing electrical power supply to the FCT.

    “With the additional lines, TCN capacity of transmission lines will be higher than what is in existence and this means that in future, we can build some sub-stations without upgrading the lines,” he said.

    According to him, the project will add five transmission substations, 143 kilometers of 330 Kilo Volts (KVs) and 81 kilometers of 132 KV transmission lines to Abuja.

    “This is part of efforts to increase transmission wheeling capacity in the FCT and environs.

    “The project is categorised into six lots and is far advanced in execution above 85 per cent in total completion by December,” he said.

    The managing director said that the project was designed by the current administration to ensure that in the next 50 years, there would be no need for other substations in the FCT.

    “This will be adequate and it will serve the population of Abuja,” he said.

    “The government while making plans for the project has in mind that if the population of FCT increases within five to 10 years, there is a master plan that the station will serve the territory in the next 50 years.

    “Construction of a complete new 2x60MVA, 132/33 KV substation with 132KV line Bays at Wumba/Lokogoma including about 5km 132 underground XLPE Cable from New Apo Sub Station are ongoing,” he said.

    Others are construction of a 2x150MVA 330/132/33KV substation at New Apo where the managing director frowns at the slow pace of work done by the contractor .

    According to him, the contractor, General Electric, has performed abysmally.

    He said the contracts for all the substations were signed at the same time, and wondered why the slow pace of work.

    “We have spent a lot of money to clear their containers which entered demurrage and this money is not part of AFD grant but TCN Internally Generated Revenue which could have been used for other projects.

    “We are going to push them to finish the project on time,” he said.

    Sites visited include: construction of complete new 2x60Mega Volt Ampere, and 132/33KV Gas Insulated Switchgear (GIS) Substation at Gwarimpa.

    Others were the Kuje 132Kv Transmission line, the 3x60MVA, 132/33kv and 4x132kv Line bay GIS, and 33KV Metal Clad Swichgear at West Main Lugbe, Substation

  • TCN Restores National Grid Hours After Collapse

    TCN Restores National Grid Hours After Collapse

    The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) says the national grid, which collapsed earlier on Monday, has been restored. 

    “The restoration of the affected part of the grid commenced immediately at 11.55 am with Osogbo/Ihovbor back to the grid followed by Jebba/Osogbo, Kainji/Jebba, Benin/Onisha, Shiroro/Kaduna, Shiroro/Katampe, and Alaoji/Ikot-Ekpene,” it said in a statement on Monday.

    “Others are Lokoja/Gwagwalada, Odukpani/Ikot Ekpene, Benin/Omotosho, Oke-Aro/Ikeja west, Egbin/Oke-Aro and Kaduna/Kano.”

    While explaining the cause of the incident, the TCN said it was due to “a sudden drop in system frequency, which created system instability”.

    “The National Control Centre (NCC) said a full-scale investigation is being conducted to establish and ascertain the cause of the partial disturbance as this unwholesome event has resulted in aggregated generation loss,” TCN’s General Manager, Public Affairs, Ndidi Mbah, said in the statement.

    Earlier in the day, electricity distribution companies had informed their customers of the disruption of power, citing the collapse of the national grid.

    Ikeja Electric said the national grid collapsed at 10:50 am on Monday, noting that “this has affected the transmission stations within our network and resulted in the loss of power supply to our customers”.

    The DISCOs equally apologised to them, saying work was being done to fix the issue.

    “We are working with our TCN partners to restore supply as soon as possible,” Eko Electricity Distribution Company also said. “We apologise for the inconvenience.”

    Monday’s incident is the latest in a series of blackouts in the country owing to the incessant collapse of the national grid.

    The national grid had collapsed eight times this year with the last one coming in July. It equally collapsed in June, March, and April 2022.

  • TCN Restores National Grid After System Disturbance

    TCN Restores National Grid After System Disturbance

    The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) says the restoration of the national grid has been completed following its collapse on Wednesday.

