Advertisement

Pet parrot saves Australian man from house fire

Must read

A man’s pet parrot has saved him from a fire that gutted his house.

The man’s house in Brisbane, Australia, was well alight when firefighters arrived just after 2am but Anton Nguyen had escaped without injury.

Mr Nguyen said his pet parrot, named Eric, had woken him up before the smoke detectors raised the alarm.

“I heard a bang and Eric – my parrot – he started to yell so I woke up and I smelled a bit of smoke,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

READ ALSO: Bayern wants Alaba to stay, says club chairman Rummenigge

“I grabbed Eric, opened the door and looked to the back of the house and saw some flames.Advertisement

“And so I’ve grabbed my bag and took off and bolted downstairs.

“I’m in shock but I’m fine,” he said.

“Everything’s alright so long as I have myself and the bird.”

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Acting Inspector Cam Thomas said the parrot had squawked “Anton! Anton!” to alert Mr Nguyen of the danger.

“There were smoke detectors [but] the bird alerted before the smoke detectors went off.”

The fire had “pretty much well engulfed” the house, he added.

Copyright DAYBREAK.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from DAYBREAK NEWS.

- Advertisement -

More articles

1506 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article