Category: News

You can add some category description here.

  • Panic as 50 Reps members test positive to covid-19

    Panic as 50 Reps members test positive to covid-19

    The leadership of Nigeria’s House of Representatives on Tuesday hurriedly adjourned plenary until next week following insinuations that over 50 members are positive of covid-19 pandemic.

    The adjournment till next week is contrary to the House’s adopted covid-19 sitting guideline which stipulates twice a week.

    The House therefore resolved to sit once a week as a result of the spread of the deadly virus among members who have kept their status hidden even from the leadership.

    Representatives last week underwent tests to ascertain their covid-19 status. It was said by a source that the result of the test of not less than 50 lawmakers returned positive which triggered panic, leading to the adjustment of sitting guidelines.

    At plenary Tuesday, Speaker Femi Gbajabiamila called for an executive session-said to be with respect to the outcome of the covid-19 and later announced the adjournment.

  • BREAKING: Buhari, Ministers Honour Abdulkadir As FEC Meeting Begins

    BREAKING: Buhari, Ministers Honour Abdulkadir As FEC Meeting Begins

    Buhari led other members to observe a minute silence in honour of Abdulkadir at the beginning of the ongoing FEC virtual meeting.

    President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday, led other members of the Federal Executive Council to honour a former Minister of Sports and Youth Development, Inuwa Abdulkadir, who died on Monday, The PUNCH reports.

    Buhari led other members to observe a minute silence in honour of Abdulkadir at the beginning of the ongoing FEC virtual meeting.

    Vice President Yemi Osinbajo; Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha; Chief of Staff to the President, Ibrahim Gambari; and about 11 ministers are physically attending the meeting at the Council Chamber of the Presidential Villa, Abuja while others are attending virtually from their offices.

    Details later…

  • BREAKING: EFCC picks Mohammed Umar to replaces Magu as chairman

    BREAKING: EFCC picks Mohammed Umar to replaces Magu as chairman

    The Director of Operations with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Mohammed Umar has been reportedly picked to stand in the place of Ibrahim Magu and to oversee the affairs of the Commission.

    According to a story first published by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday evening, a top official of the commission said Umar was chosen by the “EFCC’s hierarchy”.

    The source also disclosed that the suspension of Ibrahim Magu has not been officially communicated to the commission.

    “I can tell you that all the allegations against Magu are untrue. I see the whole situation as a power play.

    “Preparations for the 2023 elections are another reason they want Magu out because he knows too much.

    “Another thing is the problem of staff welfare; imagine somebody like me for close to 10 years, I have not gained any promotion.

    “We are not happy about the news of his suspension, but I know that members of staff are not happy with him,” NAN quoted the source as saying.

  • Trump formally notifies UN of US withdrawal from WHO

    Trump formally notifies UN of US withdrawal from WHO

    The United States has formally notified the United Nations of its withdrawal from the World Health Organization.

    The withdrawal notification fulfils President Donald Trump’s vow in late May to terminate U.S. participation in the WHO.

    The US president has repeatedly criticised the WHO over its response to the coronavirus pandemic and has accused it of bowing to Chinese influence.

    However, the pullout won’t take effect until next year, meaning it could be rescinded under a new administration if circumstances change.

    The withdrawal notice was sent to U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday and will take effect in a year, on July 6, 2021, the US State Department and the United Nations said on Tuesday.

    Under the terms of the withdrawal, the U.S. must meet its financial obligations to the WHO before it can be finalised.

    The US, which is the agency’s largest donor and provides it with more than $400 million per year, currently owes the WHO some $200 million in current and past dues.

    In late May, less than two weeks after warning the WHO that it had 30 days to reform or lose US support, Trump announced his administration was leaving the organisation due to what he said was its inadequate response to the initial outbreak of the coronavirus in China’s Wuhan province late last year.

  • Buhari commends China’s support in Nigeria’s infrastructural development

    Buhari commends China’s support in Nigeria’s infrastructural development

    Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari has praised China for helping Nigeria’s infrastructural development.

    Buhari who stated this on Tuesday, said such contributions were visible in the areas of rail, roads, airports and power.

    Femi Adesina, Buhari’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity who disclosed this in a statement said the President spoke while receiving the outgoing Ambassador of the People’s Republic of China to Nigeria, Dr Zhou Pingjian, at a virtual farewell audience.

    “President Buhari lauds outgoing ambassador, says China is playing great role in reversing Nigeria’s infrastructural deficit.

