Category: News

You can add some category description here.

  • Tragedy as make-up artist slumps and dies while dancing at her birthday party

    Tragedy as make-up artist slumps and dies while dancing at her birthday party

    A young make-up artist, Deborah Tushima on Saturday, slumped and died while dancing at her birthday party.

    The beautiful young lady had earlier that day taken to her social media page to thank God for adding another year as well as the gift of life. She also shared new photos of herself on the platform.

    She posted- “So many things to be grateful for, the greatest is the gift of LIFE! Happy birthday to me. Please pray for me.”

    But while at a party with her friends later that day to mark the birthday, she slumped and died as she danced to entertain her guests.

  • Three prominent Nigerians die in one day from coronavirus

    Three prominent Nigerians die in one day from coronavirus

    Three prominent Nigerian citizens died yesterday, Sunday from Covid-19 related illnesses.

    They are Professor Godwin Achinge, Chief Jide Odekunle and J. Shalanga.

    Prof. Achinge was deputy vice-chancellor of Benue State University, Makurdi, as well as vice-chairman of the State’s Action Committee on COVID-19. He died on Sunday afternoon at an undisclosed hospital in Jos where he was receiving treatment.

    Chief Jide Odekunle was the immediate past general manager of the Lagos State Infrastructure Maintenance and Regulatory Agency (LASIMRA). He died on Sunday at the age of 53 at the Onikan isolation centre in Lagos state. He was until his death the Bobagunwa of Egbaland.

    Until his death, Shalanga was the state supervisor of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in Zamfara. His death was confirmed by Zamfara state commissioner for health, Alhaji Yahaya Kanoma, who said the NCDC supervisor fell sick and was rushed to Yariman Bakura Specialist hospital Gusau for treatment. He died on the way.

  • Buhari called upon to probe ‘missing N300bn’

    Buhari called upon to probe ‘missing N300bn’

    President Muhammad Buhari has been called upon to investigate the missing of N300 Billion from the nation’s treasury.

    The call was made by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) which also gave the president 14 days to direct the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, and anti-corruption agencies, to probe the alleged missing money.

    SERAP based its demand on the 2017 audited report by the Auditor General of the Federation (AGF).

    In a letter dated July 4, 2020 and signed by SERAP Deputy Director, Kolawole Oluwadare, the organization said such mismanagement; diversion and stealing of public funds, as well as unaccounted-for spending are not acceptable.

    The letter was also copied to Bolaji Owasanoye, Chairman, Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC); Ibrahim Magu, Acting Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC); and Zainab Ahmed, Minister of Finance.

    SERAP said the audit report suggests a grave violation of the public trust, and revealed that indicted Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) and the National Assembly lack effective and credible internal processes to prevent and combat corruption.

    It was uncovered that the Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC) allegedly spent ₦25,856,279 on behalf of the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs to develop online recruitment in April 2014 without any supporting memo from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and without due process.

  • Nigeria records 544 new covid-19 cases

    Nigeria records 544 new covid-19 cases

     

    Nigeria recorded 544 new cases of coronavirus infections on Sunday, indicating that the trend is still rising, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

    With the latest report, Nigeria now has a total of 28,711 cases. Out of the 544 cases, Lagos had the highest number of infections with 199 cases, followed by Ebonyi state with 65 infections.

    Other states which recorded new COVID-19 cases include: Oyo-47; Ondo-46; Ogun-31; Edo-30; Abuja-28; Katsina-25; Plateau-15; Bayelsa-11; Kaduna-10; Adamawa-10; Akwa Ibom-8; Gombe-7; Kano-4; Taraba-3; Rivers-2; Abia-2 and Ekiti-1.

    So far, 11,665 persons who contracted the virus have been discharged in Nigeria with 645 deaths recorded, according to the NCDC.

  • Kanye West declares his intention for US presidency

    Kanye West declares his intention for US presidency

    Mercurial hip-hop superstar turned footwear magnate, Kanye West has announced he wants to contest the office of the President of the United State against Donald Trump of the Republican Party and Joe Biden of the Democratic Party.

    The husband of social media millionaire Kim Kardashian made the announcement Saturday via his twitter handle.

    The billionaire rapper had earlier said he was going to contest in 2024. His abrupt announcement therefore came as a surprise to many.

    “One of my main things [I’ll address] once I’m president is the medical industry,” he said in a 2018 interview, adding,- “I’m going to make sure that the medical industry flourishes. There’s one thing I learned by hanging around with Jay-Z, and being married to my wife, is you can’t fuck up the paper. That’s the problem with a lot of the radical leaders in the past.”

