x

Interior Minister Recants, says Immigration Officer Not Shot on Orders of Chinese expat

Minister of Interior Tunji-Ojo has retracted his earlier statement, that a Chinese expatriate had a hand in the shooting of a Nigerian immigration officer at a Chinese firm in Niger State.

The minister in a statement signed by his spokesman, Alao Babatunde said further investigations revealed that the gunshot was not ordered by a Chinese national.

The statement read: “Following the report of the alleged shooting of an officer of the Nigeria Immigration Service in Niger State, further investigations have revealed that the officer was hit by a stray bullet that was neither shot on the order of the Chinese company nor its employee.

“A full-fledged investigation has been launched into the shooting of the personnel in collaboration with other security agencies. This is to unravel the detailed circumstances surrounding the shooting while giving assurance that anyone found culpable will be brought to book.

“The Minister reaffirms his strong commitment to ensuring the safety, dignity, and professional integrity of all law enforcement officers. He emphasises the government’s ongoing support for law-abiding businesses in Nigeria and reiterates the Ministry of Interior’s dedication to fostering strong partnerships with foreign nationals, aiming to build sustainable collaboration for social economic development.”

The minister had earlier been reported to have at a stakeholders sensitisation workshop on the implementation of the Nigeria Visa policy 2025, declared that the Nigerian government will take up the matter of the shooting as a diplomatic issue.

He said the development alone is an attack on Nigeria. “It will never happen. It will never be tolerated.”


Earlier the China Chamber of General in Nigeria in a statement signed by its Director General Dr. Cui Guangzhen had described the statement credited to the minister as utterly false and not a reflection of what happening

Hot this week

Union Newspapers Alleges El-Rufai Dragged Them to Court for Six Years Over N90bn Asset Report

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaThe has accused former Kaduna State...

Commodore Okokota Takes Over Command of NNS SOROH

Commodore Christian Okokota has officially assumed duty as the...

NUJ FCT, NDPC to Partner on Data Shield Pact to Protect Journalists Against Cyber Threats

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuThe Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ,...

Amotekun Condemns ‘Gestapo-Style’ Arrest of Operative by Zone 11 Police in Ibadan

press releaseThe Oyo State Security Network Agency and Amotekun...

NUJ FCT, NDPC to Partner on Data Shield Pact to Protect Journalists Against Cyber Threats

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuThe Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ,...

Bayelsa Governor Diri Urges Oil Firms to Support Prosperity Cup Football Tournament

Bayelsa State Governor, Douye Diri, has called on multinational...

Bayelsa Police Promote 228 Officers to Assistant Superintendent Rank

The Nigeria Police Force has promoted 228 officers from...

Kano Deputy Governor Visits Singa Market Fire Victims, Sends Ramadan Message

Kano State Deputy Governor Aminu Abdussalam Gwarzo has expressed...

Workers Dismiss Corruption Allegation Against NSITF CEO, Pass Vote of Confidence

The Association of Senior Staff of Banks, Insurance, and...

FCT Area Council Polls: AMAC PDP Chairmanship Candidate Steps Down For APC Candidate

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuAhead of the Federal Capital Territory...

FCT Council Elections: Wike declares Friday Work Free

.. Restrict Movement From 8pm On Friday To 6pm...

Kano Assembly Speaker Extends Ramadan Greetings to Muslim Faithful

By Jabiru HassanThe Speaker of the , Rt. Hon....

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img