    TCN in a statement by its General Manager, Ndidi Mbah, said the national grid experienced system disturbance at about 11.27am on Wednesday, 20th, July 2022, adding that the incident was a result of sudden drop in system frequency from 49.94Hz to 47.36Hz, which created system instability.

    According to reports obtained from the National Control Centre (NCC), it was precipitated by the tripping of a Unit (with a load of 106 MW) in one of the generating stations due to “Exhaust over Temperature”.

    Ms Mbah said this unwholesome event, which pulled out other grid-connected Units in the plant, resulted in aggregated generation loss of 457MW. In its wake, a train of events ensued – culminating in the collapse of the national grid.

    She further noted that “as obtainable in all systems, when a component of the electric power system is defective, the entire configuration is vitiated. However, inspite of setbacks encountered at the initial stage, grid restoration had almost been completed as at 11:00pm when this report was filed.”

    While appreciating the kind understanding of Government and consumers of electricity within and outside the country, the GM said the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry is committed to leveraging the concerted interventions instituted thus far to enhance power supply reliability so that the issue of system collapse will soon become a thing of the past.

    Meanwhile, Ms Mbah asserted that a full-scale investigation is being conducted to establish the cause of this failure.

  • Blackout in Lagos cities will continue for four weeks – TCN

    Blackout in Lagos cities will continue for four weeks – TCN

    The Nigerian Export Promotion Council has organised a workshop for over 60 operators of Small and Medium-scale Enterprises in Osun State on how to make their products fit for export.

    The workshop, which was held in Osogbo, was tagged ‘Facilitating strategic export market access programme in collaboration with the trade support institutions.’

    The Assistant Director, Policy and Strategy Department, NEPC, Aliu Saddique, said the participants were SMEs owners with the potential to export to the international market.

    He said the council was using the model developed by the Centre for the Promotion of Imports from Developing Countries to train the participants so as to enable them to have a good understanding of the demands of the international market.

    The Osun State Commissioner for Commerce, Cooperatives, Industries and Empowerment, Dr Bode Olaonipekun, called for serious planning ahead of the time when crude oil would no longer bring revenue for the country again.

  • Kaduna Thrown into Thick Darkness as NLC Begins Strike

    Kaduna Thrown into Thick Darkness as NLC Begins Strike

    The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) yesterday confirmed the shutting down of its operations in Kaduna state, throwing the north central state into total darkness.

    The federal government-owned company noted that it was compelled to comply with the warning strike action called by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) after an analysis of apparent threats to its power assets in the state.

    A statement by the General Manager, Public Affairs of the company, Mrs Ndidi Mbah, made available in Abuja yesterday, while apologising for the blackout, noted that the TCN had turned down earlier demands for a shutdown, but noted that it later caved in to protect its assets from being compromised which will affect nationwide power supply.

    Earlier, aviation workers had declared withdrawal of services from the Kaduna International Airport (KIA) effective Sunday midnight in solidarity with the striking workers.

    The workers, under the aegis of the National Union of Air Transport Employees (NUATE), Association of Nigeria Aviation Professionals (ANAP) and National Association of Aircraft Pilots and Engineers (NAAPE), said the airport would remain shut for the period of the warning strike.

    The NLC, Kaduna State Council, recently declared a five-day warning strike starting from midnight of yesterday, May 16, 2021, to protest the sack of over 4,000 workers by the state government.

    Chairman of the labour union in the state, Ayuba Suleiman, maintained that due process was not observed in the disengagement of the workers from the local government service, State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) and the primary health care agency.

    On the implication of the shutdown, TCN stated that the action caused by the ongoing industrial action resulted in the interruption of bulk electricity supply within the state early in the morning.

    “TCN had resisted intense pressure from the union yesterday, demanding that all 33kV feeders radiating from our substations within Kaduna State be switched off. Regrettably, the union’s functionaries returned today (Sunday) with similar demands amid palpable threats that could escalate and jeopardise national grid security.