    “Please convey our appreciation to President Xi Jinping for the contribution of China towards reversing the infrastructure deficit we suffer in the areas of rail, roads, airports and power.

    “There is no way a country can develop without these things,” Adesina quoted Buhari as saying.

    According to the statement, Buhari said that China had played its role effectively in all the Memoranda of Understanding signed with Nigeria, “and we quite appreciate it.”

    In response, the outgoing ambassador, Pingjian, said-“I have been privileged to visit all the 36 states of the country. I have seen the remarkable progress being made, and under your leadership, I am confident that Nigeria will fly higher.”

  • China censors Hong Kong internet, US tech giants resist

    China censors Hong Kong internet, US tech giants resist

    China has unveiled new powers to censor Hong Kong’s internet and access user data using its feared national security law — but US tech giants have put up some resistance citing rights concerns.
    The online censorship plans were contained in a 116-page government document released on Monday night that also revealed expanded powers for police, allowing warrantless raids and surveillance for some national security investigations.

    China imposed the law on semi-autonomous Hong Kong a week ago, targeting subversion, secession, terrorism and colluding with foreign forces — its wording kept secret until the moment it was enacted.

    Despite assurances that only a small number of people would be targeted by the law, the new details show it is the most radical change in Hong Kong’s freedoms and rights since Britain handed the city back to China in 1997.

    Late Monday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke out against “Orwellian” moves to censor activists, schools and libraries since the law was enacted.

    “Until now, Hong Kong flourished because it allowed free thinking and free speech, under an independent rule of law. No more,” Pompeo said.

    Restore stability
    Under its handover deal with the British, Beijing promised to guarantee until at least 2047 certain liberties and autonomy not seen on the authoritarian mainland.

    Years of rising concerns that China’s ruling Communist Party was steadily eroding those freedoms birthed a popular pro-democracy movement, which led to massive and often violent protests for seven months last year.

    China has made no secret of its desire to use the law to crush that democracy movement.

    “The Hong Kong government will vigorously implement this law,” Chief Executive Carrie Lam, the city’s Beijing-appointed leader, told reporters on Tuesday.

    “And I forewarn those radicals not to attempt to violate this law, or cross the red line, because the consequences of breaching this law are very serious.”

    With pro-democracy books quickly pulled out of libraries and schools, the government signalled in the document released on Monday night that it would also expect obedience online.

    Police were granted powers to control and remove online information if there were “reasonable grounds” to suspect the data breaches the national security law.

    Internet firms and service providers can be ordered to remove the information and their equipment can be seized. Executives can also be hit with fines and up to one year in jail if they refuse to comply.

    The companies are also expected to provide identification records and decryption assistance.

    Big tech unease
    However the biggest American tech companies offered some resistance.

    Facebook, Google and Twitter said Monday they had put a hold on requests by Hong Kong’s government or police force for information on users.

    Facebook and its popular messaging service WhatsApp would deny requests until it had conducted a review of the law that entailed “formal human rights due diligence and consultations with human rights experts,” the company said in a statement.

    “We believe freedom of expression is a fundamental human right and support the right of people to express themselves without fear for their safety or other repercussions,” a Facebook spokesman said.

    Twitter and Google told AFP that they too would not comply with information requests by Hong Kong authorities in the immediate future.

    Twitter told AFP it had “grave concerns regarding both the developing process and the full intention of this law”.

    Tik Tok, which is owned by Chinese company Byte Dance, announced it was pulling out of Hong Kong altogether.

    “In light of recent events, we’ve decided to stop operations of the TikTok app in Hong Kong,” TikTok told AFP.

    Tik Tok has become wildly popular amongst youngsters around the world. However many Hong Kongers have distrusted it because of its Chinese ownership.

    ByteDance has consistently denied sharing any user data with authorities in China, and was adamant it did not intend to begin to agree to such requests.

    In less than a week since the law was enacted, democracy activists and many ordinary people have scrubbed their online profiles of anything that China may deem incriminating.

    Monday night’s document also revealed that judicial oversight that previously governed police surveillance powers in Hong Kong had been eliminated when it comes to national security investigations.

    Police officers will be able to conduct a search without a warrant if they deem a threat to national security is “urgent”.

    “The new rules are scary, as they grant powers to the police force that are normally guarded by the judiciary,” barrister Anson Wong Yu-yat told the South China Morning Post.