    West’s decision to enter the 2020 race means he’ll have to compete with President Trump whom he calls ‘brother.’

    In the past, Kanye West said he had no regret supporting Donald Trump in spite of the overwhelming criticisms it generated, adding that he is a better and richer person while supporting the US president.

    “We know who I’m voting on. And I’m not going to be told by the people around me and the people that have their agenda that my career is going to be over. Because guess what: I’m still here! Jesus Is King was No. 1!

    “I was told my career would end if I wasn’t with her (Hillary Clinton). What kind of campaign is that, anyway? That’s like if Obama’s campaign was ‘I’m with black.’ What’s the point of being a celebrity if you can’t have an opinion? Everybody make their own opinion! You know?” he said.

    If Kanye West is serious to run in November, it means he needs to work hard and swiftly to meet deadlines since he has already missed the filing deadline in a number of states, which means he likely have to run as a write-in candidate, of course without a party platform.

    He has already received two big endorsements: one from his wife, Kim Kardashian West, and the other from his good friend, Tesla CEO of Elon Musk. His wife’s support is a big blow to the camp of Obama and Joe Biden who are depending on young peoples’ votes as well as those of African Americans.

    One twitter user told Kanye West in reaction that- “Ye of trying to split the vote in favor of a Joe Biden loss.”

  • COVID-19: Gov. Oyetola orders lockdown in 4 Osun LGAs

    COVID-19: Gov. Oyetola orders lockdown in 4 Osun LGAs

    Gov. Gboyega Oyetola of Osun has ordered total lockdown in four local government areas in the state to contain the spread of coronavirus in the areas.

    Oyetola, in a statement by Mrs Funke Egbemode, Commissioner For Information and Civic Orientation, in Osogbo on Saturday, said the affected local governnents were Ilesa East, Ilesa West, Atakumosa East and Atakumosa West.

    The governor, who noted that the lockdown would be for seven days in the first instance effective from July 7, said the decision was the fallout of the meeting between the government and the stakeholders from the areas.

    He said that the decision to impose the total lockdown in the areas was aimed at containing the spread of the virus in that axis of the state.

    According to him, government has every reason to believe that the state is already witnessing what looked like community transmission in the area and as such there is need to come up with measures to arrest the trend.

    The governor said during the lockdown, there would be no vehicular movement within the affected areas.

    He said only those on essential duties such as health, fire service, environmental officials, security personnel, power and water supply agencies, media and telecommunication officers would be allowed to move around.

    The governor also said that residents in the affected areas would not have opportunity to go to worship centres and markets during the period but would be allowed to shop within their neighbourhood.

    Oyetola urged residents of the affected areas to take advantage of the hours between Saturday(today) and Monday to stock up provisions that would last them one week in the first instance.

    He added that intra-state travel to and fro would not be allowed during the lockdown, warning that violators of the lockdown order will be severely dealt with.

    Oyetola said government was also closely monitoring other local government areas with rising confirmed cases of the virus, adding that more areas might also be on the lockdown in the coming days.

    The governor, however, said that the relaxation in other areas of the state had been extended by two weeks.

    “For the avoidance of doubt, our curfew will still run from 9p.m. to 5a.m. daily in other parts of the state, except the locked down local governments.

    “In furtherance to the above, for the other parts of the state, the ban on political, public, religious, and any kind of gatherings under whatever guise remain in force.

    “While worship centres must adhere strictly to government guidelines guiding their re-opening.

    ” Government will not hesitate to shut down any of the worship centres that violates our guidelines,” the governor said.

    The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the state has 151 confirmed cases out of which 59 treated and discharged and five deaths recorded.

  • Russia says China would be needed in expanded G7 summit: TASS

    Russia says China would be needed in expanded G7 summit: TASS

    Russia is not in talks with Washington about its potential role at an expanded Group of Seven summit later this year, Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Saturday, insisting that China should also be included in the event.

    His comments to TASS news agency countered those of John Sullivan, U.S. ambassador to Russia, who told RBC TV on Friday that Washington was “engaged with the Russian Foreign Ministry and with the other G7 governments about whether there is an appropriate role for Russia at the G7”.

    U.S. President Donald Trump has raised the prospect of Russia’s return to the group, which includes the world’s most advanced economies, after it was expelled in the wake of its annexation of Crimea from Ukraine in 2014.

    Trump said last month it was “common sense” to invite President Vladimir Putin to rejoin the group.

    Russia had been part of the group, then known as the G8, since 1997.

    Other G7 nations, including Canada and France, have objected to Russia’s return, however.

