Connect with us

News

FG Inaugurates Ebola Preparedness Task Force, Targets Zero Cases

Published

on

By Abigail David

The Federal Government has reaffirmed its commitment to maintaining Nigeria’s zero-case status for Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) with the inauguration of a Presidential Task Force on Ebola Preparedness.

The task force was inaugurated on Thursday at the State House in Abuja by the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, who also chairs the committee.

Gbajabiamila said Nigeria currently has no reported cases of Ebola and stressed that the government’s priority is to sustain that record through preventive measures and strengthened public health systems.

According to a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the task force is expected to coordinate national efforts aimed at preventing and responding to any potential Ebola outbreak.

Gbajabiamila said lessons from the 2014 Ebola outbreak had helped Nigeria build stronger surveillance and response mechanisms, adding that the country was now better prepared to tackle emerging public health threats.

“We have covered a lot of ground, and there are presently no reported cases in the country. That is why all hands must be on deck to ensure that preventive measures are prioritised rather than curative measures,” he said.

The Chief of Staff noted that sub-committees had been established to focus on critical areas, including border management, immigration control and disease surveillance, with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) providing technical leadership.

He added that the Federal Government was working closely with states that host international airports, including Lagos, Kano, Rivers, Enugu and the Federal Capital Territory, while also strengthening monitoring at land borders due to high cross-border movements.

Gbajabiamila expressed confidence that Nigeria could take a leading role in epidemic preparedness across Africa by building permanent response structures capable of addressing future outbreaks effectively.

The inauguration was attended by senior government officials, public health experts and representatives of international organisations, including the World Health Organization, as part of a coordinated effort to strengthen the country’s health security framework.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Kefas Urges Church Leaders to Defend Truth and Promote Peace in Taraba

Published

on

By

By Aga Samuel Imoter, Jalingo

Taraba State Governor Agbu Kefas has urged Christian leaders to defend truth, speak to political authorities when necessary and promote peace and moral values amid the social, economic and security challenges facing the country. Kefas made the call on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, while addressing participants at the Ministers’ Conference organised by the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Taraba State Chapter, in Jalingo.

The conference, themed “The Church and the State: Partners in God’s Plan in a Changing World,” brought together Christian ministers and leaders to discuss the role of the Church in nation-building, peacebuilding and good governance. The governor said government and the Church have distinct constitutional and spiritual responsibilities but could collaborate in areas that promote peace, development and social stability.

He urged Christian leaders to uphold truth, compassion, justice and moral discipline while advising political authorities without allowing partisan interests to compromise the Church’s independence. “The Church must not become an extension of any political party,” Kefas said, urging ministers to provide constructive guidance and resist divisions based on politics, ethnicity or personal interests.

Kefas also called on religious leaders to use their platforms to discourage corruption, drug abuse, violence, hatred and injustice, while encouraging young people to pursue legitimate opportunities. He assured residents that his administration would continue to promote fairness, justice and peaceful coexistence while protecting citizens’ rights and freedom of worship.

The governor also expressed readiness to deepen collaboration with religious institutions in education, peacebuilding, community development and efforts to address drug abuse. He appealed to citizens and religious leaders to embrace unity and forgiveness, saying the development of Taraba required collective responsibility.

Continue Reading

News

Kaduna Police to Hold Three-Day Youth Engagement Programme on Crime and Drug Abuse

Published

on

By

By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna

The Kaduna State Police Command will hold a three-day Police–Youth Engagement Programme from Thursday, August 20, to Saturday, August 22, 2026, as part of activities to mark International Youth Day and strengthen community efforts to prevent crime and promote peace.

The programme, themed “Different Contexts, Common Aspirations,” will bring together police officers, youths, community leaders, youth organisations and other stakeholders.In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Mansir Hassan, said the initiative was in line with a directive by the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, to deepen engagement between the police and young people.

According to the Command, activities will include a Walkathon/Peace Walk aimed at promoting unity, healthy living and responsible citizenship. A medical outreach will also provide basic healthcare services and health awareness to young people and community members.

The programme will conclude with a lecture and interactive session addressing crime prevention, cultism, drug abuse, political and digital thuggery, responsible social media use, youth participation in community policing and emerging security challenges.

The Commissioner of Police, Kaduna State Command, CP Rabiu Muhammad, urged youths, community leaders and other stakeholders to participate actively in the programme. He called on participants to support efforts to promote peace, unity, responsible citizenship and a safer Kaduna State.

Continue Reading

News

FUL Matriculates 900 Postgraduate Students, Reaffirms Commitment to Research

Published

on

By

From Noah Ocheni, Lokoja

The Federal University Lokoja (FUL) has matriculated 900 postgraduate students for the 2025/2026 academic session, with the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Ggenga Solomon Ibileye, reaffirming the institution’s commitment to expanding postgraduate opportunities and strengthening its research culture. Ibileye made the commitment during the postgraduate matriculation ceremony held at the university’s permanent site in Lokoja.

The Vice-Chancellor said research remained central to the value of postgraduate education and stressed the university’s commitment to maintaining and improving its academic standards.

He said postgraduate students would undergo prescribed coursework and examinations, while their projects, theses and dissertations would be subjected to originality and similarity checks. According to him, students would also be required to defend research proposals, participate in internal seminars and submit their work to external examiners.

“These processes ensure that the certificate eventually conferred by the university is worth the years a candidate will spend earning it,” he said. Ibileye said the university currently offers postgraduate programmes at the Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s and Doctor of Philosophy levels, covering both professional and academic disciplines.

He commended the Provost of the postgraduate college, Prof. Matthew Ola-Rotimi Ajayi, for his leadership and expressed confidence that the institution’s academic standards would continue to improve. The Vice-Chancellor congratulated the new students and welcomed them to the postgraduate scholarly community of the university.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.