Connect with us

News

ITF screens 225,000 artisans nationwide for global certification, jobs

Published

on

By Israel Adamu 

 The Industrial Training Fund, ITF, has commenced the nationwide screening of 225,000 practicing artisans under its Skill Up Artisans (SUPA) programme, a Federal Government initiative designed to equip Nigerian artisans with globally competitive skills, internationally recognised certification and access to employment and business opportunities.

Director of the ITF’s Technical and Vocational Skills Training Department, Mrs. Nancy  Ndidiamaka  Ekong, disclosed this in Jos on Tuesday while speaking with journalists during the screening exercise 

She said the exercise is being conducted simultaneously across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, as part of efforts to implement President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda by improving the livelihoods of skilled workers.

According to Ekong, the programme is specifically targeted at practicing artisans and should not be mistaken for an empowerment scheme.

“This programme is not an empowerment programme. It is meant for practicing artisans who already have skills. Whether you are a tailor, plumber, electrician or in any other trade, we are helping you improve your competence and become globally competitive,” she said.

She explained that while many Nigerian artisans possess technical skills, they often lack the professional work ethics, customer relations and aesthetic standards required to compete in today’s labour market.

“Our goal is to improve not only their technical competence but also their attitude to work and professionalism so they can compete favourably with artisans anywhere in the world,” she added.

Ekong disclosed that participants would undergo training free of charge, stressing that the ITF would pay the master trainers while beneficiaries would receive transportation stipends throughout the programme.

She said the training, which lasts three and a half months, also provides internationally recognised certification that would enhance participants’ employability within and outside Nigeria. 

Highlighting the programme’s benefits, she said successful participants would exit through three pathways ,business incubation with technical and financial support, job placement with employers within Nigeria, and opportunities for overseas employment where skilled artisans are in demand.

“Some participants will have their businesses incubated and supported financially and technically. Others will be linked with employers of labour, while some will have opportunities to work outside Nigeria because many countries require skilled artisans,” she said.

Reviewing the first phase of the programme, Ekong described it as a success, noting that beneficiaries had completed both technical and soft skills training and were currently undergoing certification examinations.

She said the certification exercise had already been concluded in Abuja, where the pilot phase was conducted, adding that it would be extended to other states before the commencement of business incubation for successful participants.

According to her, tailors constituted the largest group of artisans trained during the pilot phase.

She expressed confidence that the programme would improve the quality of Nigeria’s skilled workforce, enhance productivity and create sustainable livelihoods for thousands of artisans across the country.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

DSS Trails, Nabs Man Impersonating Personnel in Abuja

Published

on


*Arrested in tactical uniform, with fake pistol, allegedly extorting motorists

The Department of State Services (DSS) late on Wednesday in Abuja arrested a man identified as Moferewa Maiye, discovered to be impersonating a personnel of the Service.

Maiye, who claimed to hail from Agbajojun Village, Mopamuro Local Government Area of Kogi State, was trailed and arrested by DSS officers in his hideout around the NITEL Junction, along Adetokunbo Ademola Way, Wuse II, Abuja.

At the time of his arrest, Maiye was in DSS tactical uniform and armed with a fake pistol.

According to a security source, the Secret police acted on credible intelligence that Maiye was using the uniform and the fake weapon to intimidate commuters and motorists, extorting money from them.

During interrogation, added the source, the suspect reportedly claimed that his brother was a DSS personnel who died years ago.

He identified the brother as Monday Maiye, stressing that the DSS kit in his possession was his late brother’s.

The suspect is currently being interrogated as security operatives, the source stated, adding that the Service was investigating how he came about the DSS uniform and kit.

“Investigators are also trying to establish how long the suspect has been involved in similar acts of impersonation and extortion.

“The arrest underscores growing concerns by the Service over the activities of individuals who impersonate security personnel to intimidate members of the public and commit criminality,” the source declared.