    Ryabkov said that the absence of China from an expanded G7 summit would make it impossible to discuss international issues.

    “The idea of this so-called extended G7 is flawed because it’s not clear how the authors of this initiative plan to address the Chinese factor,” he was quoted as saying.

    “Without China it’s simply impossible to discuss any issues in the modern world.”

    Trump in May announced he was postponing a G7 summit until September or later and expanding the list of invitees to include Australia, Russia, South Korea and India.

    Australia has accepted the U.S. invitation to take part.

  • Remdesivir ‘first Covid-19 drug to receive EU’s green light’

    Remdesivir ‘first Covid-19 drug to receive EU’s green light’

    The first drug to treat severe cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the European Union (EU), on Friday, was given the green light, with the European Commission approving Remdesivir.

    EU’s Health Commissioner, Stella Kyriakides, said the union would leave no stone unturned in its efforts to secure efficient treatments or vaccine against the coronavirus.

    “It is the first time the EU’s Executive arm has granted the approval to a COVID-19 drug and was the last step for remdesivir to be given the full go-ahead,” Kyriakides said.
    This decision follows a recommendation from the European Medicines Agency (EMA), which said that the drug, sold under the name Veklury, should be approved for treating COVID-19 patients over the age of 12 who requires supplemental oxygen.

    Remdesivir, manufactured by U.S. Biotech Company, Gilead Sciences, was originally developed as an Ebola treatment, but it had little effect.

    However, the approval came shortly after the U.S. Government had announced an agreement with Gilead Sciences, which it bought up almost all of the drug supplies for the upcoming months.

  • NNPC’s Chief Operating Officer, Ewubare resigns

    NNPC’s Chief Operating Officer, Ewubare resigns

    Roland Ewubare, the Chief Operating Officer of Joint Ventures and Business Development at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has resigned.

    Ewubare was said to have in a manner that surprised officers in his in his office and the entire management of the Corporation.

    The former Chief Operating Officer was said to have resigned on Wednesday, after spending five years with NNPC. He was also said to be an ally of the former Group Managing Director of NNPC, Maikanti Baru who died not long ago.

    Sources said claimed it was the need to stay close with his immediate family that necessitated his resignation while others suggested he was not finding it easy with the current leadership of the firm.

  • Former EFCC boss, Lamorde, others get new Police assignments

    Former EFCC boss, Lamorde, others get new Police assignments

    The Inspector General of Police, IGP Muhammad Adamu has approved the posting and redeployment of AIG Ibrahim Lamorde, a former Chairman of the Economics and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) and some other senior officers of the Force to head the newly created commands.

    The IGP said the redeployment and posting which takes immediate effect was part of the commitment of his management’s commitment to reposition the force for efficiency, adding that such action has become imperative following the recent presidential approval for the re-organization of the Nigeria Police.

    According to him, the reorganisation includes the creation of an additional Department – the Directorate of Intelligence, expansion of the police zonal structure from 12 to 17 and the creation of two additional FCID annexes.

     He said the redeployed senior officers will serve as heads for the Department of Research & Planning, the Directorate of Intelligence, the five newly created Zonal Commands, and the four annexes of the FCID.

    In a statement signed by Force Public Relations Officer, DCP, Frank Mba, the IGP listed other senior officers redeployed alongside Lamorode to include AIG Adeleye Olusola Oyebade, who will head the Department of Research and Planning while Lamorode will head the force Directorate of Intelligence, FHQ, Abuja.

    “Prior to this posting, AIG Adeleye Olusola Oyebade, was a Directing Staff at the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, Jos while AIG Lamorde, a former Chairman of the EFCC was the AIG in-charge of Force Intelligence,” the statement read.

    The statement added that the IGP has approved the posting of AIG Zone 13 Ukpo-Dunukofia (Awka)– AIG Dan-Mallam Mohammed; AIG Zone 14 Katsina – AIG Rabiu Yusuf, AIG Zone 15 Maiduguri – AIG Lawal Ado, AIG Zone 16 Yenagoa – AIG Austine I. Agbonlahor, and AIG Zone 17 Akure – AIG David Oyebanji Folawiyo as senior officers to head the five new Police Zonal Commands.

    He added that CP Asuquo Amba, former Commissioner of Police, Ekiti Command takes charge as AIG of the new FCID Annex Gombe; CP Olafimihan A. Adeoye, former CP Federal-SARS takes charge as the AIG FCID Annex Enugu while CP Uche J. Anozie, former CP Cross River takes charge as AIG FCID Annex Lagos.