Category: News

You can add some category description here.

  • INEC Writes Police, Seeks Investigation of Adamawa REC Yunusa Ari

    INEC Writes Police, Seeks Investigation of Adamawa REC Yunusa Ari

    The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has written to the Nigeria Police Force (NPF), asking it to investigate the suspended Adamawa Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) Hudu Yunusa Ari over his role in the state’s governorship election.

    Yunusa-Ari had declared the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate Aisha ‘Binani’ Dahiru as the winner of the supplementary poll even while the collation of results was ongoing, a decision INEC nullified.

    About one week after the incident, the police said they have received INEC’s letter demanding Yunusa-Ari’s probe.

    “The Nigeria Police Force is in receipt of a letter dated 18th April 2023 from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) detailing the alleged impropriety of the actions of one Barr. Hudu Yunusa-Ari, the Adamawa State Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), during the recently concluded supplementary elections and called on the Police to investigate and possibly prosecute the REC for his actions,” Force spokesman Olumuyiwa Adejobi said in a Sunday statement.

    “The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba, CFR, has directed an investigative team to work in collaboration with the INEC to expedite action on the contents of the letter.

    “The Inspector-General of Police while expressing the commitment of the NPF to upholding democratic values, assures Nigerians and the international community, that the Police will leave no stone unturned in unraveling the remote causes of the unwholesome conduct of the REC as well as ensure that all persons fingered in the course of investigations are brought to book.”

    The electoral umpire had earlier said it does not know the whereabouts of the REC.

  • Sudan: FG To Evacuate Stranded Nigerians By Road

    Sudan: FG To Evacuate Stranded Nigerians By Road

    Nigerians stranded in Sudan will be evacuated by road, according to Foreign Affairs Minister Geoffrey Onyeama.

    Many are stranded in the North African country following a power tussle that has resulted in a crisis. The development has led to calls for the evacuation of the nation’s citizens.

    But speaking on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, Onyeama said those stranded can’t be evacuated by air.

    “We have been given the cost estimate and all the details. They gave us a figure of 5,500 who are ready for evacuation. Obviously, what you need in a situation like this is a place where everybody can congregate before you start moving them out. Because the airports, as you pointed out in your report, it is out of commission. The only viable way out is by road.

    “But of course, it is not totally safe so you are going to require the government to provide some security and a safe corridor out.”

    He explained that “Our situation is particularly challenging because the numbers are so great. Some the countries like the US and European countries have started evacuating.

    “But what they’ve been evacuating were actually their diplomatic staff. They haven’t been able to start evacuating their citizens there. We can’t evacuate all our diplomatic staff at the moment because they need to also coordinate the evacuation of all those students that we’re talking about.”

    His comment comes as a statement from the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in Khartoum, signed by the Charge D’ Affairs H.Y Garko, advised students who make up about 80 percent of the stranded persons to stay indoors.

    The FG said it was still dangerous to embark on a journey toward the borders of Sudan without security clearance and guarantee from the Sudanese authorities.

    The Embassy also reassured the Nigerian students that their safety and well-being were of priority concern.

  • 5-Storey Building Collapses in Apapa, Lagos

    5-Storey Building Collapses in Apapa, Lagos

    A five-storey building under construction at 45 Ladipo Oluwole in the GRA Apapa area of Lagos State, collapsed on Sunday.

    This tragic incident is coming barely 72 hours after a seven-storey building collapsed in the Banana Island area of the state.

    According to the Lagos State Government, the developer ignored the “stop work and seal up orders” of the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA).

    The Physical Planning incident management had flagged the incident on its platform on Sunday evening. “This triggered immediate preliminary enquiries that showed that officers of LASBCA had issued a number of contravention notices, stop work and seal up orders which the developer ignored and carried on construction without any recourse, whatsoever, to the authorities,” the statement added.

    While there is no casualty record, the agency has cordoned off and taken over the site.

