Connect with us

News

Contractors Slam Kaduna Govt Over Alleged N38bn Debt, Demand Audit

Published

on

Reject N150m Drug Sale Proposal for Unpaid Contractors

By Achadu Gabriel | Kaduna

A coalition of more than 400 contractors engaged under an alleged N38 billion agreement with the Kaduna State Government has accused the state of failing to settle payments for completed projects since 2023, warning that affected contractors may begin decommissioning boreholes and retrieving supplied items.

The allegations were made during a press conference in Kaduna on Saturday by the Chairman of the Eagle Brain Human Rights Organization, Comrade Daniel Ejembi, who spoke on behalf of the contractors.

According to the group, the Kaduna State Government entered into the contract arrangement in 2023 through a firm identified as Formal Act Legacy for projects spread across the state.

Ejembi alleged that contractors mobilised to project sites, supplied equipment, drilled boreholes, and completed assignments based on directives issued through the Ministry of Local Government.

He further claimed that the Commissioner for Local Government, Sadiq Mamman Lagos, acting through a committee chaired by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, instructed contractors to return to site and complete pending projects despite existing payment concerns.

The contractors said many of them secured loans from banks and private lending firms at high interest rates to execute the projects.

“To date, not a single kobo has been paid. No explanation has been given. No meeting has been convened to brief these contractors on the cause of the delay,” the group alleged.

Contractors reject N150m drug sale arrangement

The contractors also rejected a proposal linked to the reported sale of drugs allegedly left behind by the Managing Director of Formal Act Legacy.

According to the group, the drugs were sold for N150 million, with plans to distribute the proceeds among nearly 300 contractors.

“Let us be clear: N150 million divided among 400 contractors amounts to less than N500,000 each. This is a mockery of the millions owed to each contractor and a deliberate attempt to dismiss legitimate claims with tokenism,” the organisation stated.

The contractors described the arrangement as inadequate compared to the scale of debts allegedly owed to them.

Financial hardship and loan pressures

The group claimed the prolonged non-payment had plunged many contractors into financial crisis, resulting in loss of homes, collapsed businesses, inability to pay school fees and medical bills, and mounting pressure from banks and loan companies.

Some contractors alleged that colleagues had suffered severe emotional distress, while others reportedly relocated abroad due to the financial burden.

“This has been so serious and so heavy on the contractors to the extent that quite a number of us have lost their lives. A number of us have run into the diaspora,” one contractor told reporters.

Another contractor said many were forced to obtain loans from informal lenders at exorbitant rates to complete projects after conventional banks declined assistance.

“It’s dehumanising. It has brought our dignity down,” the contractor said.

Projects and EFCC involvement

The projects reportedly included borehole drilling, supply of vehicles, generators, machines, and hospital equipment across several local government areas.

The contractors alleged that contract documents were signed by local government chairmen using official council letterheads, while Formal Act Legacy acted primarily as an intermediary and supervisory partner.

The group also disclosed that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had been involved following petitions submitted by contractors.

According to them, the anti-graft agency assessed claims from petitioning contractors at about N30 billion, while the contractors maintain that total liabilities stand closer to N38 billion.

“In fairness to EFCC, they have done their best,” the group said, noting that some recovered items had been sold following court approval, leading to payments for a few contractors.

Demand for audit and payment

The contractors and the Eagle Brain Human Rights Organization demanded immediate payment of outstanding debts, full disclosure on the alleged delay in payments, and an independent audit of both the N38 billion contract arrangement and the N150 million drug sale.

They also called for an end to what they described as harassment by financial institutions due to debts incurred while executing government-backed projects.

The group warned that contractors may begin dismantling boreholes and retrieving supplied materials if payments are not made promptly.

“This is not a threat. It is a last act of self-preservation after being pushed to the brink,” the contractors stated.

