x

Presidency deny rumours of rift between Buhari and Osinbajo

By Jennifer Y Omiloli

President Muhammadu Buhari announced on Friday that he was in absolute control of his government and that no one was too powerful for him to deal with.

He also confirmed his deputy, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo aides’ sack, claiming it was done as part of his government’s cost-cutting movements.

In his first official statement since the news of the sacking of Osinbajo’s 35 aides broke days ago, the president said on Friday that, contrary to media reports, there was no rift between him and Osinbajo.

A statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, confirmed the ongoing revision of the presidency which culminated in the termination and non-renewal of some political appointments.

It said the vice president’s office had been shed of such appointments as well.

However, the statement was silent about who was equally sacked among Buhari’s aides.

The statement reads: “The presidency wishes to confirm that there is, ongoing, an unprecedented overhaul of the nation’s seat of government, arising from which a number of political appointments have either been revoked or not renewed in the second term.

“The exercise, which has been ordered by the president, is to streamline decision-making, cut down multiple authorities and reduce the cost of administration.

“It is also an appropriate response to the general perception that the presidency has an oversized and bloated workforce which acts as a drag on efficiency.

“As may have been noticed by discerning members of the public, a number of political appointees among the few that served in the office of the president were not returned for the second term.

“The office of the vice president, His Excellency Yemi Osinbajo has, in compliance with the directive of the president, equally been shed of a number of such appointees.

“In carrying out these exercises, the overriding objective is to save taxpayer money and deliver needed service to the public. As far as the president is concerned, there is no scope for an excuse for administration after getting a huge mandate to run the country for four more years.

“In the light of this, the presidency wishes to strongly deny rumours of a rift between President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo. The relationship between the two leaders remains excellent and trusting. Together, they will script a glorious future for the nation.

“The media reports of a soured relationship are originating from the minds and mouths of mischief makers who are desperate for entertaining stories from the Aso Rock Villa with which to titillate the public. This ulterior motive is the basis of the wrong interpretation given to the recent exercise in the presidency.

“There has been a streamlining of staff going on for a while. The president has always had fewer staff than the vice president, and there were always plans to reduce the number of staff at the Villa.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

NATIONAL POLICE DAY: SOKOTO  POLICE COMMAND  CELEBRATE DAY

By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto In continuation to mark National Police...

Tinubu political adviser, Hakeem Baba Ahmed resigns from.office 

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaDr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, the political adviser...

PLATEAU APC LEADER SENATOR LALONG HOLDS MORE ENGAGEMENTS WITH STAKEHOLDERS 

Senator representing Plateau South Senatorial District Simon Bako Lalong...

Bokkos killings – Death toll hits 52

As  Plateau govt calls for calm says ,few  arrest...

Corruption stalls Nigeria’s Guinness World record boxing championship fight – Bash Ali writes Tinubu

*Say's 132 countries expected in Nigeria By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna Nigerian's...

Kaduna: Uba Sani has revamps health sector- Commissioner  

*As NPSC ranked Kaduna State By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna Governor Uba...

North-Central APC adopts SGF Akume as leader, targets 6 million votes for Tinubu in 2027

By Isreal  Adams Jos The North-Central All Progressives Congress, APC,...

CSOs Inaugurate New Committee to Enhance Budget Accountability and Combat Corruption

• …CBIAMEC to Focus on Oversight, Transparency, and Effective...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img