    The Deputy Director, Public Affairs Ministry for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Mukaila Sanusi, warned that this particular incident, like similar others, reinforces government’s repeated calls for responsible behaviour on the part of all stakeholders in the built environment.

    “The state government has immediately activated inquiries into the collapse to unravel the minute details and guide appropriate actions,” he added.

  • AirPeace launches first direct flight from Nigeria to Israel

    AirPeace launches first direct flight from Nigeria to Israel

    By Joyce Remi- Babayeju

    AirPeace airline has launched it’s first direct flight from Nigeria to Israel on 20h April, 2023 at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.

    Chief Executive Officer, Airpeace Airline, Allen Onyema has disclosed this during the states Pilgrimage Leaders and Managers meeting held on 20th at the NCPC office in Abuja.

    Onyema explained that the direct flight will boost the pilgrimage activities with scheduled flights on Thursdays and Friday every week s every two times a week and passengers would spend only five hours onboard.

    He commended the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Christian Pilgrim Commission, NCPC , Rev. Yakubu Pam for being instrumental in making the dream of having a direct flight to Israel come true.
    He also revealed that the Israeli Ambassador to Nigeria is working out modalities to ease the issuance of visas to Nigerians and intending pilgrims.

    Rev. Pam in intimated the State Christian Pilgrimage Leaders and Managers of the success of the just concluded main pilgrimage to Israel and Jordan.
    He explained that the meeting with the state pilgrimage leaders was to fashion out a way forward on the partnership between Airpeace Airline and the Commission in the airlift of intending Nigerian pilgrims.

    He said, “As stakeholders and key partners,we should come together to help pilot the affairs of pilgrimage.”

    According to him, going forward the State Christian Pilgrims Welfare Boards and the NCPC are intertwined to have a good working relationship to improve the productivity of the pilgrimage exercises .”

    Rev.Pam who was excited over the launch of the direct flight from Nigeria to TEL – AVIV said the initiative would ease the movement of Christian intending Pilgrims from Nigeria to the Holy Land of Israel.

    He disclosed that the 2023 Easter pilgrimage would officially commence on 28th April,2023 and the flag off ceremony would take place in Imo State.

    He charged pilgrimage leaders and managers to remain focused as the Commission is working assiduously to reposition Christian pilgrimage in Nigeria.

  • Withdraw Petition, Negotiate With Tinubu Over Interest Of South-East

    Withdraw Petition, Negotiate With Tinubu Over Interest Of South-East

    Former Governor of Enugu state, Senator Chimaroke Nnamani has asked the Presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) Mr. Peter Obi to withdraw his petition against the President-Elect, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, stating that it is ‘dead on arrival’

    Nnamani made the remarks in a statement issued to reporters on Sunday, April 23.

    He said Obi does not have the spread or national appeal as his appeal to non-electoral matters is to demarket the President-elect and besmirch his reputation. He added that what Obi is doing with the petition is “ego-driven, a joke carried too far.”

    “His Petition is dead on arrival. He does not have the spread or national appeal. His appeal to non-electoral matters is to demarket the President-elect and besmirch his reputation.

    “He does not have near spread and national appeal. His petition is ego-driven, a joke carried too far. His attempt to highlight on non electoral issues is trying to embarrass President-elect.

    “Obi needs to come down from his high horse to allow sedate minds to negotiate on behalf of the Igbo and South East for safe landing to include our stake in the national Palavar and Share of the accruals of the commonwealth”

    “We must join the mainstream and participate in the making of a new Nigeria. We are not going anywhere. We de kampe and ready to bargain for our own share. It is a common knowledge that others are doing the same.

    “Igbo has to confront reality now or be consigned to the backwoods of history. Time to align is now.”

  • Abducted Nasarawa Deputy Governor’s Driver Safely Released by Kidnappers

    Abducted Nasarawa Deputy Governor’s Driver Safely Released by Kidnappers

    From Leo Zuanke, Lafia

    Driver of the Deputy Governor of Nasarawa state, Emmanuel Akabe who was abducted by unknown gunmen, has been released by his captors.