Continue Reading

News

24 Bandits Killed As Army, DSS, Vigilantes Foil Mass Kidnap in Katsina Community, Rescue Victims

Published

on

At least 24 bandits were killed on Tuesday after soldiers of the Nigerian Army, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS), Katsina Community Watch Corps foiled an attempt to mass-kidnap persons in Gidan Bawa village, Kandarawa Ward, Bakori Local Government Area of the state.

According to a security source, the operation followed sustained intelligence which uncovered plans by about 40 gunmen loyal to notorious bandit kingpin, Isiya Kwashen Garwa, to invade the village and abduct many residents, especially women and children.

The plot, sources said, was intended to replicate the mass abduction of residents of Woro community in Kwara State, ostensibly to embarrass the government.

Acting swiftly on the intelligence, DSS operatives mobilised the Community Watch Corps, and the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) from Guga camp, and ambushed the bandits.

The source disclosed that the joint security operatives neutralised 24 bandits and rescued the abducted villagers.

Security operatives also recovered 19 stolen cattle from the community during the raid.

The source added that there were ongoing efforts to track down the fleeing bandits.

Continue Reading

News

KADSG Faults ADC Guber Candidate’s Criticism, Defends Sani’s Education Funding Records

Published

on

By

…Says 25% of budget spent on education in three years
…Says Ashiru needs lesson in education funding

By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna

The Kaduna State Government has faulted African Democratic Congress (ADC) governorship candidate Alhaji Isa Mohammed Ashiru over his criticism of Governor Uba Sani’s commitment to education, insisting the state has consistently surpassed global funding benchmarks.

Commissioner for Information and Culture, Malam Ahmed Maiyaki, said in a statement on Wednesday that while Ashiru is entitled to criticise, his claims on education funding were inaccurate.

“Mr. Ashiru is entitled to criticise the government. But when an aspirant to the highest office in the state gets basic facts about education funding wrongly, a little lesson becomes necessary,” he said.

Maiyaki faulted Ashiru’s claim that UNESCO recommends 15 to 20 per cent budgetary allocation to education. He explained that the Education 2030 Framework for Action recommends at least 4 to 6 per cent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) or 25 per cent of total public expenditure.

According to the commissioner, Kaduna State allocated 25 per cent of its budget to education in 2024, 26.14 per cent in 2025, and another 25 per cent of its N985.9 billion 2026 budget, amounting to about N246.5 billion.

“For three consecutive years, therefore, Governor Uba Sani has committed about one-quarter of Kaduna State’s annual budget to education,” Maiyaki disclosed.

Investment yields results

The commissioner said the investment has yielded results across basic, tertiary and skills education. He noted that the National Board for Technical Education recognised the three Skills Development and Vocational Training Centres established by the governor as the best-equipped in Nigeria.

Maiyaki added that out-of-school children in the state dropped from over 550,000 to 187,719 within three years through enrolment drives and infrastructure upgrades. “The Federal Government has also drawn from the Kaduna model” for national interventions, he said.

KASU interventions

On Kaduna State University (KASU), Maiyaki listed interventions including over N800 million for staff welfare, N146 million for withheld salaries and SIWES obligations, and a N50 million monthly standing intervention.

The government also provided more than N200 million in overhead support in 2026 alone, and over N300 million for accreditation of 57 academic programmes and resource verification for 60 postgraduate programmes. These, he said, led to full accreditation of seven professional programmes and the university’s Digital Learning Centre.

Maiyaki further disclosed that more than N1.6 billion has been committed to scholarships and student support, alongside a 50 per cent reduction in tuition fees across state-owned tertiary institutions.

“These interventions are hardly the actions of a government that is ‘lukewarm’ towards education,” the statement added.

Challenge on professor resignations

On allegations that about 200 professors resigned from KASU due to poor conditions, the commissioner challenged critics to provide names, dates and reasons.

“Repetition does not turn an unverified allegation into fact,” he said.

Maiyaki also acknowledged ASUU-KASU’s role in advocating for members and said the administration remains committed to constructive engagement. However, he noted that domesticating Federal Government-ASUU agreements in state universities requires “serious legal, financial and institutional consideration, not political grandstanding.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.