Politics
ADC Governorship Aspirant Akpanudoedehe Denies Selling Out, Vows to Defeat Gov Eno in 2027

By Ogenyi Ogenyi | Uyo
Governorship aspirant of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) in Akwa Ibom State, Senator John AkpanUdoedehe, has dismissed allegations that he previously compromised his governorship ambition for political gain, insisting that such claims are false and politically motivated.
AkpanUdoedehe, a former National Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and former Minister of State for the Federal Capital Territory, also declared his intention to contest the 2027 governorship election, vowing to unseat Governor Umo Eno.
Speaking with journalists in Uyo on Thursday, the ADC chieftain said those spreading rumours of him “selling out” were engaged in blackmail and were intimidated by his political influence.
“Selling my election chances in the past to my opponent would have amounted to empowering my enemy, and I cannot do it,” he said.
He added that individuals making such claims were “sycophants and blackmailers,” accusing them of endorsing political figures outside their constituencies for selfish reasons.
AkpanUdoedehe urged his supporters to ignore the allegations and remain committed to his political vision ahead of 2027.
“Let me tell my supporters not to mind them. They should continue to trust me, believing that I will turn things around for the betterment of my people come 2027,” he said.
The former APC chieftain also expressed concern over what he described as widespread poverty in Akwa Ibom State despite significant revenue inflows from the Federation Account.
He pledged to prioritise poverty reduction, youth employment, infrastructure development and human capital growth if elected governor, accusing the current administration of neglecting the welfare of citizens.
“I am coming to salvage Akwa Ibom people from poverty, inequality and development deficit,” he said.
Explaining his exit from the APC, AkpanUdoedehe said he left after discovering that some party leaders had conspired against him.
“I only left APC as National Secretary when I discovered that they ganged up against me. Though they may regroup, I don’t care, but my concern is unemployment and underdevelopment in Akwa Ibom State,” he said.
He urged voters to give him a chance in the next election, insisting that enlightenment would ultimately influence electoral choices in his favour.
“No matter the sentiments, I want Akwa Ibom people to try me in office as their governor,” he said.
On the strength of the ADC in the state, he recalled his role in building earlier political structures such as the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) and the APC, saying the party had grown into a strong political platform over time.
AkpanUdoedehe described his ambition as driven by service, not personal gain, adding that he would run a transparent and unbiased administration if elected.
“My administration would be the best progressive government ever in the history of Akwa Ibom. I am not coming to contest this election so that I can collect money from anybody,” he said.
He also dismissed claims describing him as a former motor park chairman, calling the allegation false and an attempt to ridicule him.
“I have never been the chairman of a motor park. If I were, I would be the first person to thank God for lifting me from grass to grace,” he added.
Politics
Kwankwaso explains decision to run with Obi in 2027
By Abigail David
Former Kano State governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso, has explained his decision to run on the same presidential ticket with Peter Obi ahead of the 2027 general elections, saying their partnership is driven by the need for a different approach to governance.
Kwankwaso, who is seeking the vice-presidential ticket alongside Obi on the platform of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, stated this in a statement released on Thursday as political activities for the 2027 elections intensify.
He said Nigeria had reached a critical point, citing rising food costs, unemployment, high business operating costs and insecurity as major challenges confronting citizens.
“As the 2027 presidential campaign officially begins, I call on every Nigerian to reflect deeply on the state of our nation and the kind of country we want to leave for the next generation,” he said.
Kwankwaso said insecurity had continued to threaten communities, with terrorism, banditry, kidnapping and other forms of violence affecting families and livelihoods. He added that farmers needed adequate security to return to their farms, while children required safe schools and Nigerians deserved to live without fear.
“Our farmers need security to return to their farms, our children need safe schools, and every Nigerian deserves to live without fear,” he said.
Beyond the economy and security, the former governor identified education, healthcare, infrastructure and institutional reform as areas requiring urgent government attention.
“Our education and healthcare systems require urgent investment. Our infrastructure must be improved, our institutions strengthened, and public resources managed with greater transparency and accountability,” he said.
Explaining his decision to work with Obi, Kwankwaso said the partnership was not based on regional, religious or personal considerations but on a shared vision for the country.
“This is why I have chosen to work with His Excellency, Peter Obi, on the Obi-Kwankwaso ticket. Our partnership is not about region, religion or personal ambition. It is about Nigeria,” he said.
