Category: News

You can add some category description here.

  • China signs UN arms trade treaty

    China signs UN arms trade treaty

    China signed a global pact Monday to regulate arms sales that has been rejected by the United States, the Asian power’s UN ambassador said.
    The Communist Party leadership’s top legislative body voted in late June to join the UN Arms Trade Treaty, designed to control the flow of weapons into conflict zones.

    The signing demonstrates China’s “resolve and sincerity in maintaining international arms control regime, supporting multilateralism, and forging a community with a shared future for mankind,” Zhang Jun, China’s ambassador to the UN, said in a statement.

    The statement added that Beijing allows arms exports only to sovereign states and not to non-state actors.

    China, the second-largest global arms producer, announced June 22 it would join the Arms Trade Treaty, which now has 107 member states.

    Adopted by the UN in 2013, the treaty requires members to keep records of international transfers of weapons and to prohibit cross-border shipments that could be used in human rights violations.

    The arms included range from handguns to missiles to airplanes and warships.

    The US Senate never ratified the 2013 Arms Trade Treaty after former president Barack Obama endorsed it, and Trump has said he would revoke his predecessor’s signature.

    It is among a number of international agreements reached under the Obama administration that Trump has moved to pull out of.

  • Two NSITF staff arrested by DSS

    Two NSITF staff arrested by DSS

    Two staff of the National Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF) simply identified as Madam Ochei and Tope were on Monday arrested by officers of the Department of State Services (DSS).

    They were alleged to have attempted to smuggle files out of the corporate headquarters of the agency in Abuja. Ochei was caught at the gate with Tope’s bag containing the smuggled files.

    It would be recalled that the Managing Director of NSITF, Adebayo Somefun and some top management staff were recently suspended for financial breaches and other acts of gross misconduct.

    The Managing Director and some members of his Executive were accused of lavishing N3.4 billions on non-existent staff training split into about 196 different consultancy contracts in order to evade the Ministerial tenders Board and Federal Executive Council (FEC) approvals.

    The Management Board of NSITF led by Austin Enajemo Isire at the weekend announced that it would probe the financial activities of the suspended management.

    He said the approval for the suspension of the staff had been conveyed to the Minister in charge of the Ministry in a correspondence referenced SGF 47/511/T/99 of June 30, 2020, adding that the Minister has conveyed this approval and other necessary directives to him in terms of setting up a board- driven investigative panel.

  • BREAKING: Buhari reappoints Danbatta as EVC/CEO of NCC

    BREAKING: Buhari reappoints Danbatta as EVC/CEO of NCC

    President Buhari has reappointed Prof. Umar Garba Danbatta for a second term of five years as the Executive Vice Chairman/Chief Executive Officer (EVC/CEO) of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

    This was conveyed in a letter which Senate President Ahmad Lawan read at the plenary today July 7.

    President Buhari requested for screening and confirmation of Danbatta as EVC/CEO of NCC for a second term in the letter.

  • 1st China’s Wuhan container train arrives in Kiev – Officials

    1st China’s Wuhan container train arrives in Kiev – Officials

    The first direct container train, which left the central Chinese city of Wuhan on June 16, arrived in Kiev Monday, opening up new opportunities for China-Ukraine cooperation, said Ukrainian officials.

    “Today’s event has important symbolic significance for Sino-Ukrainian relations.

    “It means that future cooperation between China and Ukraine within the framework of the Belt and Road Initiative will become even closer,’’ said Chinese Ambassador to Ukraine, Fan Xianrong, during a ceremony to mark the train arrival here.

    “Ukraine will show its advantages as a logistics centre connecting Europe and Asia, and Sino-Ukrainian economic and trade cooperation will become even faster and more convenient.

    “All these will bring even more benefits to the peoples of the two countries,’’ he said.

    Ukraine’s Infrastructure Minister, Vladyslav Kryklii, who also attended the ceremony said this is the first step of regular container transportation from China to Ukraine.

    “This is the first time that Ukraine has not just been used as a transit platform for container transportation from China to Europe, but acted as the final destination,’’ said Kryklii.

    Ivan Yuryk, acting Head of Ukrainian Railways, told Xinhua that his country plans to expand the route of the container train.

    “We have big expectations as to this container route.

    “We can receive (trains) not only in Kiev but also in Kharkiv, Odessa and other cities,’’ said Yuryk.

    “For now, we’ve made plans with our partners about one train per week.

    “It’s a reasonable volume for a start,’’ said Oleksandr Polishchuk, First Deputy Head of Liski, a branch company of Ukrainian Railways that specialises in intermodal transportation.

    “One time per week allows us to improve the technology, work out necessary procedures with customs and controlling authorities, as well as with our clients,’’ Polishchuk said.

    The official added that one train can transport up to 40-45 containers, which adds up to a total of 160 containers per month.

    Thus Ukraine will receive up to 1,000 containers till the end of this year.

    “In 2019, China became Ukraine’s most important trading partner,’’ said Ukrainian Economist, Olga Drobotyuk, in a recent interview with Xinhua.

    “The launch of such trains can help to further expand and strengthen trade, economic, political and cultural cooperation between the two countries.’’

  • BREAKING: Armed security men takes over Ondo Assembly

    BREAKING: Armed security men takes over Ondo Assembly

    Some security operatives on Tuesday morning took over the complex of the Ondo State House of Assembly.

    With about 10 vans belonging to the men of the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, the security operatives mounted strategic locations within and outside the Assembly.

    Meanwhile, journalists who were at the complex to monitor the day’s proceedings were turned back by the security personnel.

    One of the security operatives told Gist Vile exclusively that the directive was given by the leadership of the house.

