x

FIFA Set to Decide on Nigeria’s Protest Over DR Congo Eligibility Dispute

FIFA is expected to deliver a ruling on Monday that could significantly impact Nigeria’s hopes of qualifying for the 2026 World Cup.

The decision follows a formal protest lodged by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) against the Democratic Republic of Congo Football Association over the alleged fielding of six ineligible players during last year’s African play-offs.

Nigeria was eliminated on penalties in Morocco, ending what appeared to be their campaign. However, the NFF insists the matter is not settled. “We believe that we have a chance; that is why we petitioned. If we knew we didn’t have a chance, we wouldn’t have petitioned,” said NFF General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi, emphasizing that all documents and legal arguments were properly submitted.

Key Issue: Nationality Rules

The case revolves around FIFA’s rules on nationality switches. Players may only change international allegiance once and must complete a formal approval process. Nigeria alleges that the Congolese FA misrepresented essential details regarding the players’ eligibility, particularly in light of DR Congo’s domestic ban on dual citizenship.

The matter has drawn attention partly due to Véron Mosengo-Omba, CAF’s General Secretary, who reportedly has close ties with FIFA President Gianni Infantino. Both sides are reportedly prepared to escalate the dispute to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if FIFA’s ruling is contested.

Possible Outcome

If Nigeria’s protest succeeds, the Super Eagles would be reinstated into the intercontinental play-offs in Mexico later this month, facing the winner of Jamaica vs New Caledonia for a final 2026 World Cup berth in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

Chairman of the National Sports Commission, Shehu Dikko, noted that the saga may extend beyond Monday’s decision. “It requires a lot of things, and by the time it is finally decided, whether Nigeria wins or DR Congo wins, I believe the case might even go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport,” he said.

This decision will be pivotal in determining the Super Eagles’s participation in the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

Hot this week

Woro Massacre: The Human Cost of Nigeria’s Insecurity

By Sam AgogoThe massacre in Woro village, Kwara State,...

The New Wave of Coups in Africa: Why Military Takeovers Are Back

By Babade Victor TemijopeOver the past four years, Africa...

Prof. Avidime Assumes Office as New Rector of Kogi State Polytechnic

Professor Saliu Sanusi Avidime has officially assumed duty as...

CDHR National President Extols Virtues of Late Beko Ransome-Kuti

By Jabiru HassanThe National President of the Centre for...

U.S Bill: Driving a wedge at Nigeria- China Partnership

 By Charles Onunaiju, AbujaJust recently, American’s political establishment took...

Olakunle Churchill Celebrates Wife Rosy Meurer on Her Birthday

Nigerian businessman and philanthropist Olakunle Churchill is celebrating his...

Arsenal Lead as 14 Teams Reach FA Cup Fifth Round

Arsenal stormed into the FA Cup fifth round for...

NO ONE IS ABOVE GOD, NOT EVEN THE POPE – AONDOAKAA

Former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of...

TY Danjuma Praises Trump for Spotlight on Middle Belt Insecurity at Plateau Varsity Event

Former Defence Minister, Lt.-Gen. Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma (retd.), has...

Diri Marks Sixth Anniversary in Office with Thanksgiving Service in Bayelsa

Bayelsa State Governor Douye Diri on Saturday marked six...

Asaba 2026: Tinubu, Oborevwori Rally Support as Police Games Open

By Anne AzukaPresident and Delta State Governor have reaffirmed...

U.S Bill: Driving a wedge at Nigeria- China Partnership

 By Charles Onunaiju, AbujaJust recently, American’s political establishment took...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img