x

Death Toll Rises To 45 In Ikoyi Building Collapse

Emergency workers have recovered two more bodies from the site of the collapsed 21-storey building in Ikoyi, Lagos State.

The Commissioner for Information and Strategy in Lagos, Gbenga Omotoso, who confirmed this in a statement on Wednesday disclosed that the death toll from the incident has risen to 45.

“Two more bodies were recovered from the site today (Wednesday),” he said. “The recovery of the two bodies has brought to 45 the number of bodies retrieved from the site.

“The identification of bodies of the victims of the incident has continued at IDH, Yaba, Lagos Mainland. Thirty-two families have come forward to submit samples for DNA to identify bodies that they wish to claim.

“In cases where identification is clear and there are no arguments, the bodies will be released to the families.”

Omotoso stated that a committee to supervise the identification and release of the bodies – comprising senior officials of the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Justice – has begun work.

He stressed that the state government has not given any directive for the demolition of the two high-rise buildings standing at the site of the collapsed high-rise.

According to the commissioner, the Panel of Inquiry instituted to establish issues surrounding the collapse of the building has continued to sit and an integrity test is yet to be conducted on the buildings.

“It is, therefore, wrong to assert or speculate that the buildings will be demolished. The operation at the site of the collapsed building continues.

“Vehicular movement around the site has been smooth, following the reopening of the road,” he said.

The building – a high-rise under construction located along Gerrard Road in the nation’s commercial hub – collapsed on Monday last week.

While some of the victims have since been rescued and those injured treated, it remains unclear the total number of people in the building at the time of the collapse.

Witnesses, however, believe dozens may have been trapped.

Hot this week

Bayelsa Welcomes Unity Torch Ahead of 2nd Niger Delta Games

Bayelsa State has received the Unity Torch for the...

Northern Stakeholders, Coalition Stage Anti-Elrufai protest in Kaduna

...Urges his detention till proper investigationBy Achadu Gabriel,...

Kano Speaker Extends Condolences Over Singa Market Fire

By Jabiru HassanThe Speaker of the , Rt. Hon....

Endorsements Gather Momentum for Governor Alex Otti Ahead of 2027

Recent political events in Abia State have seen a...

Northern Stakeholders, Coalition Stage Anti-Elrufai protest in Kaduna

...Urges his detention till proper investigationBy Achadu Gabriel,...

NCC Seeks Stakeholders’ Inputs on National Telecoms Policy Review

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has called on interested...

Terrorism Spillover from the Sahel: What Nigeria Must Prepare For

By Emmanuel Samdave OnucheThe Sahel has emerged as the...

Prosperity Cup Organisers Train Referees Ahead of Tournament

Organisers of the , popularly known as the Prosperity...

Ramadan, Lent: 90 Convicts Freed in Kaduna as Gov Sani Calls for Unity

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaGovernor of has approved the release...

Pay 1% NCDF Levy or Risk Loss of Approvals, NCDMB Warns

The (NCDMB) has reiterated that payment of the one...

Political Stalwarts in Ukwa East Defect to Labour Party

By Okechukwu Keshi UkegbuThe in has recorded a fresh...

Relief for Former Councillors in Abia as Payment of Arrears Begins

By Okechukwu Keshi UkegbuFormer councillors who served in local...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img