News
Abducted Oyo principal urges Tinubu, Makinde to negotiate with kidnappers
By Abigail David
The abducted principal of Community Grammar School, Esiele, Alamu Folawe, has appealed to Bola Tinubu and Seyi Makinde to negotiate with her captors rather than use force to secure the release of victims abducted in Oriire Local Government Area.
In a video shared online on Friday, the visibly distressed principal said she and other abductees, including children, had spent 13 days in the bush under harsh weather conditions since the attack.
According to her, the victims had been exposed to rain, cold and intense heat while in captivity, as she pleaded with authorities not to allow the kidnappers harm them.
Folawe also appealed to the Nigeria Union of Teachers and the Christian Association of Nigeria to intervene, warning that attempts to rescue them through force had worsened their situation.
She claimed that a recent security operation angered the abductors and allegedly placed the life of one of the captives at greater risk.
The appeal comes nearly two weeks after gunmen attacked Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yamota, and L.A. Primary School, Alawusa, abducting seven teachers and 39 pupils on May 15.
During the attack, mathematics teacher Michael Oyedokun was killed, while a motorcyclist and a security operative also lost their lives during rescue attempts.
Sources said the abductors later opened communication channels with the Oyo State Government and insisted they would negotiate only with the governor rather than the victims’ families.
Governor Makinde had earlier assured residents that his administration was working round the clock to secure the release of the abducted victims.
Meanwhile, the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, announced the deployment of additional detectives from Abuja to support ongoing rescue operations, while the Defence Headquarters said troops had established contact with the abductors.
News
DSS Trails, Nabs Man Impersonating Personnel in Abuja

*Arrested in tactical uniform, with fake pistol, allegedly extorting motorists
The Department of State Services (DSS) late on Wednesday in Abuja arrested a man identified as Moferewa Maiye, discovered to be impersonating a personnel of the Service.
Maiye, who claimed to hail from Agbajojun Village, Mopamuro Local Government Area of Kogi State, was trailed and arrested by DSS officers in his hideout around the NITEL Junction, along Adetokunbo Ademola Way, Wuse II, Abuja.
At the time of his arrest, Maiye was in DSS tactical uniform and armed with a fake pistol.
According to a security source, the Secret police acted on credible intelligence that Maiye was using the uniform and the fake weapon to intimidate commuters and motorists, extorting money from them.
During interrogation, added the source, the suspect reportedly claimed that his brother was a DSS personnel who died years ago.
He identified the brother as Monday Maiye, stressing that the DSS kit in his possession was his late brother’s.
The suspect is currently being interrogated as security operatives, the source stated, adding that the Service was investigating how he came about the DSS uniform and kit.
“Investigators are also trying to establish how long the suspect has been involved in similar acts of impersonation and extortion.
“The arrest underscores growing concerns by the Service over the activities of individuals who impersonate security personnel to intimidate members of the public and commit criminality,” the source declared.
News
24 Bandits Killed As Army, DSS, Vigilantes Foil Mass Kidnap in Katsina Community, Rescue Victims