  • BREAKING: Senate passes anti-sexual harassment bill

    BREAKING: Senate passes anti-sexual harassment bill

    The Senate has passed the bill against sexual harassment in tertiary institutions.

    It is titled, “A Bill for an Act to prevent, prohibit and redress sexual harassment of students in tertiary educational institutions and for matters concerned therewith, 2019.”

    The proposed legislation was sponsored by the Deputy President of the Senate, Ovie Omo-Agege.

    The bill was passed after it was read for third reading on Tuesday.

    The red chamber passed the bill after considering the report of the Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters.

  • BREAKING: President Buhari suspends Magu as EFCC acting Chairman

    BREAKING: President Buhari suspends Magu as EFCC acting Chairman

    Ibrahim Magu has been suspended as Acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) by President Muhammadu Buhari, the BBC reports.

    Magu spent the night in a police cell at the Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID) Headquarters in Abuja.

    This followed a six-hour grilling by a presidential panel, chaired by Justice Ayo Salami, a former president of the Court of Appeal.

    Buhari set up the panel to probe various allegations levelled against Magu, following a petition by the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, and the Department of State Service (DSS).

  • Rights Group faults removal of NSITF boss, urges SGF to wade in

    Rights Group faults removal of NSITF boss, urges SGF to wade in

    A coalition of Civil Society Groups has faulted the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige over the alleged suspension of Managing Director, Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund, (NSITF) , Mr Bayo Somefun, and other Senior Staff of the outfit.

    Conveners of the group, Mr
    Danesi Momoh and Comr. Olamide Odumosu who spoke at a press conference in Abuja argued that the suspension of the NSITF boss ran contrary to the procedures for discipline of CEO of Government Parastatals, Agencies and departments in accordance with the Public Service Rules(PSR).

    The rights group argued that the Minister acted unilaterally without reference the approval of the President Muhammadu Buhari and the Governing Board of NSITF, the office of the in line with the relevant provisions of the establishment Act and the principle guiding Chapter 3 and 16 of the Public Service Rules.

    Decrying the development, the group noted: “To our amazement , non of these procedure was followed by the Hon. Minister . This Clearly Shows That the Minister is acting with Prejudice and Premonitions. Instructively he also threaten the MD with the following words : there are many ways to kill a rat you either give it gamalin to eat , you set a trap for it or you knock it on the head to die .

    “This is totally out of order and unacceptable. More to it is that the Hon Minister Sen. Ngige has now brought another head of Procurement to Serve his own purpose, if not Stopped he’ll bring Chaos to the Organisation and that is why we are lending our voices to Curtail this Excesses.”

    The group enjoined the Minister to respect the procedural directives of the Government and allow the MD NSITF perform his duties without any needless Distractions.

    It further called on the federal Government through the office of the secretary of the government of the federation ( SGF) to restrain Sen. Ngige from bullying the MD/CEO of NSITF and any other Head Suffering from his entrapment .

    The group enjoined officers of the NSITF to ignore what it termed ” the obnoxious order” of the Minister and cooperate with Mr. Adebayo Somefun as their Substantive MD/CEO till the expiration of his tenure.

  • CBN sanctions erring banks, withdraws N118 billion from their accounts over cash reserve requirement, other offences

    CBN sanctions erring banks, withdraws N118 billion from their accounts over cash reserve requirement, other offences

    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has withdrawn the sum of N118 billion from the accounts of some banks for falling short of the cash reserve requirement (CRR) as well as the stipulated loan to deposit ratio (LDR).

    About 20 commercial banks were affected by the CBN sanction.

    “The accounts of about 20 banks were debited on Friday. The CBN does weekly maintenance and once any bank is not meeting up with the stipulated CRR and LDR, it sterilises their cash,” a report first published by Thisday quoted a in the apex bank as saying.

    It stated that “This is also part of the CBN’s liquidity management process as well as efforts to prevent banks with excess naira liquidity from forex speculation, the source added.

    “Liquidity management involves the supply or withdrawal from the market the amount of liquidity consistent with a desired level of short-term interest rates or reserve money.

    “The central bank last week adjusted the exchange rate at the Secondary Market Intervention Sales (SMIS) to N380/$1. The rate was formerly N360/$1.

    “CBN Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele, recently said there was “ample liquidity buffers for the sector, even with the over N10 trillion maintained today in the cash reserve balances of the CBN,” the report said.