    The news of his release has brought a sense of relief and joy to the family of the victim.

    According to sources close to the incident, the driver was released on Saturday, at about 8:15 pm, after being held captive for several days. However, the details of the ransom paid by the family of the victim have not been disclosed.

    The news of the abduction had sent shock waves across the state, as the deputy governor had earlier condemned the rise in criminal activities in the state, and had called for an end to the menace. His driver’s abduction was seen as a direct attack on the government and the security agencies in the state.

    Sources say that the deputy governor has been informed of the driver’s release, and has expressed his happiness and joy for the victim’s safe return.

    Meanwhile, the security agencies in the state have launched an investigation into the incident, with the hope of apprehending the perpetrators of the crime.

    The incident has once again brought to the fore the need for increased security measures in the state, to curb the rise in criminal activities.

    The release of the driver has been welcomed by the people of the state, who have called on the government to do more in ensuring the safety and security of its citizens.

  • Runners throng Abuja International Expo to collect kits

    Runners throng Abuja International Expo to collect kits

    Marathon enthusiasts from within and outside the Federal Capital Territory daily throng The Pavilion, the venue of the ongoing Abuja International Marathon Expo to collect their running kits in readiness for the first international marathon in Abuja and the Federal Capital Territory.
    The Expo began last Friday and registered runners from neighboring states like Kogi State, Niger State, Nasarrawa State, Kaduna State and others were at the Expo venue The Pavilion to collect their kits. Members of the diplomatic community were not left out as residents in the seat of power FCT and other parts of Nigeria want to be part of the race.
    Grace Bassey a marathon enthusiast who came all the way from Suleja to collect her kits said she has never missed an opportunity to be part of history,
    “History will be made on April 29, 2023, when the first international marathon will take place in FCT, I have never missed an opportunity to be part of history that was why I come here early to collect my kits, I don’t want to hear stories that the kits have finished. I will be running the 10km with my friends”
    A diplomat from one of the European countries who does not want his name in print said,” Running is part and parcel of my life; I have done races around the world where I have served. It will be great to experience a marathon in Abuja.
    “Abuja is a beautiful city with an excellent road network; an international marathon will showcase the city to the world”.
    Abuja International Marathon the first in FCT is slated for April 29, 2023. The race is in three categories 5km Student Run, the 10km Family Run, and the 42.195 Full Marathon.
    The race will start at the City Gate and finish at Eagles Square. The best entertainers in the country will entertain runners and spectators at the Finish Point.
    According to Race Director Olukayode Thomas, “Registration is free, it will close April 28, 2023, the last day of the Expo”.

  • Vulcanizer Killed While Settling Quarrel In Kogi

    Vulcanizer Killed While Settling Quarrel In Kogi

    From Noah Ocheni, Lokoja

    A 39 year-old Vulcanizer was over the weekend stabbed to death in Zango Daji, Adavi local government area of Kogi state, while intervening in a quarrel between two men over public urination.

    The deceased, Orishagbemi Sunday, was allegedly trying to settle a quarrel between his friend and another man when he met his untimely death.

    It was gathered that the problem started in the evening of Friday when a friend of the deceased, described as a vulcanizer at Ganaja junction, Lokoja, branched to urinate close to a building owned by one of the residents of the quarters.

    The action of the deceased’s friend infuriated the son of the owner of the building, identified as Sadiq, resulting into heated quarrels.

    Concerned about the development, the deceased came in to settle the quarrel between his friend and the boy.

    In the process, it was gathered that the son of the owner of the house was said to have brought out a knife and stabbed Orishagbemi to death.

    The Kogi State Police Public Relations Officer, SP William Ovye Aya who confirmed the story in an interview with journalists in Lokoja on Saturday, said the deceased was killed at Okada Park at Zango Daji, adding that the suspect had been arrested by the police for investigation.

    He promised that the suspect would be arraigned in court for prosecution as soon as the investigation is concluded in the case.

