x

Expert: Financial opening-up, reforms to move forward despite trade war

By Wang Jiamei in Shanghai and Shen Weiduo in Beijing

 

Chinese securities regulators launched on Thursday a NASDAQ-style sci-tech innovation board, a breakthrough that experts said is aimed at promoting the country’s technological power and supporting efforts by domestic companies in research and innovation amid the US suppression of China’s technological development.

 

The timely launch also highlights China’s resolve to further develop and invest in core technologies – a sign that its technological strength will not be shaken by the ongoing US-China trade war, expert noted.

 

The new board is known by its English name – STAR Market – in the hope that it will become a rising star in the country’s financial markets. The STAR Market will try a registration-based IPO system and will allow companies that have yet to make a profit to get listed, as in the case of NASDAQ.

 

To show the importance the central government attaches to the new tech board, Vice Premier Liu He attended the launch on Thursday morning at the Lujiazui Forum in Shanghai, with Yi Huiman, chairman of the China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC), Secretary of the Shanghai Municipal Committee of the Communist Party of China Li Qiang and Shanghai Mayor Ying Yong.

 

In his keynote speech, Liu stressed that the two priorities for the new board are registration-based IPO reform, with information disclosure at its center, and enhancing the rule of law by raising penalties for violations and strengthening supervision and law enforcement.

 

Yi cited two reasons for the launch of the STAR Market and the piloted registration-based listing system.

 

The first is to support the development and growth of science and technology companies with development potential and high market acceptance. The second is to use the board as a test for reforms. The securities regulator will implement pilot reforms in issuance and listing, sponsorship underwriting, market-based pricing, trading and delisting, and will pass on the experience to other boards.

 

Yi also announced plans for a series of reforms, including revisions to Qualified Foreign Institutional Investors (QFII) and Renminbi Qualified Foreign Institutional Investors (RQFII) rules, opening-up of the futures market, opening-up of the exchange bond market, and the issuance of yuan-denominated bonds, namely “panda bonds” by overseas institutions. Huang Hongyuan, chairman of the Shanghai Stock Exchange, told the forum on Thursday that so far, 122 companies have applied for listing on the board, which is expected to see the first batch of companies in the next two months.

 

 

Observers have stressed many times that China will not slow down on development and opening-up amid the trade war.

 

“It’s time to further open China’s capital market, and the opening-up will be made notwithstanding a trade war with the US,” said Dong Dengxin, director of the Finance and Securities Institute at Wuhan University of Science and Technology.

 

“The new board also marks an important move for the country’s capital market, as the establishment of some rules such as IPO standards and reviews are based on the NASDAQ,” Dong said.

 

Because the new board was established to rival the NASDAQ, once the domestic firms’ listing requirements are fulfilled, it will also welcome more foreign participation in the future, which is in line with the country’s financial opening-up efforts, Dong said.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

Police Rescue Kidnapped Israeli Engineer in Taraba

The Taraba State Police Command, in collaboration with the...

PDP Chieftain Calls for EFCC Probe into Ebonyi Contract Racketeering

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in...

BREAKING: Kevin De Bruyne Confirms Manchester City Departure

Kevin De Bruyne has officially announced that he will...

Wike dismisses rumours of collapse, says its a political gimmick to divert attention

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe FCT Minister, Barr. Nysome Wike on...

Ijoba Lande Reveals Payment After a Month on Set with Funke Akindele

Controversial Nollywood actor and comedian, Ijoba Lande, has shared...

Protesters Demand Suspension of FUOYE VC Over Alleged Sexual Harassment

Protesters gathered at the Federal Ministry of Education in...

Six Nigerians Among 0.8% of World’s Black Billionaires – Forbes

Black billionaires remain a small fraction of the world’s...

JUST-IN: Court Stops Pro-Wike Rally In Bayelsa

A Bayelsa State High Court in Yenagoa has issued...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img