Entertainment
Court Fixes September 29 for Judgment in Suit Seeking Fresh Probe into Mohbad’s Death
By Abigail David
The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled September 29, 2026, for judgment in a suit seeking to compel the Inspector-General of Police to reopen investigations into the death of late singer, Mohbad.
Justice James Omotosho fixed the date after hearing arguments in the case filed by the Break the Silence Foundation, a non-governmental organisation.
The suit, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/363/2026, lists the Inspector-General of Police, the Nigeria Police Force and the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, as respondents. None of the respondents was represented in court during Thursday’s proceedings.
Counsel to the foundation, Tunde Falola, adopted all processes filed on behalf of the plaintiff and urged the court to grant the reliefs sought, including an order compelling the police to conduct a fresh investigation into the circumstances surrounding the singer’s death.
The court also heard an application by Samson Obaboye, who sought to be joined in the matter as an interested party. Obaboye said he supported calls for transparency, accountability and justice and wished to present relevant facts before the court.
Justice Omotosho, however, dismissed the application, ruling that the applicant failed to establish sufficient legal interest in the case to justify his inclusion in the proceedings.
The court had earlier granted leave to the foundation to initiate the action through a judicial review and an order of mandamus seeking to compel police authorities to reopen the investigation.
Speaking with journalists after the hearing, Falola said the foundation was dissatisfied with the outcome of the earlier police investigation, arguing that several critical leads and aspects of the case were not thoroughly examined.
According to him, the organisation believes the circumstances surrounding Mohbad’s death remain unresolved and warrant further investigation in the interest of justice.
Mohbad died on September 12, 2023, at the age of 27, sparking widespread public concern and calls for accountability. His body was exhumed nine days later for an autopsy, but questions surrounding the cause of his death have persisted.
In February 2025, a Lagos Magistrate Court in Sabo, Yaba, discharged and acquitted Naira Marley, music promoter Sam Larry and others after legal advice from the Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecutions found no evidence linking them to the singer’s death.
Entertainment
Nollywood Stars Rally Support for Ogogo Amid Cancer Battle
By Abigail David
Nollywood stars have rallied behind veteran Yoruba actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, after his daughters appealed for urgent medical assistance as he battles stage-four cancer.
Actor and filmmaker Femi Adebayo urged the public to help the family connect with cancer specialists, hospitals and advanced treatment centres capable of reviewing Hassan’s medical records and recommending treatment options.
Adebayo stressed that the family was not seeking financial assistance, but medical expertise and direction.
Actress Toyin Abraham also shared a video of Hassan’s daughters, Lima and Kira Taiwo, on Instagram, urging people with possible medical connections to reach out to them.
The appeal followed emotional messages from the daughters, who said their father’s condition had deteriorated. They called on cancer specialists and medical facilities to consider his case and provide possible treatment options.
The daughters said Hassan had been unable to continue chemotherapy at his current hospital and appealed for another medical avenue that could give him a chance of recovery.
Hassan, 66, has spent more than four decades in the Nigerian film industry and has featured in over 300 movies, becoming one of the most recognisable figures in Yoruba cinema.
Entertainment
Osun Election: Davido says US officials have contacted him
By Abigail David
Afrobeats star Davido has claimed that officials linked to the United States Government have contacted him following concerns he raised about the forthcoming Osun State governorship election.
The singer made the claim in a social media post, saying, “Trump’s people have reached out,” while expressing excitement over the development.
However, Davido did not disclose who specifically contacted him, when the communication occurred or what was discussed.
The claim comes amid heightened political attention surrounding the Osun governorship election, with various stakeholders expressing concerns and opinions ahead of the poll.
Davido has previously used his social media platforms to comment on political developments, particularly those involving Osun State.
Entertainment
“It’s either I have my children or go to jail” – Mr Obasi reacts to ₦1bn lawsuit
By Abigail David
Mr Obasi, the estranged former husband of actress Judy Austin, has reacted to a reported ₦1 billion lawsuit, insisting that the legal action will not stop him from speaking about his alleged efforts to reconnect with his children.
In a video shared online, Obasi questioned why he was being sued over his public comments and continued to demand access to his children.
He also disputed an alleged claim in the lawsuit that he last contacted Judy in 2018, questioning what had happened between them since then.
Addressing the alleged defamation claims, Obasi said he would continue speaking about his experiences regardless of the legal consequences.
He also recounted an alleged encounter with Judy in Enugu, claiming they stayed at a hotel, discussed family matters and later visited Mr Bigg’s to purchase items for their children.
Obasi maintained that the lawsuit would not silence him, insisting that he would continue speaking until he is able to resolve what he described as the issue of access to his children.
-
News21 hours agoJigawa Governor Namadi Deserves More Recognition, Says Dr Hafiz Muktar
-
News7 hours agoHon. Jafaru Yakubu Commends President Tinubu’s Approval of Mutum Biyu–Garba Chede Road Reconstruction
-
News21 hours agoMiddle Belt Forum Says 2031 Presidency Should Return to Region
-
News21 hours agoKefas Urges Church Leaders to Defend Truth and Promote Peace in Taraba
-
Uncategorized16 hours agoADP Presidential Candidate Aliyu Bin Abbas Signs National Peace Accord
-
News21 hours agoBenue Assembly Elects Peter Ipusu as New Majority Leader
-
News21 hours agoPAAU Vice-Chancellor Attends 37th CVCNU Annual General Assembly at Unilorin
-
News21 hours agoKaduna Police to Hold Three-Day Youth Engagement Programme on Crime and Drug Abuse

You must be logged in to post a comment Login