  • Zamfara Emir who conferred traditional title on bandit reinstated

    Zamfara Emir who conferred traditional title on bandit reinstated

    By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna

    Emir of Birnin Yandodo area of Zamfara State, Alh. Aliyu Garba Marafa, who was removed from office for conferring traditional title on a repentant bandit is to be reinstated.

    The approval for his reinstatement has already been granted by the Executive Governor of Zamfara State, Hon. Bello Mohammed Matawalle, and its with immediate effect.

    This was contained in a statement issued and signed by the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Zamfara state, Kabiru Balarabe Sardauna, (Lamidon Kaura Namoda), and made available to newsmen on Sunday.

    The statement stressed that his reinstatement is based on the recommendations of the Committee constituted to investigate all issues pertaining to the conferment of a traditional title to a repentant bandit, Ado Aleiru.

    “This is to inform the public that His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Zamfara State, Hon. Bello Mohammed Matawalle, has approved the reinstatement of Alh. Aliyu Garba Marafa as the Emir of Birnin Yandoto.

    “His reinstatement is based on the recommendations of the Committee constituted to investigate all issues pertaining to the conferment of a traditional title to a repentant bandit, Ado Aleiru. The committee found no evidence of any ill motive or collaboration between the Emir and the bandit.

    “Based on the findings of the committee, the traditional title was conferred on the repentant bandit as part of peace building efforts between the repentant bandit and banditry-affected communities in Tsafe and Gusau Local Government Areas, which include Yandoto town.
    “The reinstatement takes immediate effect”,

    The release is. dated 23rd April 2023.

  • NLC Slams FG Over Negligence In Evacuation Of Nigerians In Sudan

    NLC Slams FG Over Negligence In Evacuation Of Nigerians In Sudan

    The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has slammed the Federal Government for the delay in the evacuation of Nigerian citizens trapped in Sudan amid a raging war between two major military factions.

    In a statement signed by the President of the NLC, Joe Ajaero, on Saturday, the union said no Nigerian must be allowed to die in Sudan because of the negligence of the Nigerian government.

    The NLC also described as unacceptable, the government’s “excuse that attempting to evacuate our nationals through the Airport is risky”.

    The Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, had said the authorities were experiencing challenges, particularly with regards to airlifting Nigerian nationals from Sudan.

    However, the NLC said that all options must be explored including working out a safe corridor to neighbouring countries to allow Nigerian citizens safe passage and evacuated through the various land borders.

    It also suggested that “the government work out an arrangement with the international community to create a safe haven for all foreign nationals in the country to serve as a buffer to all foreign nationals against the vagaries of the War while peace effort is being made or other safer methods of evacuation are developed.”

    “Our concern is that while our government resorts to the usual lethargy and excuses, the lives of our nationals in Sudan already exposed to serious danger may begin to experience losses or injuries. We urge the federal government through the concerned agencies and Ministries to take urgent step to avoid death and injuries to our citizens in that country,” NLC stated.

    The statement further read, “Nigerians must not be allowed to die in Sudan because of negligence. No effort should be spared in ensuring their safety and ultimately evacuation to Nigeria if the War persists and escalates into a full blown war.

    “It remains the duty of the government and we urge the federal government to make this happen unless they want to tell us that these lives are not as important as the lives of the children of those in authority and does not deserve to be protected?

    “As we await a quick and positive action towards evacuating our citizens, we would want measures to be put in place to make their lives comfortable on arrival especially for those who own businesses in the Sudan and have suffered loss of businesses as a result. It does not make sense bringing them home without putting in place proper platforms to take care of their needs here.”

    Meanwhile, the Federal Government has set up a committee to work towards rescuing Nigerian citizens trapped in Sudan due the current unrest in the North African country.

    According the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the committee, which consists of professional emergency responders, search and rescue experts, “will constantly evaluate the situation and seek for the safest way to evacuate the Nigerian citizens even if it is through a country neigboring Sudan.”