x

Court fixes Nov. 26 for Buhari’s impeachment suit hearing

A Federal High Court sitting in Osogbo Osun State capital has fixed November 26, 2018 for suit hearing which seeks to compel the National Assembly to begin impeachment proceedings against President Muhammadu Buhari.

On Tuesday, Justice Maurine Onyetenu, the presiding judge made this known, as she entertained the case, which was jointly instituted by a human right lawyer, Kanmi Ajibola, and an activist, Sulaiman Adeniyi against the President for his alleged failure to meet basic requirement to occupy the office of the president.

The applicants had earlier written the National Assembly, alleging constitutional breaches by the president and urged both chambers to begin impeachment of the president.

In the motion ex-parte, the duo were contending that in flagrant violation of the 1999 constitution, President Buhari contested the election, won and was sworn in as the president on May 29, 2015 without possessing the basic constitutional requirement, which would have qualified him for the contest.

They also alleged that President Buhari in flagrant violation of section 137 (1) (j) of the 1999 constitution presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, for the purpose of the 2015 presidential election that brought him to the office of the president.

The applications in the suit, further said that “In the light of the 4th respondent’s placement to continue in the office as the president, he has no certificate and basic requirement upon which this placement to continue in the office can be placed.”

They also accused the president of treating the orders of the court with great disdain and abuse of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria at will, particularly from the angle of the observance of the federal character as contained in section 14 of the constitution.

Counsel to the applicants, Samuel Echeonwu, told the court that counsel to the respondents have not served him the process for their objections.

Solomon Ogunlowo, the representative of the President apologised to the court for his failure to serve the applicants notice of preliminary objections, promising that he would effect the service so that the matter can go on in the next adjournment.

The matter was thereafter adjourned for hearing to November 26, 2018 by Justice Onyetenu.

Hot this week

Abuja Bus Terminals to ” Hit the Ground Running” After FEC Approval, Wike Assures

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuThe FCT Minister, Barr.Nyesom Wike, has...

Endorsements Gather Momentum for Governor Alex Otti Ahead of 2027

Recent political events in Abia State have seen a...

Bayelsa Honours Over 90 Veteran Journalists with Cash Awards, Football Fiesta

More than 90 retired journalists were celebrated in Bayelsa...

Wike Says FCT Magistrate Court Project to Be Delivered in June

By Joyce Remi - BabayejuThe FCT Minister, Barr. Nyesom...

Spring Festival: Tegbe Congratulates China, Backs Deeper Economic Integration

The Director-General of the Nigeria–China Strategic Partnership (NCSP), Joseph...

David Raya Urges Arsenal F.C. To Stay Fearless in Title Race

David Raya has called on Arsenal to embrace the...

Victor Osimhen Shines as Alessandro Del Piero Praises Galatasaray Star

Juventus legend Alessandro Del Piero has lauded Victor Osimhen...

Priyanka Chopra Jonas Addresses Stunt Speculation in The Bluff

Priyanka Chopra Jonas has responded to speculation about her...

Wizkid & Fela Kuti: Six Notable Samples and References

A recent cultural debate reignited after Wizkid declared himself...

Mikap Nigeria Ltd vs Keystone Bank: Dispute Over Alleged Debt Deepens

A legal dispute has emerged between Mikap Nigeria Limited...

Omah Lay Sparks Concern With New Video

Nigerian singer Omah Lay, born Omah Stanley Didia, has...

Neo Akpofure Threatens Legal Action Over Rape Allegation

Former Big Brother Naija Season 5 (Lockdown edition) housemate,...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img