News
Nigeria Weighs Sanctions Against South Africa Over Xenophobic Attacks
By Abigail David
The Federal Government has expressed dissatisfaction with South Africa’s handling of the recent wave of xenophobic attacks against Nigerians, warning that diplomatic and economic measures, including a review of bilateral privileges, are under consideration.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, disclosed this on Monday after briefing President Bola Tinubu at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.
She accused South African authorities of failing to respond decisively to attacks on Nigerian nationals, alleging that businesses owned by Nigerians had been looted and destroyed while their children faced intimidation in schools.
The minister also dismissed claims that the affected Nigerians were illegal migrants, insisting that many of them are legitimate residents and business owners.
According to her, Nigeria’s historical support for South Africa during the anti-apartheid struggle makes the treatment of its citizens particularly disappointing.
“Nigeria is not happy with South Africa,” she said, recalling the country’s financial and political contributions to South Africa’s liberation movement.
Odumegwu-Ojukwu noted that the Federal Government was considering possible retaliatory measures, including reviewing privileges enjoyed by South African businesses and nationals in Nigeria, although she stressed that such decisions would be taken at the highest level of government.
Her comments followed resolutions by the National Assembly, with the House of Representatives recommending a temporary suspension of business permits for South African companies operating in Nigeria, while the Senate proposed sending a high-level delegation led by Senate President Godswill Akpabio to South Africa.
The minister also confirmed that President Tinubu had approved five evacuation flights to repatriate Nigerians willing to return home amid the crisis.
According to her, 1,092 Nigerians have registered for voluntary evacuation, with more than 500 already screened and cleared for departure. The first evacuation flight, initially scheduled for Monday, was postponed to Wednesday due to logistical reasons.
She explained that the evacuation exercise, being coordinated with the National Emergency Management Agency and other government agencies, would be followed by rehabilitation support for returnees.
The latest tensions were sparked by anti-immigration protests organised by groups including Operation Dudula and March for March, which have heightened fears among foreign nationals across several South African provinces.
Nigeria had earlier summoned South Africa’s Acting High Commissioner, Lesoli Machele, for discussions over the attacks, while the South African government reportedly expressed reservations about Nigeria’s evacuation plans.
The current developments revive memories of previous xenophobic attacks in 2008, 2015 and 2019, which claimed lives, displaced thousands of foreign nationals and strained diplomatic relations between both countries.
News
Kefas Urges Church Leaders to Defend Truth and Promote Peace in Taraba
By Aga Samuel Imoter, Jalingo
Taraba State Governor Agbu Kefas has urged Christian leaders to defend truth, speak to political authorities when necessary and promote peace and moral values amid the social, economic and security challenges facing the country. Kefas made the call on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, while addressing participants at the Ministers’ Conference organised by the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Taraba State Chapter, in Jalingo.
The conference, themed “The Church and the State: Partners in God’s Plan in a Changing World,” brought together Christian ministers and leaders to discuss the role of the Church in nation-building, peacebuilding and good governance. The governor said government and the Church have distinct constitutional and spiritual responsibilities but could collaborate in areas that promote peace, development and social stability.
He urged Christian leaders to uphold truth, compassion, justice and moral discipline while advising political authorities without allowing partisan interests to compromise the Church’s independence. “The Church must not become an extension of any political party,” Kefas said, urging ministers to provide constructive guidance and resist divisions based on politics, ethnicity or personal interests.
Kefas also called on religious leaders to use their platforms to discourage corruption, drug abuse, violence, hatred and injustice, while encouraging young people to pursue legitimate opportunities. He assured residents that his administration would continue to promote fairness, justice and peaceful coexistence while protecting citizens’ rights and freedom of worship.
The governor also expressed readiness to deepen collaboration with religious institutions in education, peacebuilding, community development and efforts to address drug abuse. He appealed to citizens and religious leaders to embrace unity and forgiveness, saying the development of Taraba required collective responsibility.
News
Kaduna Police to Hold Three-Day Youth Engagement Programme on Crime and Drug Abuse
By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna
The Kaduna State Police Command will hold a three-day Police–Youth Engagement Programme from Thursday, August 20, to Saturday, August 22, 2026, as part of activities to mark International Youth Day and strengthen community efforts to prevent crime and promote peace.
The programme, themed “Different Contexts, Common Aspirations,” will bring together police officers, youths, community leaders, youth organisations and other stakeholders.In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Mansir Hassan, said the initiative was in line with a directive by the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, to deepen engagement between the police and young people.
According to the Command, activities will include a Walkathon/Peace Walk aimed at promoting unity, healthy living and responsible citizenship. A medical outreach will also provide basic healthcare services and health awareness to young people and community members.
The programme will conclude with a lecture and interactive session addressing crime prevention, cultism, drug abuse, political and digital thuggery, responsible social media use, youth participation in community policing and emerging security challenges.
The Commissioner of Police, Kaduna State Command, CP Rabiu Muhammad, urged youths, community leaders and other stakeholders to participate actively in the programme. He called on participants to support efforts to promote peace, unity, responsible citizenship and a safer Kaduna State.
News
FUL Matriculates 900 Postgraduate Students, Reaffirms Commitment to Research
From Noah Ocheni, Lokoja
The Federal University Lokoja (FUL) has matriculated 900 postgraduate students for the 2025/2026 academic session, with the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Ggenga Solomon Ibileye, reaffirming the institution’s commitment to expanding postgraduate opportunities and strengthening its research culture. Ibileye made the commitment during the postgraduate matriculation ceremony held at the university’s permanent site in Lokoja.
The Vice-Chancellor said research remained central to the value of postgraduate education and stressed the university’s commitment to maintaining and improving its academic standards.
He said postgraduate students would undergo prescribed coursework and examinations, while their projects, theses and dissertations would be subjected to originality and similarity checks. According to him, students would also be required to defend research proposals, participate in internal seminars and submit their work to external examiners.
“These processes ensure that the certificate eventually conferred by the university is worth the years a candidate will spend earning it,” he said. Ibileye said the university currently offers postgraduate programmes at the Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s and Doctor of Philosophy levels, covering both professional and academic disciplines.
He commended the Provost of the postgraduate college, Prof. Matthew Ola-Rotimi Ajayi, for his leadership and expressed confidence that the institution’s academic standards would continue to improve. The Vice-Chancellor congratulated the new students and welcomed them to the postgraduate scholarly community of the university.
-
News18 hours agoBUDGET OFFICE OF THE FEDERATIONRESPONSE TO THE 2026 U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE FISCAL TRANSPARENCY REPORT ON NIGERIA
-
News20 hours agoBeyond the ECOWAS–AES Divide: Rethinking Regional Cooperation, Peace and Security in West Africa
-
News20 hours agoTinubu Committed to Transforming Nigeria’s Electricity Sector, Says Power Minister
-
Crime17 hours agoNDLEA Arrests Alleged Cocaine Trafficking Kingpin at Lagos Airport
-
News21 hours agoMangu Killings: ADC Governorship Candidate Calls for Immediate Security Action
-
News20 hours agoTinubu Urges Politicians to Avoid Divisive Politics Ahead of 2027 Elections
-
News20 hours agoDelta to Train 1,000 Youths in Agribusiness to Boost Agriculture
-
News21 hours ago24 Killed, Three Injured in Fresh Attack on Plateau Community

You must be logged in to post a comment Login