    He added that only three journalists from government-owned medium will be allowed to cover the proceedings.

    The sitting might not be unconnected with the plan to begin impeachment proceeding against the embattled deputy governor of the state, Agboola Ajayi.

  • BREAKING: Ondo Assembly begin impeachment process of Agboola Ajayi.

    BREAKING: Ondo Assembly begin impeachment process of Agboola Ajayi.

    Members of the Ondo State House of Assembly have commenced the process of removing the deputy governor, Mr Agboola Ajayi.

    The members of the Assembly are currently deliberating in the Assembly on the allegation of gross misconduct against Ajayi.

    On the premises of the Assembly, scores of armed policemen and the men of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps are present to maintain the law and order.

    Details later.

  • Ondo Deputy Governor sues Assembly to prevent impeachment

    Ondo Deputy Governor sues Assembly to prevent impeachment

    The Deputy Governor of Ondo State, Agboola Ajayi, on Monday sued the House of Assembly over alleged plans to remove him from office.

    He said the decision is to halt plans by the assembly to begin his impeachment process for leaving the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) to the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

    Mr Ajayi through his lawyer, I. Olatoke, filed a suit seeking to halt the impeachment proceeding and enforce his fundamental right of association at the Federal High Court, Abuja.

    Aside the House of Assembly, the suit filed by his lawyer has the Inspector General of Police, State Commissioner Of Police, State Security Service (SSS) and the Speaker of the Assembly, David Oleyeloogun as defendants.

    It is not clear if the suit has been assigned to a judge.

    Our correspondent reported how Mr Ajayi resigned his membership of the APC and moved out of his official residence.

    He joined the PDP and was formally welcomed to the party by its national chairman, Uche Secondus.

    According to him, the APC has ‘become a poisoned space’ with one man ‘kneeling on its neck’.

    He has been screened by PDP and is expected to contest in the party’s primary ahead of the October gubernatorial election.

  • House of Reps investigates alleged revenue leakage of $30b

    House of Reps investigates alleged revenue leakage of $30b

    The House of Representatives has opened investigations into Nigeria’s loss of more than 30 billion dollars annually in the past ten years from foreign exchange allocation and tax evasion.

    At the maiden investigative hearing, one of the invited banks disclosed that it is in court to stop the parliament from going ahead with the investigations.

    National Assembly Correspondent Joke Adisa reports that the mandate before the joint Committee of the House on Finance as well as Banking and Currency is to unravel the truth surrounding an allegation that the country loses about thirty billion dollars every year to tax evasion and other malpractices.

    The Speaker of the House declared the investigative hearing open resolving that the parliament will plug all loopholes

    As the technical session opens, one of the five banks slated to appear before the legislators insisted it is in possesion of a court order which stops it from exposing its foreign exchange records to the lawmakers.

    The representative of Unity Bank, Usman Abdulkadir, was asked to represent the bank’s memorandum and appear at a later date.

  • Obaseki vs Ize-Iyamu: No free dollars for you to loot in Edo – PDP fires back at Ganduje

    Obaseki vs Ize-Iyamu: No free dollars for you to loot in Edo – PDP fires back at Ganduje

    The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has told Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State that there will be no dollars available for him to loot in Edo State.

    PDP described Ganduje, who is the Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) National Campaign Council for the Edo governorship election, as a ”barefaced treasury looter.”

    This was contained in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, in reaction to Ganduje’s earlier claim that the PDP was only interested in the Edo State treasury, hence the support for Obaseki.

    PDP said the Kanu State Governor has no moral rectitude to speak on corruption.

    The PDP wondered how Ganduje, who was seen in viral video stuffing his robe with gratification in foreign currency, could accuse it of corruption intentions.

    “Apparently, Governor Ganduje and other APC leaders are so used to looting public treasuries that such is his first mental direction after his inauguration to lead the Edo governorship campaign,” the PDP’s statement said.

    “Governor Ganduje has further confirmed the real intention of the APC, which is to use their morally embattled candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu (of course, birds of the same feathers flock together) for their desperate effort to regain access to Edo state treasury, after Governor Godwin Obaseki liberated the state from the stranglehold of APC treasury-looting godfathers.

    “Our party invites Governor Ganduje to note that there is no free dollars for him and other APC leaders to loot in Edo State.

    “Moreover, Governor Ganduje, with his infamous ‘gandollar’ video, is no match to the Chairman of the PDP National Campaign Council for the Edo election, Governor Nyesom Wike.”

  • Magu detained!

    Magu detained!

    By Lawrence Ekwonu

    Key allegations against him

    •Alleged discrepancies in the reconciliation records of the EFCC and Ministry of Finance on recovered funds

    •Declaration of N539b as recovered funds instead of N504b

    •Insubordination to the Office of the AGF

    •Not providing enough evidences for the extradition of Diezani Alison-Madueke

    •Alleged late action on the investigation of P&ID leading to legal dispute

    •Not respecting court order to unfreeze a N7b judgment in favour of a former executive director of a bank

    •Alleged delay in acting on two vessels seized by the Navy

    •Alleged favouring of some investigators called Magu Boys

    •Reporting some judges to their presiding officers without deferring to the AGF

    •Alleged sale of seized assets to cronies, associates and friends

    •Alleged issuance of investigative activities to some media prejudicial to some cases

    FOR hours on Monday, Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Ibrahim Magu testified before a panel looking into allegations levelled against him by Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami (SAN).

    The panel is headed by Justice Isa Ayo Salami, a retired president of the Court of Appeal.

    Magu was detained last night after being quizzed by the panel. Details to follow…