ADDRESS DELIVERED BY HIS EXCELLENCY, THE GOVERNOR OF SOKOTO STATE, DR. AHMED ALIYU SOKOTO FCNA, AT THE PRESENTATION OF THE YEAR 2024 BUDGET TO THE SOKOTO STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY ON FRIDAY 1ST DECEMBER 2023.
Auzu Billahi Minashedanir Rajim.
Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim. May the benediction and salutations of Allah continue to be upon our noble Prophet’ Muhammad ‘(SAW).
- Fellow Citizens of Sokoto State, it is with gratitude to Almighty Allah, who in his infinite mercy and wisdom spares our lives to witness yet another milestone in our quest for a stronger, united and prosperous Sokoto State, as I today present the 2024 Budget for the consideration of this honourable house.
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members and indeed the good people of Sokoto State, we have every reason to thank Almighty Allah for giving us the opportunity on assumption in office to embarked upon execution of laudable programs and projects which have direct bearing to our people. I have to at this juncture, thank the Speaker and Honourable members of this hallowed
Chamber for the speedy consideration and passage of the supplementary budget that we have forwarded on our assumption which has indeed gave us the opportunity to achieve this feat.
- This Administration will continue to seek support and prayers for it to deliver all its campaign promises to our teeming populace, because it is only by so doing, we can bring the desired positive change that will engender economic prosperity and stability to our state.
- There is no doubt the security challenges being experienced in some local Government Areas in the State remains our headache and poses major constraints to our renewed intention and determination to bring about an accelerated economic growth and development within the shortest possible time. However, my administration remained focus on pursuit of required synergy and effective collaborations with all the Security outfits, traditional rulers, religious leaders and other key stakeholders in the state so as to nip in the bud all the security challenges bedevilling our rapid development as a State.
- Mr. Speaker, Hon. Members, it is gladdening to state here that, our effort towards tackling banditry is
gradually yielding positive results, as we all have been seeing in the media on the success recorded day by day by our gallant security personnel.
- Since we came on board, we have taken measures aimed at guaranteeing the safety of lives and property of our people. We are determined and remain committed to that course.
- To further complement the good effort of our conventional security outfits, efforts are in top gear to set up a security Community Guard corps to be fully backed up by law so that it can operate within the ambit of the law.
- Let me at this juncture, restates our firmed political will towards assisting our security agencies in order to carryout their constitutional responsibility of protecting the lives and property of the citizenry.
- On this premise, I want to make a passionate appeal to our well-meaning and respected citizens to continue to rally round the present administration, by providing useful tips to security agencies on any suspicious
character, so that together we can secure this beautiful land of ours.
- As you are all aware, promoting Islamic affairs is the second priority on our nine-point smart agenda, which we will vigorously pursuit in the interest of our society.
In this regard, my administration has restored the monthly allowances hitherto enjoyed by Imams, their deputies and Mu’azams, monthly stipends to the physically challenged as well as financial support to Islamiyya schools and Qur’anic teachers in the state.
- Recently, we set up a committee that would work out modalities on how to ensure effective management and maintenance of our Jumu’at mosques in the metropolis for a start.
- Similarly, Mr Speaker, in our inherent desire to properly reposition our State and bring about development to our dear State, this year’s Budget is Tagged “Budget of Hope and resilience for infrastructural development”. Alhamdullah, as committed democrats, we determined as a people and as a government to do everything humanly possible to
effectively transform all sectors of the economy in the state for a sustainable economic Growth.
REVIEW OF THE YEAR 2023 BUDGET
- The year under review has been a challenging one being a transition year coupled with insecurity and economic hardship which have ravaged the state yet on assumption in May, we embarked on massive evacuation of refuse, which has become nuisance to people in the metropolis, constructed Gawon Nama and Sahara Road Networks, commences construction of 500 Wajake Housing Estate, installation and rehabilitation of streetlight in the metropolis, repaired potholes in all the township road network, settled the salary backlog owed to Civil servants, provision of portable drinking water and beautification of roads leading to Government House so as to give Sokoto a more befitting look.
- Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, you may recall a fortnight ago, I presided over townhall meeting to collect views and aspiration from divers stake holders in the state, as regards to development of the 2024 fiscal tool. I want to assure this Hallowed Chamber that this year’s budget is the reflection of the views of the masses of Sokoto State.
- Mr. Speaker, Hon. Members and my fellow citizens, now our 2024 BUDGET OUTLAY is as follows:
- Total Government Share of FAAC- 138,929,550,974.00
- Independent Generated Revenue = 37,085,037,053.63
Total Recurrent Revenue= 176,014,588,027.63
- Opening Balance= 19,310,358,374.60
- Aids and Grants= 14,396,222,781.12
- Capital Development Funds= 60,379,186,380.00
TOTAL REVENUE 270,100,355,563.35
- Personnel Cost= 46,923,537,990.52
- Overhead Cost= 50,938,232,612.56
- Capital Estimate= 172,238,584,960.27
TOTAL EXPENDITURE= 270,100,355,563.35
- Ladies and Gentlemen, let me re-emphasize that in the incoming year, i.e 2024, our budget will focus mainly on our nine-point smart agenda with highlight as follows: –
- Procurement of security equipment and machineries as assistance to security agencies in the state to the tune of N2.5Billion Naira.
- Procurement of security vehicles, equipment and motorcycles for security Guard amounting to 1.5Billion Naira
- Completion of Sokoto State University Teaching Hospital (SSUTH) at Kasarawa.
- Completion and installations of medical, furniture and equipment to Sokoto State University Teaching Hospital.
- Completion of Murtala Muhammad Hospital.
- Among others is to gulp N31,015,441,399.19
EDUCATION SECTOR: Comprising Basic Education, Science and Technology and Higher Education stands at
- Development of irrigation schemes at Wurno, Kware, Tungar Tudu, Kalmalo, Taloka, Kwakwazo and Muza
- Procurement of 20,000bags of assorted grains
- Provision of Assorted fertiliser and other related farm input/implements
- All these would cost the sum of N10,252,388,587.62
- Procurement of water treatment chemical
- Provision of state wide constituency rural water supply project
- All these are to cost Government sum of N9,243,892,234.54
- Purchase of Grains for distribution to Jumu’at Mosques Imams, District Heads, Village Heads and Religious Leaders.
- Rehabilitation of cemeteries along Birnin Kebbi/Jega road, Gusau/Kano Road,
Wamakko/Bukari road and rehabilitation of eid prayer ground across the 23 Local Government among others.
- Construction of mosques & Islamiyya Schools as well as promotion of Da’awah activities N9,907,759,878.33
WORKS AND TRANSPORT SECTOR:
- Ladies and Gentlemen, we have also made adequate provision on humanitarians services, poverty reduction, and youth empowerment programmes among others
- Before I conclude my speech let me express my profound appreciation to our development partners and our civil servant for the role, they played in actualising this Budget draft, and more importantly subsequent implementation of government policies and programmes, comes 2024.
- My sincere appreciation also goes to the entire people of the state for their continued support and fervent prayers to our administration for this, we remain highly grateful.
- Finally, I wish to acknowledge the important role played by this Honourable House which led to the numerous successes so far recorded by the present administration. May Allah (S.W.T) continue to guide us all. At this point, I wish to lay before this Honourable House, the 2024 Appropriation law for its consideration and passage into law.
- Thank you and Wassalam Alaikum.