x

Wike Approves N12bn January Salaries of FCTA Workers Amid Strike

… Enumerates Key Reforms
Under Administration

By Joyce Remi-Babayeju

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, on Tuesday after the Court order on suspension of strike by FCTA workers disclosed that he has signed over 12 billion Naira January salaries of the workers amid strike.

Wike made this known on Tuesday when he addressed newsmen in his office immediately after the Industrial Court order to suspend the strike.

The minister stated that inspite of the ongoing strike a large amount of the workers legitimate demands had been met.

He explained that the administration had to seek legal intervention to avoid a. breakdown of order because the strike had been hijacked for political interest.

“I just signed January salaries amounting to over ₦12 billion,” Wike said.

“Yet the FCT is entitled to only one per cent of federal revenue. If the Federal Government earns ₦1 trillion, the FCT gets about ₦10 billion. That allocation alone cannot even cover salaries, not to talk of running the administration.”

According to him, the government had initially wanted dialogue and engagement when the strike began, and not to rush to court.

“When the strike started, we believed in dialogue. We felt the issues could be resolved through discussion. But when it became clear that politicians have hijacked the strike, we had no choice but to go to court and allow the law to decide,” the minister stated.

The minister noted that there is workers’ rights in a democracy, adding that strike action should always be a last resort.

“This is a democracy. Everyone has the right to protest. But if workers made 14 demands and government addressed like 10, there should be room for understanding and patience,” he said.

Speaking from his experience as a former governor and local government chairman, the minister said that he understood labour struggles but warned against asking for unrealistic demands.

“When demands are legitimate, government should acknowledge them. But it is not always possible to implement everything at once. Government does not deny legitimate entitlements, especially wages,” he added.

On claims that he was out of office during the strike, Wike dismissed such reports as false and politically motivated.

“I was in my office, went to the airport to see Mr President, travelled to Turkey, and returned. These stories are deliberate misinformation,” he said.

Referring to revenue challenges in the FCT, the minister revealed that the administration has significantly improved Internally Generated Revenue (IGR), has increased from about ₦9 billion when he assumed office to ₦30 billion.

“When we take steps to improve IGR, people complain. But that progress is what sustains salaries, reforms, and development,” he said.

Furthermore, the minister mentioned major reforms under the current administration, such as the creation of the FCT Civil Service Commission, appointment of permanent secretaries, and establishment of the Office of the Head of Service.

“Before now, workers retired at director level, but they can now rise to Permanent Secretary. This was made possible by the Government of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.”

“You cannot expect government to spend all available revenue on wages alone while neglecting massive infrastructure development,” Wike wondered.

Meanwhile, the minister had given stern warning to workers who may want to defy the court order suspending the strike.

He said, “Disobeying the law has consequences. From tomorrow, any worker who refuses to resume work will face disciplinary action. Anyone who attempts to block government facilities will face the full weight of the law.”

Claims that dialogue had broken down, is not true because engagement with unions has always been ongoing with my approval, he said.

The minister finally started that the administration will not succumb to any form of political games or blackmail.

“No amount of blackmail or political games will intimidate this administration. We will obey the court, and everyone else must do the same,” Wike reaffirmed.

Hot this week

FCTA, Firm Sign Pact to Turn Jabi Lake into Abuja’s Recreation Hub

… Warns Land Speculators to Stop Hoarding LandBy Joyce...

NYA: A Platform for Young Nigerians to Defend Democracy – Youth President

By Jabiru HassanThe (NYA) has reaffirmed its commitment to...

Nnamdi Kanu: ‘Very Useless Guy’ – Chiefpriest Blasts Fayose Over Comment on Igbos’ Alliance With Tinubu

Nigerian socialite, Okechukwu Pascal, popularly known as Chiefpriest, has...

Chinese Embassy Rejects Allegations of Illegal Mining, Terror Financing in Nigeria

The Chinese Embassy in Nigeria has strongly refuted allegations...

Tems Becomes First African Female Artist with Seven Billboard Hot 100 Entries

Grammy-winning Nigerian singer Tems has made history as the...

Kaduna Governor Restores State-Sponsored Christian Pilgrimage After 11-Year Suspension

Christian leaders and intending pilgrims in Kaduna State have...

TCN MD Urges Unified HR Policy Implementation Across 10 Regions

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the...

Oborevwori Inspects Ugbolu–Okpanam, Oko Road Projects, Demands Quality and Timely Completion

Delta State Governor, Rt. Hon. Sheriff Oborevwori, has reaffirmed...

Tuomo Clan Gets Western Zone Backing for INC 1st Vice President Slot

Chief Ezonebi Oyakemeagbegha, outgoing Publicity Secretary of the Ijaw...

Igoche Mark Hails Tinubu’s Sports Reforms, Urges Private Sector Investment

Basketball promoter and founder of the Mark D’ Ball...

TSG DG Welcomes Gov Yusuf to APC, Backs Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda

The Director-General of the Tinubu Support Groups (TSG), Dr....

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img