Expert decries non implementation of FG renewable energy policy

Must read

The Nigerian Institute of Power Engineers (NIPE) have faulted the implementation of the Federal Government policy on renewable energy describing it as a mere paperwork

Chairman of NIPE, Uyo Chapter, Engr. Benedict Edenseting made this known when he led other executive members on a courtesy call to the commissioner for Power and Petroleum Development in Akwa Ibom, Dr John Etim yesterday in Uyo.

The Nigerian Renewable Energy Masterplan had sought to increase supply of renewable energy capacity from 13% in 2015 to 23% in 2025 and 36% in 2030.

But Edenseting who decried FG committment to the masterplan however commended Governor Udom Emmanuel for his interest in prioritising power as a critical infrastructure in changing the status of the state into an industrial hub.

“The Nigerian Renewable Energy Master Plan (NREMP), which seeks to increase the supply of renewable electricity from 13% of the total electricity generation in 2015 to 23% in 2025 and 36% 2030 is more of a paper work than reality.” He said.

While encouraging “governments at all levels to embrace the initiative of renewable energy,” the chairman said his institution was ready to collaborate with the State Government, through the Ministry of Power & Petroleum, to evolve the development of such sub-target.”

Comparing the importance of electricity to what blood is to the human system, he opined “… for a robust, viable and functional economy, government must, as a matter of necessity, improve on its approach and policy in the electrical energy value chain which include Generation, Transmission and Distribution.

Reacting to his speech, Etim tasked the institute to begin considering a paradigm shift towards renewable energy in the country saying it was high time that Nigeria began exploring in that direction.

Such the commissioner said is fast becoming a new option even in climes where electricity supply has been constant as it has proved to be environmentally friendly and cheaper.

He urged members of NIPE, especially, those from his Ministry, to put in their best in initiating new ideas and innovations, aimed at proffering solutions to the epileptic power supply currently witnessed, despite government effort.

While promising to partner them in the actualisation of Governor Emmanuel’s dream to make power available for all, Etim said his role was to co-ordinate the efforts and skills of every Stakeholder in the Power Sector, including those of NIPE.

Copyright DAYBREAK.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from DAYBREAK NEWS.

More articles



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article