He said the proposed partnership was focused on accountable governance, economic opportunity and inclusiveness. He also urged Nigerians, particularly young people, women, workers, farmers, entrepreneurs and professionals, to participate actively in the political process.
Kwankwaso called for issue-based campaigns, urging politicians and supporters to avoid divisive politics and demand accountability and competence from public office holders.
“Let us move beyond politics of division and focus on the issues that affect our daily lives. Let us demand accountability, competence and results from those entrusted with public office,” he said.
He described the 2027 election as an opportunity for Nigerians to determine the country’s future direction and urged supporters of the Obi-Kwankwaso ticket to campaign peacefully and responsibly.
“I therefore call on all Nigerians to support the Obi-Kwankwaso ticket and all candidates of the NDC and join us in the task of rebuilding our nation,” he said.
Politics
Atiku says 2027 will be his final presidential bid
By Abigail David
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has declared that the 2027 presidential election will be his final attempt to become Nigeria’s president, ruling out any plan to contest the office again in 2031.
Atiku, the presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, made the declaration in a Hausa-language interview on Wednesday while responding to a question on whether he would seek another presidential bid if he failed to win the 2027 election.
“No, I have said it before, right from this election, I will not contest again,” he said.
Atiku, who has sought the presidency several times, also urged Nigerians with Permanent Voter Cards, PVCs, to turn out in large numbers to vote in the 2027 election, describing active participation as critical to changing the country’s situation.
He advised voters to remain at their polling units after casting their ballots and follow the counting process to ensure that their votes were properly recorded.
“First of all, I appeal to those who have voter cards, for their own sake, their families, and their future, to go out and vote. That is the solution to the problems they are facing.
“After going out to vote, they should also stay, escort, and ensure that those votes are counted,” Atiku said.
The ADC candidate also dismissed concerns about his ability to cope with the demands of the presidency, insisting that he remained physically fit and capable of governing the country.
“No doctor has declared that I am unfit in terms of health. I know my body, I know I am healthy, and I do not have a single defect,” he said.
Politics
APC Sets August 22 for Legislative Primary Elections
By Abigail David
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has scheduled Saturday, August 22, 2026, for its primary elections to select candidates for four restored State House of Assembly constituencies and legislative bye-elections across five states.
The party announced the timetable in a statement signed by its National Organising Secretary, Sulaiman Argungu, and released on Wednesday.
The primaries will cover three restored constituencies in Delta State — Abraka, Isoko North II and Ughelli South II — and Yagba West II in Kogi State.
The exercise will also produce APC candidates for legislative bye-elections in Gombe, Bauchi, Delta and Kano states.
According to the timetable, the sale of expression-of-interest and nomination forms will run from August 18 to 20, while the submission deadline is August 20.
Screening of aspirants, publication of results and screening appeals will take place on August 21, ahead of the primaries on August 22. Election appeals are scheduled for August 24.
The APC fixed the expression-of-interest fee for State House of Assembly aspirants at N1 million and the nomination fee at N5 million, while House of Representatives aspirants will pay N1 million and N9 million respectively.
Female, youth and physically challenged aspirants are required to pay the expression-of-interest fee and 50 per cent of the prescribed nomination fee.
The timetable follows the Independent National Electoral Commission’s restoration of the four previously suppressed constituencies after court judgments.
SEO Keywords:
-
News23 hours agoHon. Jafaru Yakubu Commends President Tinubu’s Approval of Mutum Biyu–Garba Chede Road Reconstruction
-
News21 hours ago7th China-Africa Media Cooperation Forum Opens in Beijing
-
News22 hours ago
ASUU Commends Kaduna Govt Over KASU Funding Amid Face-Off
-
News24 hours agoKaduna varsity lecturers ready for talks with govt to avert strike
-
News17 hours ago
Gov Sule Commends DSS, Other Security Agencies Over Rescue of Kidnapped Victims in Nasarawa State
-
Politics22 hours agoKwankwaso explains decision to run with Obi in 2027
-
Sports22 hours agoPremier League to crack down on set-piece grappling
-
Business and Economy23 hours agoNUPENG urges Tinubu to end casualisation in oil sector

You must be logged in to post a comment Login