x

Court orders immediate release of deposed Emir Sanusi from confinement

Justice Anwuli Chikere of the Federal High Court, Abuja, on Friday, ordered immediate release of deposed Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi II, who is currently confined to Awe town, Nasarawa State, after his banishment.
Justice Chikere, who gave the order in an ex-parte motion brought by the team of Sanusi’s lawyers, also granted the prayers to serve all the respondents through substituted means should it become impossible to personally effect the service.
The deposed emir had, on Thursday, sued the Inspector-General (I-G) of Police, Mohammed Adamu and Director-General, Department of State Services (DSS), Yusuf Bichi, over what he called “unlawful detention/confinement.”
Also joined in the motion with suit number: FHC/ABJ/CS/357/2020 are the Attorney General of Kano State, Ibrahim Mukhtar and Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami as 3rd and 4th respondents respectively.
 
Sanusi brought the application pursuant to Sections 34, 35, 40, 41 and 46 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended); Articles 5, 6. 10 and 12(1) of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act, CAP A9 LFN 2004, among others.
At the hearing of the application on Friday, Counsel to the dethroned emir, Fagbemi, thanked the court for accommodating their motion despite busy schedule.
“However, I want to apologise because by 5 O’Clock yesterday (Thursday), this suit had been taken to public domain. We don’t how it happened,” he said.
The judge, who was quite unruffled about the media report, said: “I am sure they are hear today.”
 “If you are a media person, please publish what transpired in court so that you will not be sued for libel,”  Chikere added.
Fagbemi, then, informed the court that they had a motion -ex-parte dated March 12 and filed same day.
“It is asking for two orders,” he said.
“An interim order of this honourable court releasing the applicant from the detention and/or confinement of the respondents and restoring the applicant’s right to human dignity, personal liberty, freedom of association and movement in Nigeria, (apart from Kano State) pending the hearing and determination of the applicant’s originating motion.
“The second leg of the application has to do with order to serve the respondents in the manner listed in (a) to (e) of the application (that is through substituted means should it become impossible to effect personal service)..
“And for such further order(s) as it pleases your lordship,” he prayed.
According to him, it is in the interest of justice to grant this application.
Fagbemi, further said the application was predicated on eight grounds and an affidavit of 22 paragraphs and one exhibit.
“There is also a written address in support.
“We also have an originating motion and we crave your indulgence to also rely on that one with affidavit.
“We rely on all these processes,” he said.
Fagbemi, who pleaded with the court to allow him made few remarks, said it was disheartening that prior to the service of the dethronement letter (Exhibit A) on Sanusi on Monday, there was an unusual presence of large number of officers of police and DSS who condoned off the palace, causing a serious restriction on his movement in and out of the palace.
He also said Sanusi’s health in Awe where he was presently was a source of worry.
“As we speak, there is no criminal proceeding pending against the applicant,” he said.
“We urge you to grant the sister’s leg and the second leg my lord,” he said.

Justice Chikere, in the ruling, said: “An interim order of this honourable court releasing the applicant from the detention and or confinement of the respondents and restoring the applicant’s rights to human dignity, personal liberty, freedom of association and movement in Nigeria, (apart from Kano State) pending the hearing and determination of the applicant’s originating summons is hereby granted.”

The judge also granted the applicant’s leave  to serve a copy of the released order and the processes in relation to the substantive suit on the respondents through substituted means.

Justice Chikere allowed Sanusi to serve the defendants in the following manner:  On the IGP, through any officer in his office at the police headquarters at Louis Edet House, Garki, Abuja; on the  the the DG DSS, through any officer at the DSS headquarters at Aso Drive in Abuja; on the AG of Kano State, through any officer at the state’s Ministry of Justice, Audu Bako Secretariat, Kano, and on the AGF, through any officer at the Federal Ministry of Justice in Abuja.

She ordered that the original summon should be served within three days from today, Friday.

The judge then adjourned the matter until March 26 to hear the substantive suit.

The deposed emir’s younger sister, Zainab Sanusi, who led other family members to the court, commended the judge for granting their requests in am interview with NAN.

“We are very happy with the ruling, Alhamdulillahi,” she said.

However, NAN observes that despite the wide publicity of the matter in the media, none of the respondents was represented in court.
The Kano State Government had, on Monday, announced the dethronement of the emir, banishing him to Loko in Nasarawa state before being taken to Awe town in the same state. (NAN)

Hot this week

Kogi Police Command Assures  Public of enhanced Security measures throughout fasting period

From Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Commissioner of Police, Naziru Bello...

FCT Council Election: I ‘ll only Back “Asiwaju ‘s” Supporters—Wike

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuThe FCT) Minister, Barr. Nyesom Wike,...

Terrorism Spillover from the Sahel: What Nigeria Must Prepare For

By Emmanuel Samdave OnucheThe Sahel has emerged as the...

Kano Assembly Speaker Extends Ramadan Greetings to Muslim Faithful

By Jabiru HassanThe Speaker of the , Rt. Hon....

Kaduna Gov Uba Sani Pledges No Demolition Without Compensation

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaKaduna State Governor, , has assured...

YDV Commends Tinubu’s Security Measures, Urges Increased Focus on Kwara State

The socio-political organization, (YDV), has commended President for his...

Union Newspapers Alleges El-Rufai Dragged Them to Court for Six Years Over N90bn Asset Report

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaThe has accused former Kaduna State...

FERMA Proposes ₦229.999 Billion 2026 Budget, Calls for Enhanced Legislative Support

By Jabiru HassanThe (FERMA) has submitted a proposed budget...

Defence beyond Guns: Why Human Life Matters 

    By Abu Jemimah Lami Defence is often imagined...

Amotekun Condemns ‘Gestapo-Style’ Arrest of Operative by Zone 11 Police in Ibadan

press releaseThe Oyo State Security Network Agency and Amotekun...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img