At least 24 bandits were killed on Tuesday after soldiers of the Nigerian Army, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS), Katsina Community Watch Corps foiled an attempt to mass-kidnap persons in Gidan Bawa village, Kandarawa Ward, Bakori Local Government Area of the state.
According to a security source, the operation followed sustained intelligence which uncovered plans by about 40 gunmen loyal to notorious bandit kingpin, Isiya Kwashen Garwa, to invade the village and abduct many residents, especially women and children.
The plot, sources said, was intended to replicate the mass abduction of residents of Woro community in Kwara State, ostensibly to embarrass the government.
Acting swiftly on the intelligence, DSS operatives mobilised the Community Watch Corps, and the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) from Guga camp, and ambushed the bandits.
The source disclosed that the joint security operatives neutralised 24 bandits and rescued the abducted villagers.
Security operatives also recovered 19 stolen cattle from the community during the raid.
The source added that there were ongoing efforts to track down the fleeing bandits.
News
KADSG Faults ADC Guber Candidate’s Criticism, Defends Sani’s Education Funding Records
…Says 25% of budget spent on education in three years
…Says Ashiru needs lesson in education funding
By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna
The Kaduna State Government has faulted African Democratic Congress (ADC) governorship candidate Alhaji Isa Mohammed Ashiru over his criticism of Governor Uba Sani’s commitment to education, insisting the state has consistently surpassed global funding benchmarks.
Commissioner for Information and Culture, Malam Ahmed Maiyaki, said in a statement on Wednesday that while Ashiru is entitled to criticise, his claims on education funding were inaccurate.
“Mr. Ashiru is entitled to criticise the government. But when an aspirant to the highest office in the state gets basic facts about education funding wrongly, a little lesson becomes necessary,” he said.
Maiyaki faulted Ashiru’s claim that UNESCO recommends 15 to 20 per cent budgetary allocation to education. He explained that the Education 2030 Framework for Action recommends at least 4 to 6 per cent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) or 25 per cent of total public expenditure.
According to the commissioner, Kaduna State allocated 25 per cent of its budget to education in 2024, 26.14 per cent in 2025, and another 25 per cent of its N985.9 billion 2026 budget, amounting to about N246.5 billion.
“For three consecutive years, therefore, Governor Uba Sani has committed about one-quarter of Kaduna State’s annual budget to education,” Maiyaki disclosed.
Investment yields results
The commissioner said the investment has yielded results across basic, tertiary and skills education. He noted that the National Board for Technical Education recognised the three Skills Development and Vocational Training Centres established by the governor as the best-equipped in Nigeria.
Maiyaki added that out-of-school children in the state dropped from over 550,000 to 187,719 within three years through enrolment drives and infrastructure upgrades. “The Federal Government has also drawn from the Kaduna model” for national interventions, he said.
KASU interventions
On Kaduna State University (KASU), Maiyaki listed interventions including over N800 million for staff welfare, N146 million for withheld salaries and SIWES obligations, and a N50 million monthly standing intervention.
The government also provided more than N200 million in overhead support in 2026 alone, and over N300 million for accreditation of 57 academic programmes and resource verification for 60 postgraduate programmes. These, he said, led to full accreditation of seven professional programmes and the university’s Digital Learning Centre.
Maiyaki further disclosed that more than N1.6 billion has been committed to scholarships and student support, alongside a 50 per cent reduction in tuition fees across state-owned tertiary institutions.
“These interventions are hardly the actions of a government that is ‘lukewarm’ towards education,” the statement added.
Challenge on professor resignations
On allegations that about 200 professors resigned from KASU due to poor conditions, the commissioner challenged critics to provide names, dates and reasons.
“Repetition does not turn an unverified allegation into fact,” he said.
Maiyaki also acknowledged ASUU-KASU’s role in advocating for members and said the administration remains committed to constructive engagement. However, he noted that domesticating Federal Government-ASUU agreements in state universities requires “serious legal, financial and institutional consideration, not political grandstanding.”
-
News14 hours agoBUDGET OFFICE OF THE FEDERATIONRESPONSE TO THE 2026 U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE FISCAL TRANSPARENCY REPORT ON NIGERIA
-
News16 hours agoBeyond the ECOWAS–AES Divide: Rethinking Regional Cooperation, Peace and Security in West Africa
-
Crime13 hours agoNDLEA Arrests Alleged Cocaine Trafficking Kingpin at Lagos Airport
-
News17 hours agoTinubu Committed to Transforming Nigeria’s Electricity Sector, Says Power Minister
-
News17 hours agoMangu Killings: ADC Governorship Candidate Calls for Immediate Security Action
-
News16 hours agoTinubu Urges Politicians to Avoid Divisive Politics Ahead of 2027 Elections
-
News17 hours agoDelta to Train 1,000 Youths in Agribusiness to Boost Agriculture
-
News17 hours ago24 Killed, Three Injured in Fresh Attack on Plateau Community

You must be logged in to post a comment Login