They appealed to the media, civil society organisations, and anti-corruption agencies to sustain attention on the issue until the government responds officially.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Kefas Urges Church Leaders to Defend Truth and Promote Peace in Taraba

Published

on

By

By Aga Samuel Imoter, Jalingo

Taraba State Governor Agbu Kefas has urged Christian leaders to defend truth, speak to political authorities when necessary and promote peace and moral values amid the social, economic and security challenges facing the country. Kefas made the call on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, while addressing participants at the Ministers’ Conference organised by the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Taraba State Chapter, in Jalingo.

The conference, themed “The Church and the State: Partners in God’s Plan in a Changing World,” brought together Christian ministers and leaders to discuss the role of the Church in nation-building, peacebuilding and good governance. The governor said government and the Church have distinct constitutional and spiritual responsibilities but could collaborate in areas that promote peace, development and social stability.

He urged Christian leaders to uphold truth, compassion, justice and moral discipline while advising political authorities without allowing partisan interests to compromise the Church’s independence. “The Church must not become an extension of any political party,” Kefas said, urging ministers to provide constructive guidance and resist divisions based on politics, ethnicity or personal interests.

Kefas also called on religious leaders to use their platforms to discourage corruption, drug abuse, violence, hatred and injustice, while encouraging young people to pursue legitimate opportunities. He assured residents that his administration would continue to promote fairness, justice and peaceful coexistence while protecting citizens’ rights and freedom of worship.

The governor also expressed readiness to deepen collaboration with religious institutions in education, peacebuilding, community development and efforts to address drug abuse. He appealed to citizens and religious leaders to embrace unity and forgiveness, saying the development of Taraba required collective responsibility.

Continue Reading

News

Kaduna Police to Hold Three-Day Youth Engagement Programme on Crime and Drug Abuse

Published

on

By

By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna

The Kaduna State Police Command will hold a three-day Police–Youth Engagement Programme from Thursday, August 20, to Saturday, August 22, 2026, as part of activities to mark International Youth Day and strengthen community efforts to prevent crime and promote peace.

The programme, themed “Different Contexts, Common Aspirations,” will bring together police officers, youths, community leaders, youth organisations and other stakeholders.In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Mansir Hassan, said the initiative was in line with a directive by the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, to deepen engagement between the police and young people.

According to the Command, activities will include a Walkathon/Peace Walk aimed at promoting unity, healthy living and responsible citizenship. A medical outreach will also provide basic healthcare services and health awareness to young people and community members.

The programme will conclude with a lecture and interactive session addressing crime prevention, cultism, drug abuse, political and digital thuggery, responsible social media use, youth participation in community policing and emerging security challenges.

The Commissioner of Police, Kaduna State Command, CP Rabiu Muhammad, urged youths, community leaders and other stakeholders to participate actively in the programme. He called on participants to support efforts to promote peace, unity, responsible citizenship and a safer Kaduna State.

Continue Reading

News

FUL Matriculates 900 Postgraduate Students, Reaffirms Commitment to Research

Published

on

By

From Noah Ocheni, Lokoja

The Federal University Lokoja (FUL) has matriculated 900 postgraduate students for the 2025/2026 academic session, with the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Ggenga Solomon Ibileye, reaffirming the institution’s commitment to expanding postgraduate opportunities and strengthening its research culture. Ibileye made the commitment during the postgraduate matriculation ceremony held at the university’s permanent site in Lokoja.

The Vice-Chancellor said research remained central to the value of postgraduate education and stressed the university’s commitment to maintaining and improving its academic standards.

He said postgraduate students would undergo prescribed coursework and examinations, while their projects, theses and dissertations would be subjected to originality and similarity checks. According to him, students would also be required to defend research proposals, participate in internal seminars and submit their work to external examiners.

“These processes ensure that the certificate eventually conferred by the university is worth the years a candidate will spend earning it,” he said. Ibileye said the university currently offers postgraduate programmes at the Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s and Doctor of Philosophy levels, covering both professional and academic disciplines.

He commended the Provost of the postgraduate college, Prof. Matthew Ola-Rotimi Ajayi, for his leadership and expressed confidence that the institution’s academic standards would continue to improve. The Vice-Chancellor congratulated the new students and welcomed them to the postgraduate scholarly community of the university.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.