By Israel Adamu, Jos
The Federal Government has launched a full-scale investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community, Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalized.
The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, , represented by Permanent Secretary Faruk Yahaya Yabo, led a federal delegation to the site on Thursday.
The delegation included directors from Mines Compliance, Inspectorate, and Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, alongside officials of the Plateau State Government.
The tragedy reportedly occurred in the early hours of Wednesday and is suspected to have been caused by carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions, although authorities say investigations are ongoing to determine the exact cause.
Speaking at the site, Alake described the incident as devastating and extended condolences to the bereaved families.
“It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission,” he said.
The minister noted that preliminary reports pointed to the possible presence of toxic gases but emphasized that this had yet to be scientifically confirmed. He expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders bear responsibility for ensuring safety compliance.
He also disclosed that early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations and the presence of illegal mining activities in the area. He assured that a thorough investigation would be conducted to establish responsibility and prevent a recurrence.
Assistant Commandant of Corps Attah John Onoja, National Commander of Mining Marshals under the (NSCDC), said the incident reinforces federal efforts to clamp down on illegal mining. He assured that findings of the investigation would be enforced and called for greater inter-agency collaboration to ensure safer mining operations.
Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, noted that mining falls under the exclusive legislative list but advocated stricter enforcement of the Mining Act 2007. He said the state government is prepared to collaborate with federal authorities to improve safety standards.
Gwom emphasized that Plateau’s mineral resources should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organizing miners into cooperatives and providing training, safety equipment, and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.
“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.
Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Hon. Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area. She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and referenced the governor’s earlier suspension of illegal mining activities to enhance safety and compliance.
Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hon. Hamis Anani, commended both federal and state authorities for their swift response.
Receiving the delegation on behalf of affected families, traditional ruler Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian toll, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless. He appealed for government intervention, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security, and safer mining operations in the community.
Authorities say investigations are ongoing, with findings expected to guide further regulatory and safety measures in Nigeria’s mining sector.