    “It was during this (yesterday) morning’s encounter that the System Operators (SOs) were forced to shut down the 33kV feeders from 6:36 hours this morning. Before this, Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company (KEDC) had earlier shut down its 11kV feeders, which it started de-loading from 3 am this morning,” the company stated.

    The statement stressed that the power wheeling company was mindful of the inconveniences the situation would cause electricity customers within the state and prayed for a peaceful resolution between the disputing parties.

    It noted that once the issues are resolved and it is safe to reopen, bulk power supply will be restored to its substations for Kaduna Disco to take to its electricity customers and asked those affected to bear with the TCN.

  • Power Restored To National Grid After System Collapse – TCN

    Power Restored To National Grid After System Collapse – TCN

    Power has been restored to all the 330kv transmission stations across the entire grid, the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) said on Thursday.

    The company disclosed in a statement that electricity was restored to the transmission stations at about 5:54pm on Wednesday.

    “The Kainji – Birnin Kebbi line, however, tripped on fault but was restored,” the statement read.

    It added, “TCN’s 330kV substations feed 132kV substations, through which distribution companies offtake electricity they deliver to electricity consumers nationwide.”

    Power was restored to the transmission stations a day after TCN announced that the nation’s electricity grid had suffered a system collapse, leading to a power outage in various parts of the country.

    But the company’s General Manager (Public Affairs), Ndidi Mbah, had noted that experts were already making effort to fully restore electricity on the grid.

    According to her, a total system collapse of the grid was recorded at about 11:01am on Tuesday, as a result of voltage collapse at some parts of the grid.

    A file photo of the Minister of Power, Sale Mamman, at his office in Abuja. Photo: Twitter- @EngrSMamman

    A few minutes later after the collapse, TCN commenced grid recovery from Shiroro Generating Station to Katampe TS, Abuja through the Shiroro – Katampe line, as well as through the Delta Generating Station to Benin Transmission Substation.

    Last week, the Federal Government approved about N6.2 billion for the award of contracts for six projects in the power sector at the 44th virtual meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC).

    The Minister of Power, Mamman Saleh, presented six memos at the FEC meeting which focused on efforts by the government to boost power supply in the country.

    The approvals included the award of a contract for the design, manufacture, and supply of critical spare parts for Crompton Greaves 330KV, 132KV, and 33KV circuit breakers at N298,339,887.04; and procurement of 50 sets of 400AH battery banks – 30 to 50 volts, and 30 number of 110 volts battery charges for the substation used by the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) at N644,805,953.10, among others.

  • Reps begin probe of alleged illegal sack of NSITF, MBET, TCN managements

    Reps begin probe of alleged illegal sack of NSITF, MBET, TCN managements

    The House of Representatives has begun investigations into the alleged illegal removal of managements of three federal agencies by the Minister of Labour, Mr Chris Ngige and the Minister of Power, Mr Sale Mamman.

    The affected agencies are Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF) Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading (NBET) and Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN)

    The investigation which began on Monday in Abuja was organised by an ad hoc committee of the house chaired by Rep. Miriam Onuoha (APC-Imo)

    Onuoha recalled that the house had on July, 17 deliberated a motion of urgent public importance and resolved to investigate the alleged procedural breach by the ministers.

    She said that the house resolved to investigate the alleged breach of procurement procedures and financial malpractice and malfeasance in the agencies and report back in one week.

    “Our Committee began work immediately and reached out to all concerned in the matter with a call for memoranda.

    “About 95 per cent of all actors involved have made their written submissions; I must commend your prompt response to our letters.

    “Without preempting the outcome of this investigative hearing, the committee wishes to extend to all the parties the benefit of the principle of fair hearing.

    “I wish to remind us that this committee is not out to witch-hunt anybody, but play our legislative duties; please note that we will be just and fair to all concerned in this matter,”she said.

    The hearing continues on July 21 enable all affected parties speak on document already presented to the committee, including the ministers.(NAN)